anybody want to share their LED floodlight experience - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
flyingmomo
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (2)
flyingmomo is on a distinguished road
Default anybody want to share their LED floodlight experience

I have seen many aquarists touting good results with those LED floodlight from Amazon/Ebay. They are tempting for the amount of light and cheap price point. But I feel they are more suitable for taller tanks than shallower ones.

Ideally DIY LEDs are perfect, but then with say shipping, materials and tools, their price is similar to ready made solutions like NICREW and few Canadian ones on Kijiji. Right now I am using a T8 fixture with a full spectrum bulb from Big Als and although suggestion is to change those every 12 months or so, it seems wasteful so I am sticking to this one till the bulb runs out.
A lot of DIY LED are tempting but I lack the tools, skills and know how and buying all those for only 1-2 build is heavy on the budget.

What are your lighting solutions, tricks etc.

I know a lot of the members have DIYed their own LED lights and they are so nice. Maybe those wo have done it should make a nice instructional video with step by step building and material list etc. Thanks.

Last edited by flyingmomo; 06-28-2020 at 11:21 AM..
flyingmomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freshwater , light