Skippy/Wendy Filter > Can you explain the size to gallons ratio? - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
TorontoBoy

Feedback Score: (0)
TorontoBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Wendy Filter References

For my turtle, who is very dirty, I am planning to build a Wendy filter.

For the sake of others wanting to know about the Wendy filter, here is the reference back to Wendy and a schematic of her filter design on p3. You can only see the photos diagram if you join their forum.

In general the Wendy filter can be as large or as small as you wish. There is a prefilter and a pump that sits in the water. Water is pumped out of the tank to bottom of a container, where the water rises. A second pipe is drilled into the container below the top line of the container, and flows water back into your tank. In the container she usually only puts large rocks and then some lava rocks. I'll probably put traditional biomedia ceramic cylinders and pot scrubbers.

[I have a diagram of the Wendy filter but cannot figure out how to post it. You need to log into another forum to see the diagram, so a URL will not work.]

For pumps she uses anything from a pond pump to an 80gph water fountain pump. For containers she uses anything from a large rubbermaid container to a candy jar.

The issue I have is that for the Wendy filter to work the outflow from the container has to be above the waterline of your tank. The top edge of my turtle tank is high, so I would need to elevate the container so that the outflow will clear the top edge of my tank, which is at 4'.
TorontoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
pyrrolin
Devoted Member

pyrrolin is just really nice

so that is a Wendy filter, thanks for the link, been curious about it

about 20 tanks sitting unused in storage due to lack of space

Yes I have MTS
pyrrolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Ryan.Wilton
Devoted Member

Ryan.Wilton is on a distinguished road

Ya TorontoBoy, When I was reading that post, I had been considering the same thing. However, if you were to adjust the intake to use gravity (via a shut-off valve) you could easily set it up with the pump on the return and solve that issue.

I might build one for my Turtles... the stupid Rena XP4 isn't working right (maybe because it has the top of a Rena XP1 cuz the 4 broke lol)

Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Wilton View Post
Ya TorontoBoy, When I was reading that post, I had been considering the same thing. However, if you were to adjust the intake to use gravity (via a shut-off valve) you could easily set it up with the pump on the return and solve that issue.

I might build one for my Turtles... the stupid Rena XP4 isn't working right (maybe because it has the top of a Rena XP1 cuz the 4 broke lol)
Yes, I could restrict input with a shut-off valve as well as put a pump on the return, but if the container outflow was below the aquarium water line I would worry about the container overflowing if that pump failed. Wendy's containers do not have water tight lids, unlike canisters, so it is difficult to overflow. If I flooded our living room there would be hell to pay, and our turtle, and probably I, would be looking for a new home.

I was in Aquapets (Steeles/Kennedy area) this week and at the front of the store I think they have this type of setup for their 2 koi tanks. They have a big ass sponge prefilter, then a large pump that flows the water up to a huge black rectangular covered container that looks like the size and shape of a tool box off a pickup truck! Water then flows down, using gravity back to the koi tank. They have one for each tank, and the water and fish looked really clean.
TorontoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Ryan.Wilton
Devoted Member

Ryan.Wilton is on a distinguished road

Yeah, this is the main idea for a sump filter. Like I said before, just go with the sump design and all should work out well. Beyond which, if you were to install a secondary overflow pipe, above the return and have it go through the floor/wall to a drain pipe, then you'd have no worries

Tags
canister , diy , filter , skippy , wendy