GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Aquarium Plant Seeds - Do they work?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  baishui 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

https://www.amazon.ca/slp/aquarium-plant-seeds/5cymnr8jft7f9vr

I have seen videos of people buy various aquarium seeds online. The reviews are pretty mixed as some people couldn't grow anything, and others see their grass die after a few weeks as they found out the seeds are not aquatic plants.

Any advice on your experience is appreciated, thanks!

#2 ·
No personal experience with these seeds, but from what I've read from years before, none of these are truly aquatic species. These were very popular in Asia as many would utilize them to set up a tank just for the "final" picture and then tear it down, as these are known to survive submerged for quite some time.

I would definitely say growing a foreground carpet via dry start would be the most ideal and cost effective approach.

#4 ·
No personal experience with these seeds, but from what I've read from years before, none of these are truly aquatic species. These were very popular in Asia as many would utilize them to set up a tank just for the "final" picture and then tear it down, as these are known to survive submerged for quite some time.
That's what I have read, they don't really survive after the tank gets filled with water. It would be great if someone out there would actually sell seeds for aquatic species - right now it's difficult to separate the facts or the fiction.

I am planting #7 on the Amazon list right now, and it's the 3rd day. A friend of mine bought the same one and he said it all melted after the tank was filled with water. I will let you know how it goes with mine in a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty good looking for just 3 days of growing. Keep us posted on how it goes.

#3 ·
I am planting #7 on the Amazon list right now, and it's the 3rd day. A friend of mine bought the same one and he said it all melted after the tank was filled with water. I will let you know how it goes with mine in a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Every experienced person I have seen say aquatic seeds are a scam. @default states a logical use of them though. Erio's not included as they actually produce seeds in a submerged environment.

Interested to see anyone's success stories being submerged for 4-6 months or more and what species they are as I have never actually used seeds.

#11 ·
Very interesting, it's also nice to see the experiences of everyone.
The tanks with the seeds do look very nice, I've had similar seeds show up in aquasoil from time to time. They look like most sprouts and they only to keep the initial shape and simply stretch hoping to get to the water surface. None seemed to have lasted longer than a few weeks in that state.

I have had experience with Rotala Bonsai seeds in the submerged state as one of my tanks before had thousands of mini sprouts after a dozen stems flowered. Interesting part was how they likely got pollinated via water currents - as they produced viable seeds and almost everything sprouted still attached to their parent plants. This was a absolute nightmare to clean up as once the plants got large enough they drifted off and clogged pumps, settled on other plants, and caused a mess.
Knowing how readily most Rotala sp. Are to flower in emersed, you could technically collect and disperse Rotala sp. Seeds and create a carpet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.