GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Plant ID Thread

3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  TorontoPlantMan 
#1 ·
That now VS is taking care of the website, I remember seeing somewhere them asking for suggestions. This has been asked many times before by other freshwater hobbyists, can we please have a plant ID thread under the "planted tanks" section? I know myself and many other members will definitely contribute information and pictures on plants and rare plants.

Please and thank you.

#2 ·
I think that would be good too. Nice to have a dedicated forum for plant IDs, so they don't get overlooked, and those members who are really talented at this may be more likely to see them in a separate forum.

#3 ·
I think it would be really great, especially because there are a lot of guys on here who have kept a wide variety of plants. It will definitely drive a lot of traffic to the forum as when people google a species they're looking for it may direct them here.

This will also reduce a lot of "ID this plant" threads as users can check first to see if the plant has already been identified.

I can tell you now I can contribute 40 different species with a full write up on each including pictures.

#5 ·
And there are even many others like yourself, Jinx, Scotmando, Charlie1, Reckon, and the list goes on. I really hope VS reads this thread and at least takes it into consideration. I know they want to drive traffic to the website and grow it, this is the perfect way. Especially if we're the ONLY forum which offers a detailed text and picture write up on certain rare species.

Please VS :)?

#6 ·
A fish base would be great too, just like plantedtank - however their fish section is limited due to the subject, we could exploit that by doing plants, corals, fish (FW and SW), crustaceans(FW and SW) - think of the possibilities.
Also on the subject of plants, perhaps a tank journal section would be great, as planted tank photos could just be for showing off special plants or nice shots.
However, it's been a few days and VS still hasn't chimed in..

#8 · (Edited)
I an trying to think of a way beyond the pant id section to be able to have people look at a photo gallery to help identify the plant. I am working on something similar for a few sites (actually fishing sites) that needed something similar to work as a showcase. Some people are way more visual.

#9 ·
Is there any progress on this? Plantedtank.net and other forums have this feature and I don't imagine it's too hard to implement. It's a matter of having a database of plant names in which users can search through, which when you click on it redirects you to a page where users can then submit photos of that plant (only to be confirmed by a mod that it's the species itself) and also submit any writing/reviews of there experience with the plant.

again, plantedtank.net has one that I think can easily be copied over to here but with our own pictures/information submitted by users.

#12 ·
What I am hoping to add will be user supported. A special gallery where you add photos of the items in your tank, plant or animal etc and tag them as what they are. The gallery will filter images based on the keywords you supply.

If someone searched for Turtle Weed or Cholordesmis fastigiata or Maiden’s Hair Plant for example it would pull up and filter only those images others have posted. There will be categories for basic descriptions as well. Color, size, type of tank it would be in etc.

you can also just go through all the thumbnail images to see all the images posted, see a plant you think would be awesome and look up the details on it to see if it can fit your tank environment.

I hope this kind of helps explain what I wanted to do. This helps the community build a nice registry and gallery for the community.

#13 ·
What I am hoping to add will be user supported. A special gallery where you add photos of the items in your tank, plant or animal etc and tag them as what they are. The gallery will filter images based on the keywords you supply.

If someone searched for Turtle Weed or Cholordesmis fastigiata or Maiden's Hair Plant for example it would pull up and filter only those images others have posted. There will be categories for basic descriptions as well. Color, size, type of tank it would be in etc.

you can also just go through all the thumbnail images to see all the images posted, see a plant you think would be awesome and look up the details on it to see if it can fit your tank environment.

I hope this kind of helps explain what I wanted to do. This helps the community build a nice registry and gallery for the community.
That definitely sounds like a good idea, my only concern with that is that if users can freely upload pictures it lead's to a lot of error among plant species when users submit things that are wrong, can you think of any way of getting around this? or would it be possible to have one of the mods or assign a new mod to go through the pictures and confirm the species before they are uploaded, sorta like how a mod has to confirm when you write a new thread for "store profiles and reviews"?

#18 ·
I have always wanted one. Growing up my dad had several tanks in his house and when they moved he switched his focus to birds. When I am living in more than 540 square feet of space maybe? My wife is a tattoo artist and a lot of our living space is taken up with her book collection and drafting table. Her studio cant have a tank in it because of health department regulations, this was discussed long ago when we thought it would be an elegant addition.

#20 ·
Support is still working on the redirects issue. This is not the only site experiencing this and not just on our network. I can appreciate your frustrations, all of us are just as frustrated. We have more than just one team of people that work multiple aspects of the site and what I do is not part of the people who are trying to sort out these annoying redirects. Adding me to the mix of that crew is not going to help anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.