DRAS Aquariama Sunday April 6, 2014 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > GTA CLUBS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
BillD
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
BillD is a splendid one to behold BillD is a splendid one to behold
Default DRAS Aquariama Sunday April 6, 2014

Durham Region Aquarium Society’s
46th Annual Show and Auction
Aquariama 2014
April 6, 2014
Vendor EXPO (9am), Auction (10am)

More info here http://www.dras.ca/content.php/217-Aquariama

Please note: There is no show,even though it is mentioned in the title. There will be numerous vendors and some other displays. The nominal ($2.00) entrance fee allows DRAS to participate, financially, in various aquarium related conservation projects.

Last edited by BillD; 03-26-2014 at 09:47 AM..
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
TorontoPlantMan

Feedback Score: (37)
TorontoPlantMan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Durham Region Aquarium Society’s
46th Annual Show and Auction
Aquariama 2014
April 6, 2014
Vendor EXPO (9am), Auction (10am)

More info here http://www.dras.ca/content.php/217-Aquariama

Please note: There is no show,even though it is mentioned in the title. There will be numerous vendors and some other displays. The nominal ($2.00) entrance fee allows DRAS to participate, financially, in various aquarium related conservation projects.
I've never been to DRAS before but always heard good things about it, after reading through all the rules I'm curious as to why there is no minimum bid allowed? As a seller that really discourages me and I'd imagine many others from bringing any rare or very rare plants due to the fact that if they get placed at the last tables, or the knowledge/interest isn't there then it's going to be a huge loss for the seller.
TorontoPlantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
darkangel66n
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (21)
darkangel66n is a jewel in the rough

Mostly because it slows things down. We tend to get in excess of 1000 items and everyone wants to go home at a resonable hour. There is always the option to bid on it yourself and only cost you the sellers fee. No matter what you take to an auction though you take a chance of getting less then you hope for. Minimum bids have also been found to discourage bidding.
darkangel66n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
BillD
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
BillD is a splendid one to behold BillD is a splendid one to behold

Minimum bids seem to scare people off. Even if the price is fair, people are reluctant to open the bid at a minimum. They might be perfectly fine paying that price or even more, but won't start at that, with hope of paying less. As mentioned, you can always bid the price up, and if you win it has only cost you a dollar. In the past when minimum bids were passed on, and later re-introduced without a minimum, they have often sold for more than the minimum. It really slows the auction down if you have a lot of them. Many times when I have started the bidding, with a real lowball figure just to get things moving, the price has often gone much too high for me. I sometimes wonder if it would be quicker to start every bid at $1 and move from there.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
zenins
Freshwater Fish Keeper

Feedback Score: (0)
zenins has a spectacular aura about

This will be the second year in a row that I will miss Aquariama due to being away on vacation

This auction usually has a lot of higher value items due to the club share being only a dollar.

There are lots of other great items at lower prices as well

Maybe next year I should schedule my vacation to be a week later

www.kwas.ca
zenins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
cape
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (44)
cape is on a distinguished road

How long does this usually go for? Can you drop in any time in between? Also, are all items randomly auctioned, or will there be categories like plants, fish, dry goods, etc?

Sorry for all the questions, thinking about attending and will be my first auction.

Last edited by cape; 03-31-2014 at 06:12 PM..
cape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
TBemba
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
TBemba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape View Post
How long does this usually go for? Can you drop in any time in between? Also, are all items randomly auctioned, or will there be categories like plants, fish, dry goods, etc?

Sorry for all the questions, thinking about attending and will be my first auction.
Auction goes on as long as there are items left to sell so could be 5 or 6 pm ending.

You can come and go as you please. It starts at 10 am I believe but buyers can show up at any time.

Sellers bring stuff and then they are given stickers to put on their stuff and they try to spread the stuff out. So every seller gets a even shake. Auctions have an ebb and flow, some people are worried the early items that go up May not have as many bidders or too late items the same.

I think you can get an item and ask the people that schedule stuff can put it up on your request. But you pay a price to have that item put up early. I'm not sure of the still do this or not.

Example: I see some item I really want but it is on a table that will not be auctioned off for 3 hours. I don't want to wait Round to bid so I ask for the item to be put up ASAP. They allow this but I have to give the staff a bit of money for having it put up. So like 3 dollars, limits people asking for everything they want put up early.

You pay the 3 dollars even if you don't end up getting the item in the end.

It's pretty fun event even just to watch.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
cape
Devoted Member

Awesome, thank you for all the help. So i am assuming more desirable items go up mid day? Does sound fun, hopefully I can make it out...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
darkangel66n
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (21)
darkangel66n is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape View Post
Awesome, thank you for all the help. So i am assuming more desirable items go up mid day? Does sound fun, hopefully I can make it out...
No it is completely random order. Someone brings in 20 items and they are numbered 1 to 20, they are then put on corresponding numbered tables. Table 1 and 2 are auctioned first, then the rest are done in a random order determined by a draw.
darkangel66n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 PM   #10
cape
Devoted Member

Oh OK, thanks for the explanation.