Mhmm force spawning bristlenose? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Catfish
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Catfish A forum dedicated to the catfish. The never ending L-numbers <3

Old 10-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #1
Splak
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
Splak is on a distinguished road
Default Mhmm force spawning bristlenose?

I have a question about breeding bristlenose. My albino male has gotten so lazy at breeding, my females are plump and healthy.

They're sharing a 40g tank with maybe 25-50 fry (they always hiding so its hard to tell)

They have a constant supply of green beans from a can (no salt added) and every other day get a Northfin kelp waffer.

I have tried the rainy season trick, lowering temp a few degrees and a big water change (about 50%) before a storm, then every day raising the temp a degree or two. But nothing....

I was wondering what I can do to encourage him to breed again.

I have 1 male albino longfin, 1 male superred short fin, 1 female longfin albino and a female brown lace longfin.

My superred male seems to be breeding with my females and all I get is shortfin brown fry.

Now, I have seen some post on other fourms and even a few videos on the net of people before they go to bed, they move their pair or trio to a small 5gal tank with one cave, a filter, heater and nothing else. Next morning most of the time they have eggs.

My concern is, isn't this to small of a tank for the fish? Or should it be okay for a 12ish hour period?

Or might I be cursed with a male who just isn't into breeding much
Splak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
deepblue3
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (18)
deepblue3 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if you recently moved them to a new tank? I notice when I sometimes do this it can either trigger spawning or kind of "interupt" it, they don't spawn again for another 2 months, as if they are getting settled back into the tank.

I've had bristlesnose that have done both of those things when I moved them.

If its not that, perhaps they do need some triggers. Sometimes I don't feed mine for a day or two, then do a 25% water change, and VOILA! They get to it.

Is the female actually entering the cave? And he is doing nothing about it?
deepblue3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Splak
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
Splak is on a distinguished road

They had been in that tank for about 2-3 months, so it might be that they aren't used to it fully.

Yes, he seems to gaurd the tank, then the female will go in when he lets her and then he swims off to the driftwood and waits for her to leave :?
Splak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
HighWater

Feedback Score: (1)
HighWater is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with a Male Long Fin Albino BN once.
No matter what tricks I tried over a 8 months span, he only spawned with a female twice and both of those times he kicked the eggs out of the cave constantly.
My solution was I retired him to a community tank and got a new, fresh, young mature stud Male LF BN to replace him.
They breed like they should now......
HighWater is offline   Reply With Quote