GTA Aquarium Forums banner

65G slice of heaven

22K views 122 replies 20 participants last post by  df001 
#1 · (Edited)
65G planted community

Thanks to another member(thanks CarmenH), we've got a great deal to start us off!

65gallon (36x18x24) Miracles in showroom condition with a coralife 2 bulb t5ho And eco-complete with MTS :D and assorted plants!

Of course now the pressure is on to build/find/remake a stand because the temp location isn't ideal!

And of course I gotta do something temporary to keep things happy happy till we come up with the plant list and scape design we want.

See less See more
#114 ·
here's a teaser.

Going for lots of wood in this one, the front will have about 2" of eco-complete, the back will be raised up about 4-5".

going to anchor the anubias at the sides of the center, some val along the back, and the crypt willsi and parva along the front.

I'm toying with 2 ideas for the back of the tank - one is not putting any sort of background on, the other is going with a black background and wrapping it on the sides atleast up to the edge of the cabinet on the left, and the wall on the right so that they are less of a visual distraction.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

#115 ·
tank

hey it looks great ..... look forward toseeing more to come
the only thing I found when I wrapped my tank with paint was when u actally are looking for a fish or trying to see something . unless the tank is enclosed in a casing go for it , but periodically when I am staring and want to peer to try to see a sick fish or a clutch of eggs u get a little pissed that u cant see where u should .
again looks awesome look forward to seeing more
cheers
tom

#116 ·
Teaser #2

current thought is anubias all along the wood/rock in the center, crypt parva/willsi along front right. was thinking I'd try montecarlo in the front left, not sure how it will do in this deep tank.
for the background definitely want some val in there, I'm open to other options.

#122 ·

current thought is anubias all along the wood/rock in the center, crypt parva/willsi along front right. was thinking I'd try montecarlo in the front left, not sure how it will do in this deep tank.
for the background definitely want some val in there, I'm open to other options.
FWIW I recently started up a planted tank 3 weeks back. It's a 90 gallon (48 x 18 x 24h). I'm currently lighting the tank with a 36" 2 x 39w t5 Hagen fixture and a 36" 39w led fixture running at about 50 percent.

So far my Monte Carlo is slowing growing across the substrate and not vertically so that's a good sign so far. I was also concerned about the height as well but I found Monte Carlo is much for forgiving than most carpet plants like HC.

#117 ·
I love the tangled wood - eventually I want a scape like this!

I've seen a few similar layouts and personally like the central and symmetrical round layout.

A green carpet all the way across the front and outside edges, then a ring around the base of the wood (parva, or s. Repens, or anubias) then Java fern with smaller leaves (needle) embedded in the branches making a dense crown above the ring, then a reddish stem plant like ludwigia brevipes peaking over the top of the java fern. Screen of Vals in the background, or even just a bare black background.

#118 ·
Sunday update.

After what felt like hours, but was really only a few minutes with the crazy glue and moss, I used up a massive portion of weeping moss ?Vesicularia ferriei? I acquired from a local here in kingston. Thanks Rob. There was some flame moss mixed in, I'm going to try something else with that, I have an idea....

from left to right - val nana, they got a bit abused on the trip out - tops melted hoping they will re-shoot.

mid central - Anubias barterii "coffeefolia"

front central to front right - crypt parva and some wilsii mixed in, will separate them out once they grow up and I can tell which is which easier. I'll probably regret this down the road but we'll see.

back right - Rotala rotundafolia Also acquired from Rob.

The rocks on the wood are temporary till they soak in enough to lose buoyancy.

I'm thinking at the moment I'm going to start stocking with some cherry shrimp, and was considering getting a bristlenose pleco. I really like the look of the "L144" yellow blue-eyed, any issues with keeping them with RCS?

I love the tangled wood - eventually I want a scape like this!
I've seen a few similar layouts and personally like the central and symmetrical round layout.
Yeah i've always been a big fan of the tangled wood look, I think it works really well with the depth of this tank. Because I want the tank to look good from a few veiwing angles, and I'll likely be tearing it down in a year when we move I figured a more central simple approach was best.

A green carpet all the way across the front and outside edges, then a ring around the base of the wood (parva, or s. Repens, or anubias) then Java fern with smaller leaves (needle) embedded in the branches making a dense crown above the ring, then a reddish stem plant like ludwigia brevipes peaking over the top of the java fern. Screen of Vals in the background, or even just a bare black background.
Sounds great, post photos when you get it made! its pretty similar to what i'm aiming for, the front left side I wanted to try micranthemum "monte carlo", though experience tells me that may be a lost cause.

#121 ·
Was in toronto this week, picked up a bunch more plants.

More anubias coffeefolia, nana, and nana petit.
Rotala nanjensen
Val sipralis and the thin leaf variety cant remember which one.
Some dwarf hair grass, i dont think i have the par for it to thrive but were gonna try it.
And a weird stem plant from finatics that i cannot remember what its called. Was also able to get a lid from finatics.
By far hands down one of the cleanest and best stores ive seen ever.

Also picked up my new needlevalve and got my co2 tank filled. So now were really in business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.