older 75 gallon built with no center brace? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
vincel892
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (11)
vincel892 will become famous soon enough
Default older 75 gallon built with no center brace?

I recently picked up a 75 gallon from a friend who was giving it away.
It was very heavy and made with 3/8" glass.
There did not seem to be any center bracing on the top or bottom trim.
Were older tanks built without this center bracing?
Only indication of the brand of tank is a Hagen sticker on one of the panels.
vincel892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

Older aquariums were made with thicker glass vs aquariums today of the same dimensions.

3/8" is the "todays" thickness and probably made when they shifted to thinner glass as they used to be 1/2" and do remember that 65 and 75 gal didn't have the centre brace but the 90gals did. For ease of assembly, they used the same trim for the top and bottom

On the bottom, the silicone of all sides to the bottom pane with the trim will hold the water pressure and not bow. The top is another matter as only the trim is helping to "hold the bow' from water pressure.

Personally, I would remove the top trim and put a 3" wide, 3/8" thick EuroBrace (EB) on the top perimeter and no need for a centre brace...I would sleep better at night.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
vincel892
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (11)
vincel892 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
Older aquariums were made with thicker glass vs aquariums today of the same dimensions.

3/8" is the "todays" thickness and probably made when they shifted to thinner glass as they used to be 1/2" and do remember that 65 and 75 gal didn't have the centre brace but the 90gals did. For ease of assembly, they used the same trim for the top and bottom

On the bottom, the silicone of all sides to the bottom pane with the trim will hold the water pressure and not bow. The top is another matter as only the trim is helping to "hold the bow' from water pressure.

Personally, I would remove the top trim and put a 3" wide, 3/8" thick EuroBrace (EB) on the top perimeter and no need for a centre brace...I would sleep better at night.
I don't want to have to spend that much on money on glass. From what I've seen, most glass shops would charge a minimum of $20 per piece (?). I was considering leaving the top brace and just putting one glass center brace.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
vincel892 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

You can do that but you have to cut the trim so that its glass siliconed to glass and not on the trim.

To help hold the corners if you remove the trim, silicone 3-4" right angle triangles of another strip of glass going back to front.

I understand not wanting to spend more $ on glass but in the long run, cheaper than a blow out.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote