Nothobranchius Guentheri Red Fry - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
Tabatha
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (23)
Tabatha has a spectacular aura about
Default Nothobranchius Guentheri Red Fry

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I hatched some N.guentheri Red Killifish eggs that I had purchased off eBay for C$8.63. Eleven were then I tossed into a nano container with floating plants, a moss ball and hornwort. Killifish fry are TINY, essentially silver eyeballs that move, you can suck them up in a pipette.

A week later I added some neocaradinia and while I was staring at this tiny tank (about 4 gallons), a tiny transparent fish swam by, I had no idea if they had survived or not! I had seen infusoria which probably had come in on the plants from Vandermeer's. After another week, I saw two microscopic fishes. Last week I discovered there were three and I started feeding baby brine.

Today, I saw FIVE killis about 1/2" long when I tossed in a bunch of baby brine!

Thankfully I've had a 10 gallon planted tank cycling since June 21st because I'll need it! When they become sexually mature, I'll have to sell some males.

Sucks that I can't upload photos.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
Tabatha
Devoted Member

Yesterday evening I added a bag of Fluval Stratum to my 10 gallon, it's eventually going to be a neocaradinia tank with some sparking gouramis. Our water is very hard, out of the tap our GH is 180, KH: 80 - 120 & PH: 7.5. So I've been using filtered water which has a GH of 30 - 60.

Anyway, I tested the water this morning and the GH was 0, KH: 0, PH: 6.0.

That's a little too buffered so I added coral rocks and will test again tomorrow morning.

As soon as I get the parameters settled, I'm going to move the killies and ottos until I get a larger tank cycled.

Here's a video from July 3rd, they've trippled in size since.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Tabatha
Devoted Member

This tiny tank, approximately 4 gallons, contains 2 Otocinclus, 5 N.guentheri fry, 10+ Neocaradinia, a number of pond and ram's horn snails and more floating plants than you can shake a stick at. I test this tank almost daily and the nitrates and nitrties are always 0! It has a nano heater and a diy sponge filter.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Tabatha
Devoted Member

A Ha! Finally got a photo of one of the fry, you can see how small it is compared to the juvinile otos.

And here's the 10 gallon.

And I know many of you are going to hate me for saying this but... I need to grow algae for my otos!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Tabatha
Devoted Member

Since moving everyone to the 10 gallon and feeding live baby brine shrimp, the killi fry are really growing at an accelerated rate. There are 5 total, I think I may have 2 males and 3 females, one is starting to get red on his tail and chase anyone who comes near. I can't wait till the Fluval is ready so I can separate them. Two females and one male will go in the Fluval and one pair can stay in the 10 gallon.

I took the rest of the peat and dumped it into the 4 gallon from which 2 more fry popped up. There's a ton of live food in there for them, lots of snails and some baby neocaradinia.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
Tabatha
Devoted Member

I have the worst camera phone, it takes great photos if nothing moves because the lag is something from the 90's! This is the best photo I could manage of this guy's colours coming in.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
Tabatha
Devoted Member

NEED HOME for TWO Nothobranchius guentheri (Redtail Killifish)

They're about a month old and maybe an inch long. At what age, considering their short lifespan, should they be rehomed? I'm not 100% sure of their genders but one is getting red fins.

Adult size is approximately 2", you cannot house 2 males together (unless you have a large tank with lots of plants). They easily spawn in peat, there are a number of YouTube videos if you want to try.

*** NOT SHRIMP SAFE ***
Old 08-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
Tabatha
Devoted Member

Borrowed hubby's old iPhone, the results are marginally better.

And this is the one I THINK might be a female (I'm basing it on colour but I could be very wrong):

Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
LaceyRen

Feedback Score: (4)
LaceyRen is on a distinguished road

That is so cool! The colours are starting to come in beautiful.

How long did it take to ship to you? I hear it can take like two months...but I guess the eggs stay dormant long enough.

So are you going to continue breeding them with the ones you've hatched?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
LaceyRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
Tabatha
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyRen View Post
That is so cool! The colours are starting to come in beautiful.

How long did it take to ship to you? I hear it can take like two months...but I guess the eggs stay dormant long enough.

So are you going to continue breeding them with the ones you've hatched?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Shipping took about a month. I started a nano tank (the rum pot in the photos) with plants from Vandermeers which brought in a lot of food for the fry. The eggs came with a starter culture of microworms as well.

I counted 11 out of 30 fry hatched in the first two weeks. Out of those 11, 5 survived to this point. I'm not set up to breed so no, I don't have any plans for that project!

Tags
guentheri , killifish , nothobranchius