Waterproof box to hold electrical connections - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Ponds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Ponds Show off your outdoor ponds and all things swimming in them!

Old 07-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Karen00 is on a distinguished road
Default Waterproof box to hold electrical connections

Hello all,

Step by step I'm getting this pond of mine setup. I think I have the pump and filtration sorted out now I'm onto the electrical.

Unfortunately I don't have a direct electrical connection from the house to the pond. I have about 10' of yard in between. I have some PVC pipe that I will run the extension cord through and will bury that below ground. My questions are:
1. Is it OK to use a heavy duty extension cord for this purpose (as long as it's safely buried) or is a proper electrical run needed?
2. I plan to have a power stake where the pond is located which will be where everything gets plugged into and then the power stake will plug into the extension cord that emerges from the PVC pipe. This connection is exposed to the elements. Is there some sort of waterproof box or enclosure made for things like this? I want to make sure this exposed section of the electrical is safely kept away from the elements. This part will be in my garden so it might get covered with snow in the winter.

I can provide a diagram of the layout if that helps.

Thanks.

Karen
Karen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen00 View Post
Hello all,

Step by step I'm getting this pond of mine setup. I think I have the pump and filtration sorted out now I'm onto the electrical.

Unfortunately I don't have a direct electrical connection from the house to the pond. I have about 10' of yard in between. I have some PVC pipe that I will run the extension cord through and will bury that below ground. My questions are:
1. Is it OK to use a heavy duty extension cord for this purpose (as long as it's safely buried) or is a proper electrical run needed?
2. I plan to have a power stake where the pond is located which will be where everything gets plugged into and then the power stake will plug into the extension cord that emerges from the PVC pipe. This connection is exposed to the elements. Is there some sort of waterproof box or enclosure made for things like this? I want to make sure this exposed section of the electrical is safely kept away from the elements. This part will be in my garden so it might get covered with snow in the winter.

I can provide a diagram of the layout if that helps.

Thanks.

Karen
I found what I'm looking for on the U.S Home Depot site: https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-in-We...SBSB/207203942 but can't find anything up here (checked Home Depot and Canadian Tire). Maybe they're called something else? Walmart Canada sells this brand but they're huge boxes and double the price.

Cheers.

Karen
Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
renesis

Feedback Score: (1)
renesis is on a distinguished road

The electrical boxes are available at LeeValley and at Newark - both Canadian sources.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...n=&utm_medium=

https://canada.newark.com/sockit-box...3T5921?st=SBLB

However, what you are planning will not be up to code.

For outdoor cable runs, you need to use NMWU wire which is rated for burial underground, it needs to have its own dedicated breaker, using a GFCI, and be buried 24" deep for direct burial, 18" deep if using a conduit, or 12" deep if you use mechanical protection above the full run of cable (i.e. - pressure treated wood). You must also bury caution tape at a depth above the wire. The exposed parts of the wire (on both ends) must be in a conduit.

You'll need an outdoor rated box to terminate the other end. Electrical really isn't the place to try to save money IMO.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by renesis; 07-18-2019 at 08:32 AM..
renesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renesis View Post
The electrical boxes are available at LeeValley and at Newark - both Canadian sources.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...n=&utm_medium=

https://canada.newark.com/sockit-box...3T5921?st=SBLB

However, what you are planning will not be up to code.

For outdoor cable runs, you need to use NMWU wire which is rated for burial underground, it needs to have its own dedicated breaker, using a GFCI, and be buried 24" deep for direct burial, 18" deep if using a conduit, or 12" deep if you use mechanical protection above the full run of cable (i.e. - pressure treated wood). You must also bury caution tape at a depth above the wire. The exposed parts of the wire (on both ends) must be in a conduit.

You'll need an outdoor rated box to terminate the other end. Electrical really isn't the place to try to save money IMO.

Hope this helps,
Thanks for the speedy reply renesis! I forgot to mention that I already have an outdoor rated box and the extension cord will be plugged into a GFCI outlet which comes from that box. I had all the electric redone on my house about 10 years ago. I also planned to bury the extension cord at the required depth, in an approved underground pipe, etc. (I don't have the warning tape though). So if the extension cord is plugged into all the correct outlets and buried that's still not up to code? I think you're saying it's not but I want to be sure. I found a diagram on the "This Old House" website that describes what you're saying and I've been following this but I wasn't sure if extension cords are allowed.

Thanks also for the links to the boxes!

Cheers.

Karen
Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
brycon

brycon is on a distinguished road

I have these boxes and I'm fairly certain I bought them from Princess Auto but I can't find it on their website.
brycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
renesis

renesis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen00 View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply renesis! I forgot to mention that I already have an outdoor rated box and the extension cord will be plugged into a GFCI outlet which comes from that box. I had all the electric redone on my house about 10 years ago. I also planned to bury the extension cord at the required depth, in an approved underground pipe, etc. (I don't have the warning tape though). So if the extension cord is plugged into all the correct outlets and buried that's still not up to code? I think you're saying it's not but I want to be sure. I found a diagram on the "This Old House" website that describes what you're saying and I've been following this but I wasn't sure if extension cords are allowed.

Thanks also for the links to the boxes!

Cheers.

Karen
I'm not an electrician, but I would guess no... While it would probably work, it isn't rated for burial. Also, the sealed boxes where you would plug in aren't really meant for 24/7/365 use as they aren't a perfect seal. Eventually, humidity will creep in and corrode your connections.

It's up to you which route you go, but up to code would be running a new GFCI line with NMWU at the right depth, and mounting the outdoor outlet next to the pond for your pump/lights.

Like I mentioned, up to you as it would probably work okay for some time - but when electrical is concerned, my preference is always do it proper. Too many insurance and liability problems if something were to happen, and it isn't up to code.
renesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycon View Post
I have these boxes and I'm fairly certain I bought them from Princess Auto but I can't find it on their website.
Thanks for this brycon! I will give them a call to see if they carry them. It's possible they did at one time but don't anymore.

Cheers.

Karen
Old 07-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renesis View Post
I'm not an electrician, but I would guess no... While it would probably work, it isn't rated for burial. Also, the sealed boxes where you would plug in aren't really meant for 24/7/365 use as they aren't a perfect seal. Eventually, humidity will creep in and corrode your connections.

It's up to you which route you go, but up to code would be running a new GFCI line with NMWU at the right depth, and mounting the outdoor outlet next to the pond for your pump/lights.

Like I mentioned, up to you as it would probably work okay for some time - but when electrical is concerned, my preference is always do it proper. Too many insurance and liability problems if something were to happen, and it isn't up to code.
Yep, this is the diagram I was working from. I guess this means I will get an electrician out to quote on getting a proper line run. :-)

Thanks!

Karen

Tags
connections , electric , electrical , pond