Water Changers - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #1
Bill22

Feedback Score: (0)
Bill22 is on a distinguished road
Default Water Changers

Isn't the expectation of a 25% daily water change a little overboard as general daily aquarium care? I would think this might be necessary if one had a problem in the tank chemistry but as regular maintenance this seems a little overboard. I am about to cycle a 65 tall and was planning on a 5% change every other day once fish are added.
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #2
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Feedback Score: (32)
planter has a spectacular aura about

If you are cycling then it's not unheard of to change that much water per day. Keeping ammonia and nitrite levels safe is what counts. After that it all depends on your tank size and your bio load. More water and less fish means less waterchanges. I've had tanks where I've gone a month without changing the water without any issues while others like my discus tank I change over 50 percent per day as I'm growing them out right now.
planter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #3
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant

Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22 View Post
Isn't the expectation of a 25% daily water change a little overboard as general daily aquarium care?
I haven't read that the expectation is 25% daily. Where did you read that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22 View Post
I am about to cycle a 65 tall and was planning on a 5% change every other day once fish are added.
Is there a particular reason why you're doing a small amount so frequently? I think this works out to about a single 15% water change once a week.

The GTA Aquarium Club meets every third Tuesday of the month. Ask me for details or check out the official FB page and events listings.

infolific is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
Fisheye

Feedback Score: (8)
Fisheye is on a distinguished road

Hi Bill22,

Are you cycling a bare tank or do you have anything like plants, substrate and driftwood in there? Are you starting with virgin filter media or have you seeded it somehow?

Unless you are feeding the bacteria in some way then just changing out 5 percent every other day is perhaps a waste of time and water.

Do you have a reliable way to test the water before adding fish? (liquid reagent over strips for example)

My last question is...what fish are you getting???(the best part!)

J
Fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #5
Bill22

Quote:
Originally Posted by infolific View Post
I haven't read that the expectation is 25% daily. Where did you read that?

Is there a particular reason why you're doing a small amount so frequently? I think this works out to about a single 15% water change once a week.
Planter just let us know he was doing 50% changes? Others I read are all over the map.

And the answer to the second question is simply ease and convenience on top of the fact that smaller changes in water on a more frequent basis seems to me to be a better way to stabilize water conditions.

Due to unforeseen circumstances cycling has been delayed so thanks for your responses.

Sand,
65 gal tall,
no fish cycle with plants & driftwood
API test kit.
Along with the biological filter contents I will be using sphagnum moss to soften the water and make it a tad more acidic.
Plants planned - easy ones like many Anubias, some of the taller Crypts and Java Fern.
Fish planned :- Serpae 12, Dwarf Corys 6, one of Cardinals or Neons ~20
Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Andre7
I'm New

Andre7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I change over 50 percent per day as I'm growing them out right now.
Planter is growing out discus, which need pristine water conditions especially as juveniles to grow them to maximum size. Pristine water conditions allow any fish to grow better and faster, but with a 'high-end' fish like Discus this becomes a priority (in addition to their high sensitivity to poor water conditions).

Quote:
smaller changes in water on a more frequent basis seems to me to be a better way to stabilize water conditions.
This may be true, I'm not sure. I would think that as long as there is ammonia available, the bacteria will grow, so as long as you're not doing 50% or more it should be fine. I might even thing that extremely high levels of ammonia might inhibit growth of the beneficial bacteria... I also find it easier to change more water less frequently because I don't have to prepare equipment, fresh water, etc. as often, but this of course depends on your own setup.
Andre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Bill22

I should have posted this earlier it might have helped your responses.

Tap water API test:

Ph high 8.2
Ammonia ...best I can tell between 1.0 & 2.0
Nitrite .5
Nitrite 0

As as aside I kept discus 40+ years ago. After re-introducing myself to starting up an aquarium, I read this forum for a couple of months before I joined and made my mind up to do it again after all these years. I wonder how the heck I kept them alive for so long. This cycling, water changes and maintenance has been an eye opener for sure.

I guess I get very confused when I read all for the different % water changes different people comment on from time to time.

I do understand the need to maintain a goodly amount of ammonia in the early cycle until the bacteria changes the tank chemistry. I also like the proper nitrate level controls to control algae growth

This time I thought I'd just stick with a simple tetra tank, easy to maintain. I really don't want to get into steady tank temps of 82-84 for discus. Although I would love to have them.

I guess my biggest problem will be getting a favourable Ph level for the Tetras which prefer slightly acidic water.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Feedback Score: (32)
planter has a spectacular aura about

Most tetras you find at the local fish stores will do fine within a ride range of ph so long as it's stable and that they are acclimated properly. You don't need to shoot for a specific number unless you are trying to do something specific like breed them. That being said, it's always good to do some research on the specific fish you want and ask others who keep/kept them their experience keeping them.

Most folk's here try to keep their tank parameters at a safe level once the tank is cycled.

NH4- 0
NO2 - 0
N03 - 30 pmm or less. some prefer lower some are higher

The amount of water and number of changes per week/month will depend on the type of fish, tank size, amount of feeding's.... etc. There is no golden rule on how often one needs to do water change.

Hope this helps
planter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
Fisheye

Feedback Score: (8)
Fisheye is on a distinguished road

Hi Bill22,

I kind of read your OP wrong...anyway, thank you providing additional information regarding your setup.

Have you checked out aqadvisor.com? That is a really helpful tool to help you flesh out your setup taking tank size, filter capacity and stocking levels into consideration. I don't think that site was up and running when you last kept fish.

As others have said, there are no hard and fast rules as per water changes. Probably the key is to consider what works for your schedule and stick to that to maintain stable parameters.

Low nitrates aren't then only factor to consider to keep algae at bay. Mine test at 5ppm and I'm currently dealing with some staghorn and green dust. Photoperiod, phosphates in water source, over feeding, over crowing, lack of co2 injection and introducing plants other than tissue cultured are all contributors to algae growth. It's not uncommon to battle that beast in a new setup either.

+1 on keeping PH stable rather than going for a specific number. Whatever moss you use will lose buffering capacity over time and PH swings will not do your fish any favours. Maybe see what others do with combining tap water and RO. But again, your suggested stocking scheme really doesn't warrant monkeying with PH. Save the money and the aggro.

Have fun.

Jackie
Fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #10
Bill22

Quote:
out aqadvisor.com? . I don't think that site was up and running when you last kept fish.
Ha you're darn right about that.Wish I could come up with a cute comeback.

So according to the site I'm doing okay with 'bioload' (impressed yet?), number of fish and to my surprise a recommended 18% weekly water change which is within my management capabilities and also to be determined if needed.

Point noted regarding Ph Planter and Jackie. Tap water will be well above the Ph range readings for these fish but with your responses I still feel I'd like it below 8 at least. I figure a bunch of it in fine cheesecloth in the filter changed once a week and test what happens while I'm cycling for 3-4+ weeks to see what works.

The plant challenge will be the first one I tackle as they will be in the tank from the start. The additional info on the algae control was good too.

Thanks all.