Discus PH - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
sudz
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (1)
sudz is on a distinguished road
Default Discus PH

So, I'm making the Plunge this weekend - Going to go to CAM's aquarium and see what he has, and if I'm happy with the stock, I'll be picking up 5 discus.

I just have my One, Final, LAST check.

The 75 Gal tank has been set up for a year now. its moderately planted. low-medium light. I bought 20 Cardinal tetra's Juvinle, they've grown up now, also have 3 Serpai(SP?) cories, a SAE, and a few black neon tetra's.

Nitrates are between 0 and 5ppm on a regular basis, (it peaks at 5ppm after gravel vacuming, which stirs things up a bit)

Temperature is 84*f.

My PH is 8.6, stable. it hasn't changed in a year.

The PH is really the only thing that I worry about. Will Discus be happy and grow old in a PH of 8.6?

So much conflicting information, but I've come to the conclusion through research that stability is more important than the PH itself, so I've left the PH alone in favor of stability.

Am I good to go?
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Tropicana
The GBR Guy

Feedback Score: (11)
Tropicana has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Tropicana

A ph of 8.6!? how in the world did you achieve that lol. I would probably try to use RO or peatmoss just something to drop that down to at least 7.5. Discus breed in 6.0-7 and are happy up to 7.8 imo.

You are right though stable ph is best.. I just cant figure out why yours is so high lol.

My Collection.

180 Gal

20 Gal Mikrogeophagus ramirezi tank.

20 Gal Nano reef.

5 Gal Brine shrimp grow out.

My Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/Canadian...?feature=guide

- Kelly
Tropicana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
SandeepD

Feedback Score: (0)
SandeepD is on a distinguished road

In general knowledge, S.A fish like Discus / rams need soft water and lightly acidic water. Although I don't know the exact chemistry (I really should, so I will check with one of my engineers) , low pH is associated with softer water (more H, less Ca/Mg etc).

Maybe get the water tested for hardness. I personally would not keep Discus in high pH. I'm sure fish can be adapted to different water conditions but it needs time. Coming from Cam's , where I'm assuming the pH is 7, going to pH 8.6 even with the drip method would be a big change.

Best of luck.
SandeepD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
sudz
Up-and-comer

Well, I don't want Luck - Its pure science and numbers.

I've done some research into my PH, I can't explain it either.

its 8.6 from the tap, and 8.6 after it stands for 3 days, and 8.6 after its been agitated with an air stone for 3 days as well.

From the main water treatment plant in Oakville, its 7.2-7.3. At the local Pumping station, (less than 1km away!) its 7.4

Something happens in 1km to make it jump to 8.6!

In my Tank, I have one small piece of driftwood, Moderately planted, and 6 bags of Eco-Complete substrate.

I use a Fluval 304, with mostly Filter sponges and Bio-balls (ceramic) and I I have one ancient bag of Peatmoss in there (2+ years)

Yeah, In Mississauga (Arista way, by square one) my PH was 7.6 from the Tap. down by the Lake in Port credit, it was 7.4-7.6 IN brampton, (near old peel memorial) my PH was around 7.8 All much more tolerable.

I even bought a second PH tester, and a Digital tester as well. I was quite pissed when I moved here and discovered the high PH. From now on, Lower PH is on the list when I move, lol

When I went into CAM's about 6 months ago, he seemed unconcerned.

I have a 7.5 watt heater Pad, Air pump, and some air line with a valve to slowly sifon water from the tank to a 4 gallon bucket. I'm thinking I can do it over 6 hours. Would that be gradual enough?

Also, I think i still have a KH and GH test kit somewhere, I'll retest.

EDIT:

So, it must be the change in seasons - My Fresh tap water is at 8.0 now. Tank is still 8.4 Weird that it was stable between Summer 2011 to February 2012, and seems to be lower now... I don't want to artificially mess with my tank's PH - afraid of crashes/spikes, etc

Cardinals don't like High PH either, but out of 21 I bought almost a year ago... 18-20 are still kicking, so something in the tank must be right! (I say 18-20 as they're SO HARD to count!) I've only ever found one dead one.

Last edited by sudz; 04-19-2012 at 09:52 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
TankCla
Begineer, again

Feedback Score: (18)
TankCla is a jewel in the rough

If you want to make perfect conditions for your discus, buy CO2 system to lower ph.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Altumnut
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (0)
Altumnut is just really nice

You will not have a problem with your ph. If it's stable thats what really matters. Typically Burlington is know for it's hard water.
Remember people...they are domestic not wilds.
Many Discus hobbiest and breeders that I know in Burlington have no issues.
In some cases...thier Discus even bred in 8+ ph.
Liquid Gold for raising Discus fry.

...Ralph
Altumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
george
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
george will become famous soon enough

Keep the PH stable and you will be OK. Acton has 8.6 PH and guess what, they are happy and eat like pigs.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
sudz
Up-and-comer

Awesome.

Thanks guys for finally putting my fears at rest. :-)

does a 6 hour "drip" seem optimal for acclimating them?

Also, I'll bring my Digital PH tester to Cam's and see what his water is at. If its also higher, its a good thing (for me at least!)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
TankCla
Begineer, again

Feedback Score: (18)
TankCla is a jewel in the rough

Good plan with PH tester.
6 hours in more than enough.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
sudz
Up-and-comer

I'm at hour two. It looks like It'll go on for 3 hours. My Pad heater isnt' enough to keep the bucket over 80 Degrees. I'm juggling hot packs to keep it at about 81-82.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGCu-...QLjLaG2ni7zbY=