PVC Fittings and Pipe Sources Plus Odds and Ends (GTA) - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Discuss your salt water equipment needs here.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future
Default PVC Fittings and Pipe Sources Plus Odds and Ends (GTA)

For the plumbing DIYers.

Plumbing Sources
Lowes
• Basic fittings: 90, 45, T, Coupling, Unions, True Union Ball Valves (TUBV)
• Rigid (10’ length only) and Flex PVC (1” and 1.5” but $$$) by the foot.
• Only white SCH40
• Very good selection of WATTS 1/4" compression fittings
• TUBV’s (American Valve; Made in China) prone to seizing in position unless open/closed on a monthly, semi-annually to free up any calcified build-up as they do not apply enough silicone grease in the ball joint and seal, IMHO.
• Nowadays hard to find 1.5” socket (soc-soc) unions as they are threaded (thr-thr)) ends
Home Depot
• Orbit fittings in the irrigation section. I find these work best vs RainBird from Lowes as the flare in the barb is not as wide
• ½” all barbed 90 and T for vinyl tubing plumbing PhosBan reactors
• ½” and ¾” Male/Female Pipe Thread (MPT/FPT) to barbed ½” fittings
• Descent selection of WATTS 1/4" compression fittings
JJ Downs (Etobicoke)
• Has EVERYTHING you will ever think you will need.
• Some specialilty fittings, ie gate valve, 4-cross, “corner” T, radius 45/90 bends, Banjo connectors
• Will make special fitting (as Flavio – ARA, mentioned) to suit your particular need
• Fittings and pipe in both white and grey
• “Better to Best” TUBV, ie Praher, Spears and Hayward
• PVC pipe (rigid and flex) by the foot lengths of you don’t need a full 10’ section or 100’ roll.
• LDPE tanks for RO/DI storage and NSW mixing stations
• Very "walk-in" friendly!!!
Fabco (Maple – Keele/Teston Rd)
• Has pretty much every basic fitting you will need.
• Some specialilty fittings, ie 4-cross
• Fittings and pipe in both white and grey
• “Better to Best” TUBV, ie ChemKor and Hayward
• PVC pipe (rigid and flex) in 10’ section or 100’ roll only
• LDPE tanks for RO/DI storage and NSW mixing stations
• Best to email your order list and get it processed as doing a "walk in" is a bit of a PITA
Throra Plastics (Scarborough – Kennedy/St Claire area)
• Has pretty much every basic fitting you will need.
• Only grey fittings and pipe
• Pipe only in 10’ sections
• ChemKor TUBV and only place I know of that has ChemKor replacement collars and “pipe seats”
• "Walk in" friendly
If you are going to cement flex into a fitting, I suggest that you get the proper "Flex" cement especially if the flex pipe has a long run. Don't forget to support it with clamps as well .

Online Sources:
MOPS
GoReef
ReefSupplies
JLAquatics
PetsandPonds
MaxWater

This is just a start as it's a PITA to go through all the threads and compile. If there are any other places just post and I will update (will note at the beginning of the post) when I have the time.

Last edited by wtac; 01-04-2014 at 09:04 PM..
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
sig
moved on...

Feedback Score: (119)
sig has much to be proud of sig has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Sticky Please

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
ameekplec.
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (134)
ameekplec. has a brilliant future ameekplec. has a brilliant future ameekplec. has a brilliant future

Stickied!!

Can we get a list of online retailers too for those of us that can't get around/don't have time/are out of town/don't like to wear clothes to go out?
ameekplec. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

Over the next little while, I'll do a few other "plumbing" sources so ppl don't have to wade through a long list.

JJ Downs will ship your order. Easier to include the parts number but their website is a bit of a mess to load properly in certain sections as they are having on going issues with their web-designer.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
sig
moved on...

Feedback Score: (119)
sig has much to be proud of sig has much to be proud of

I know just:

http://mops.ca
http://www.goreef.com/
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...s/mainpage.php
http://www.petsandponds.com/?gclid=C...FbBDMgodCTUAPg

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (80)
tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default awesome

where was that a few months ago grrrrr................that's great Wilson
thanks again .
tom

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
CamH
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (2)
CamH will become famous soon enough

Heads up when going to JJ Downs: They carry two different styles of unions, one being slightly larger than the other and they do not check to see what you're being given. They just grab them and given em to you. I've been caught twice by this now. I mentioned it to them and it seems they both come from the same supplier. It's a great place to go just make sure if you're replacing a union that it will match up with what you have or if purchasing several at once that they're all the same style.
CamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
fury165
Gadget Pymp

Feedback Score: (33)
fury165 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamH View Post
Heads up when going to JJ Downs: They carry two different styles of unions, one being slightly larger than the other and they do not check to see what you're being given. They just grab them and given em to you. I've been caught twice by this now. I mentioned it to them and it seems they both come from the same supplier. It's a great place to go just make sure if you're replacing a union that it will match up with what you have or if purchasing several at once that they're all the same style.
they sell both schedule 40 and 80 fittings, you need to specify the appropriate part number. For our applications we don't need the higher rating of schedule 80. schedule 40 saves you extra cash and tons of space under your sump, especially when you get into larger diameters.

Most folks associate grey pipe/fittings as schedule 80, but as you found out schedule 40 comes in grey as well

Latest rabbit hole - Haven

GTAA brick and mortar reef shops https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...0.ktFkd6QZYQmA
fury165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #9
CamH
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (2)
CamH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fury165 View Post
they sell both schedule 40 and 80 fittings, you need to specify the appropriate part number. For our applications we don't need the higher rating of schedule 80. schedule 40 saves you extra cash and tons of space under your sump, especially when you get into larger diameters.

Most folks associate grey pipe/fittings as schedule 80, but as you found out schedule 40 comes in grey as well
They were all white and Schedule 40. I brought one in and showed them the difference and they confirmed they come from the same supplier. The size difference wasn't as great as between Sched 40 & 80. Just enough that the unions wont fit properly or not at all
CamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
fury165
Gadget Pymp

Feedback Score: (33)
fury165 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamH View Post
They were all white and Schedule 40. I brought one in and showed them the difference and they confirmed they come from the same supplier. The size difference wasn't as great as between Sched 40 & 80. Just enough that the unions wont fit properly or not at all
Huh, my bad..I assumed it was the grey pipes as I've run into this early on when I did a drop in and they didn't have enough of one or the other.

Good to know about the white pipes though 👍🏼

Latest rabbit hole - Haven

GTAA brick and mortar reef shops https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...0.ktFkd6QZYQmA
fury165 is offline   Reply With Quote