Plant ID Thread - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GTA AQUARIA > Site Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Site Feedback Comments, Questions or Concerns related to GTA Aquaria? Heck, even leave suggestions on how we can improve.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
TorontoPlantMan

Feedback Score: (37)
TorontoPlantMan is a name known to all
Default Plant ID Thread

That now VS is taking care of the website, I remember seeing somewhere them asking for suggestions. This has been asked many times before by other freshwater hobbyists, can we please have a plant ID thread under the "planted tanks" section? I know myself and many other members will definitely contribute information and pictures on plants and rare plants.

Please and thank you.
TorontoPlantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Fishfur
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (70)
Fishfur is a glorious beacon of light

I think that would be good too. Nice to have a dedicated forum for plant IDs, so they don't get overlooked, and those members who are really talented at this may be more likely to see them in a separate forum.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
TorontoPlantMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
I think that would be good too. Nice to have a dedicated forum for plant IDs, so they don't get overlooked, and those members who are really talented at this may be more likely to see them in a separate forum.
I think it would be really great, especially because there are a lot of guys on here who have kept a wide variety of plants. It will definitely drive a lot of traffic to the forum as when people google a species they're looking for it may direct them here.

This will also reduce a lot of "ID this plant" threads as users can check first to see if the plant has already been identified.

I can tell you now I can contribute 40 different species with a full write up on each including pictures.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
greg
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (38)
greg has a brilliant future greg has a brilliant future greg has a brilliant future

Sounds like a great idea, having just posted a 'please help id these plants' thread myself. There are certainly some members with tons of experience with many plant varieties - Greg_o, coldmantis, kyle, jimmyjam and yourself come to mind.
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
TorontoPlantMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Sounds like a great idea, having just posted a 'please help id these plants' thread myself. There are certainly some members with tons of experience with many plant varieties - Greg_o, coldmantis, kyle, jimmyjam and yourself come to mind.
And there are even many others like yourself, Jinx, Scotmando, Charlie1, Reckon, and the list goes on. I really hope VS reads this thread and at least takes it into consideration. I know they want to drive traffic to the website and grow it, this is the perfect way. Especially if we're the ONLY forum which offers a detailed text and picture write up on certain rare species.

Please VS ?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (106)
default is a splendid one to behold default is a splendid one to behold

A fish base would be great too, just like plantedtank - however their fish section is limited due to the subject, we could exploit that by doing plants, corals, fish (FW and SW), crustaceans(FW and SW) - think of the possibilities.
Also on the subject of plants, perhaps a tank journal section would be great, as planted tank photos could just be for showing off special plants or nice shots.
However, it's been a few days and VS still hasn't chimed in..
default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
VS_Admin
Administrator

Feedback Score: (2)
VS_Admin is on a distinguished road

This is on the to do list.
VS_Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
VS_Admin
Administrator

I an trying to think of a way beyond the pant id section to be able to have people look at a photo gallery to help identify the plant. I am working on something similar for a few sites (actually fishing sites) that needed something similar to work as a showcase. Some people are way more visual.

Last edited by VS_Admin; 01-17-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
TorontoPlantMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS_Admin View Post
I an trying to think of a way beyond the pant id section to be able to have people look at a photo gallery to help identify the plant. I am working on something similar for a few sites (actually fishing sites) that needed something similar to work as a showcase. Some people are way more visual.
Is there any progress on this? Plantedtank.net and other forums have this feature and I don't imagine it's too hard to implement. It's a matter of having a database of plant names in which users can search through, which when you click on it redirects you to a page where users can then submit photos of that plant (only to be confirmed by a mod that it's the species itself) and also submit any writing/reviews of there experience with the plant.

again, plantedtank.net has one that I think can easily be copied over to here but with our own pictures/information submitted by users.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
VS_Admin
Administrator

I will have a look at the planted tank one. I was working on something a little more unique with a plugin that is in development still.