Plumbing options/variations on Red Sea Reefer 250 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Discuss your salt water equipment needs here.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
canadianeh
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (0)
canadianeh is on a distinguished road
Question Plumbing options/variations on Red Sea Reefer 250

I am going to set up a brand new Reefer 250 system. I would like to set up the plumbing by adding some on and off valves so that in the future if I NEED to add reactors, I can just "plug" them in and remove them as I wish without re-plumbing the whole system again.

Does anyone out here have these kind of set up on their Reefer 250? Can you please share your plumbing pictures? Also, where do you get your color PVC pipes. I am looking to set up mine super neat and no clutters. I possibly thinking about using an IKEA furniture and mod it to fit all controller and power bar so that they are out of the tank cabinet.

Thank you
canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
mmatt
Reefing is my meth

Feedback Score: (34)
mmatt will become famous soon enough

No experience with the reefers but the coloured PVC can be found on Amazon. I went with all dark grey and JJ downs is the place for that. Make sure tge Ikea cabinet can handle whatever weight you might be putting in it.

Also keep in mind that depending on how much plumping you add, it could add extra water to your system. Meaning if there is a power outage you don't want your sump to overflow since I'm guessing those reefer systems are designed as an all in one and designed just for a specific water capacity in their sump.

Cheers
mmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
canadianeh
Devoted Member

Sorry for the confusion but the Ikea cabinet is only for the controllers only and it will be sitting next to the tank cabinet

Last edited by canadianeh; 01-01-2020 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
canadianeh
Devoted Member

I found this plumbing design on YouTube. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/EhefVejGvzU
Old 01-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

Many ways to "skin a cat".

From one that worked in the industry, I cannot recommend colored PVC as "furniture grade" PVC is not pressure nor NSF (potable) certified.

SCH40/80 is just dimensional specification and that's it.

Though plumbing from the stand to the aquarium doesn't experience a significant amount of water/internal pressure, if you wish to use colored furniture grade PVC, do so at your own risk and whatever you do, DO NOT use the colored PVC fittings.

Believe you me, I have been contacted by insurance companies for aquarium related claims and using furniture grade colored PVC and fittings will be part of their exclusionary clause of coverage and you will have to pursue legal action from whom you bought it from as you are using a non certified product for the intended end use.

Burst/cracked colored PVC furniture grade fitting pipe, pipe pop out of the fitting, you don't want me getting a call to come check things out or look over your file.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
canadianeh
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
Many ways to "skin a cat".

From one that worked in the industry, I cannot recommend colored PVC as "furniture grade" PVC is not pressure nor NSF (potable) certified.

SCH40/80 is just dimensional specification and that's it.

Though plumbing from the stand to the aquarium doesn't experience a significant amount of water/internal pressure, if you wish to use colored furniture grade PVC, do so at your own risk and whatever you do, DO NOT use the colored PVC fittings.

Believe you me, I have been contacted by insurance companies for aquarium related claims and using furniture grade colored PVC and fittings will be part of their exclusionary clause of coverage and you will have to pursue legal action from whom you bought it from as you are using a non certified product for the intended end use.

Burst/cracked colored PVC furniture grade fitting pipe, pipe pop out of the fitting, you don't want me getting a call to come check things out or look over your file.
I really appreciate your input especially as someone that is in the industry.

Pardon me if my questions seem stupid, but I am not experienced in this subject. Are you saying that NO ones in the industry that make coloured PVC and fittings that rated the same as the non-coloured ones? All the coloured ones that being sold by aquarium supplies stores are not rated the same as the non-coloured ones?

Why no-ones make the coloured ones with the same rating as we know that there is market for it?

I look forward to hear from you.

Thanks

Ps: this is the build that I was referring to
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/br....211616/page-2

Last edited by canadianeh; 01-03-2020 at 09:17 PM..
Old 01-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #7
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (80)
tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default wtac

willi is the man , I cant tell u how many text msgs we have exchanged today over advice and opinions
Toronto misses u pal......

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
wtac
Hunh?

wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

The only company that I know of that made certified pressure and potable colored PVC is GF+ in Germany. There is an Australian company that supplies "colored" PVC with a lengthwise colored band to indicate supply, raw sewage, rain water, etc.

Certifications are ASTM, ISO, DIN and stating burst pressure and temperature limitations as well as NSF for potablility meaning the material will not leach anything into the water in contact.

These business offering colored PVC pipe are all "furniture grade". For that purpose, there is no certification required. Like an egg, it can take alot of external force to crush/crack the pipe. That type of force resistance is fine but for plumbing, internal water pressure and potability are VERY important factors.

"We've sold thousands of feet of colored PVC and never an issue", "The piping from XYZ is as strong as, if not stronger than your regular sch.40 pvc Pipe" ...BAHAHAHA! Well, if that is a validation for certification or proper application, stop Bogarting and pass that Dutchie.

AFAIK, adding dye to the PVC mix does not alter the "solvent weld" strength but the UV protection additive/coating may affect the strength of the solvent weld. Like Ive said, for under the DT/cabinet plumbing, there isn't alot of pressure, but weigh the pros and cons/risk assessment to make that final decision.

For basement/remote filtration, use the proper grey or white PVC pipe.

The volume production for colored PVC is a drop in the bucket compared for "instustrial use" and to have certified colored PVC pipe and fittings are not worth the cost.

If you really want the colored pipe, use Krylon Fusion paint or colored vinyl wrap.

Last edited by wtac; 01-05-2020 at 02:55 PM..
Old 01-05-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
canadianeh
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
The only company that I know of that made certified pressure and potable colored PVC is GF+ in Germany. There is an Australian company that supplies "colored" PVC with a lengthwise colored band to indicate supply, raw sewage, rain water, etc.

Certifications are ASTM, ISO, DIN and stating burst pressure and temperature limitations as well as NSF for potablility meaning the material will not leach anything into the water in contact.

These business offering colored PVC pipe are all "furniture grade". For that purpose, there is no certification required. Like an egg, it can take alot of external force to crush/crack the pipe. That type of force resistance is fine but for plumbing, internal water pressure and potability are VERY important factors.

"We've sold thousands of feet of colored PVC and never an issue", "The piping from XYZ is as strong as, if not stronger than your regular sch.40 pvc Pipe" ...BAHAHAHA! Well, if that is a validation for certification or proper application, stop Bogarting and pass that Dutchie.

AFAIK, adding dye to the PVC mix does not alter the "solvent weld" strength but the UV protection additive/coating may affect the strength of the solvent weld. Like Ive said, for under the DT/cabinet plumbing, there isn't alot of pressure, but weigh the pros and cons/risk assessment to make that final decision.

For basement/remote filtration, use the proper grey or white PVC pipe.

The volume production for colored PVC is a drop in the bucket compared for "instustrial use" and to have certified colored PVC pipe and fittings are not worth the cost.

If you really want the colored pipe, use Krylon Fusion paint or colored vinyl wrap.
Really appreciate your advice. Where is the best place to buy the industrial grade PVC pipe, fittings, unions, and valves for aquarium purpose? Would you suggest pvcfittingsonline? I see that they have clear PVC industrial grade ones. That would be cool no? What would be the cons of having the clear ones for aquarium/sump?

Last edited by canadianeh; 01-05-2020 at 08:30 PM..
Old 01-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
wtac
Hunh?

If you have a parts list for the job, you can either go to JJ Downs in Etobicoke or Fabco in in the Woodbridge area. They have both grey and white pipe and fittings. Solvent, primer, and clear PVC, JJ Downs.

If you have other questions, I find JJ Downs a "friendlier" place to shop. Fabco has a clinical vibe where it's strictly business, order, get your stuff, pay and go.

Clear PVC has a hazy tint and not crystal clear like acrylic. If you are OCD like me, algae and calcerous growth in the transparent pipe would drive me crazy .

Though the pipe has print on it, its on one side so when you glue the pipes together, make sure the print is faced away from line of sight. If in future you want a splash of color on the pipe, get "vinyl wrap" from a print shop and apply it to the pipes. Change color, change the wrap .