What do you feed your discus? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
holocron

Feedback Score: (6)
holocron will become famous soon enough
Default What do you feed your discus?

I'm interested to find out what everyone feeds their discus.

Personally I am on a rotating feeding schedule. I feed my fish once a day with the following:

day 1:
Frozen Blood Worms
with
Azoo 9n1 Discus Food

day 2:
Tetra Color Bits
with
Tetra Flake

Mine seem to be staying the same size, but I have been told numerous times that water changes is a bigger factor when talking about growth.
holocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Brian
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Brian

If you want big big discus to breed quicker, you need to be doing 25% daily waterchanges or 50% every other day. All fish release an AGH compound which is a hormone that inhibits the growth of other fish around them. It is believed that the hormone does not inhibit the fish's growth who releases it because the hormone can recognize the immune system of the releaser and does not bind/inhibit to/the fish.

If you have a bunch of fish in a confined tank space, the concentration of the hormones will be greater and thus, inhibit the growth of the tank more. Daily water changes removes the hormone and drops the concentration which ultimately results in the growth of the fish in the tank.

When I had my discus, I fed homemade beefheart and tetrabits. This time, I am thinking about staying away from the beefheart and giving them strict NLS Cichlid Formula and probably go get some NLS Thera A which is laced with some garlic extract and is said to help the immune system of fish. This is probably a correlation instead of a fact but nontheless, if I get discus this time, I will do anything to prevent losing them again.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
holocron

NLS, yeah I was going to purchase this next time I go in to a FS. I had a bout with camalanus worms a few months ago, and aparently garlic laced food is supposed to help against something like that. Luckily for me Kumar had some meds that took care of the worms.

Thats pretty facinating about the hormone, does it effect all fish or just fish of the same species? Mustn't because my cardinals are growing so quickly, going to have to remove some soon.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
FishPedagogue
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (4)
FishPedagogue is on a distinguished road

Very good thread. I too am wondering how I can get my discus to grow big like kitchen plates. I guess frequent water changes and good food are key. Holocron, one thing that you can add is brine shrimp. I use Hikari as it's very pure.
FishPedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
Ciddian

Feedback Score: (33)
Ciddian has a brilliant future Ciddian has a brilliant future Ciddian has a brilliant future

Neat note... Betta breeders deal with the same issue. You get a tank full of different sized fry and usually one or two giant ones...

The solution is one that brian mentioned or....devided up the fry. water changes have been working well for me.
Ciddian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Enoch

Feedback Score: (1)
Enoch is on a distinguished road

What I feed my fish?
For adults and junveniles - Beefheart, live red wrigglers tetrabits and Frozen BS.
Spawning breeders - Frozen Blood worms.
Babies up to one month - Live BBS and Decap. BS eggs.
Since GTA can get BH from many sources. Nothing is better and easier just use BH and tetrabits. That's basically all you need for discus if you are not planning to breed.
Enoch.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
holocron

How do you find feeding the live food? I fed my baby discus live black worms from a store at spadina and dundas... and I think they contracted camalanus worms from them... i could be wrong... but I placed them blame on them,
Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Brian
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Brian

I would never buy live food from any of the stores in Chinatown. If you are talking about Spadina/Dundas pet stores, I know of only 2. One being in Dragon City and one being in Chinatown Centre. The one in Chinatown Centre is garbage and the one in Dragon City has somewhat decent stock that doesn't justify their prices.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Enoch

Enoch is on a distinguished road

I raise my own red wrigglers worms.(compose worms) I don't risk my fish with store bought black worms. Most were raised in a pond and there will be lots of criters in there. The city of Scarb. used to give out compose worms for their re-cycling projects for apartment residents.. They eat all your left over vegetables and multiply like crazy. That's the worm I use for all my breeders. You may check your local recycling program in spring and get a worm box to start your culture. They are free and the best soruce of food for your fish.
Enoch
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
moon
Devoted Member

moon is on a distinguished road

I've had discus for about two years now. My largest is about 6 in SL. The adults are fed twice a day. Flake in the morning and Mysis, beef hart and frozen blood worms in the evenings on alternative days. When I got these they were about 1.5 in. The juvies were fed about 4 times a day and 50% water change every day.
This will make them grow fast and big.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote