TWAS meeting tonight! - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > GTA CLUBS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
KnaveTO

Feedback Score: (16)
KnaveTO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KnaveTO Send a message via MSN to KnaveTO

I wouldn't call those few items that are there every month an auction per se but more of a way the members can support the club by donating fish and purchasing them. All the money from that goes right into the clubs coffers.

As for memberships, most of the clubs have had decclining memberships since the advent of the rec.aquaria newsgroups (yes I am showing my age here) and these types of forums. It is now easier to get the information you require than it ever has been in the past almost instantly via net searches and form posting. You used to have to wait till the monthly meeting to get any info and thus memberships were higher as that was a primary source.

I joined TWAS for the interaction and the opportunity to learn from fist hand experience via talks and Q&A periods (which TWAS has way too few of in my experience). I think the out laying clubs seem a lot more active than the Toronto one and if they want to increase their memberships they need to attract members by having good and informative speakers.

Last edited by KnaveTO; 01-19-2008 at 05:11 PM..
KnaveTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Westender
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
Westender is on a distinguished road

That's true. But given that the costs of renting a room once per month are increasing all the time, they need it. And I'm pretty sure that club takes a cut but that the provider of the item takes the bulk of the sale.
Westender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #13
KnaveTO

Feedback Score: (16)
KnaveTO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KnaveTO Send a message via MSN to KnaveTO

The monthly sales at the TWAS are totally for the club. The items are donated only and the club receives all the proceeds.

The auction that they are talking about in the future will be different as the seller will receive the majority of the sale and the clubs will only take a listing fee and and probably a percentage of the final amount.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
dekstr

Feedback Score: (2)
dekstr will become famous soon enough

I would agree the average age seems fairly high--most members could be my dad / grandad. BUt nevertheless I found it interesting--there's only so much you can learn on a forum and online.

The people connection helps a lot--in terms of spotting and getting great deals. And always interesting to meet fish and plant people like you.

The amount of money made in an auction is not significant--I mean... things sold in the auction starts off at $1.00.
dekstr is offline   Reply With Quote