Need advice on a new tank setup - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > General Marine Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Marine Discussion All things Salt.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
jamie1985
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
jamie1985 is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on a new tank setup

Hey Everyone! So Iíve been in the saltwater game for a few years now and I currently have a 72g bowfront. I am moving into a brand new house and am looking to upgrade my setup to something with more clean lines and a little more modern etc. I was looking at the RedSea Reefer 350... I like how itís pre plumbed and includes the sump underneath etc... does anyone have one and if so how do you like it? Also, if anyone knows of any other setups that would be greatly appreciated! I am looking for something with a DT of no more than 90-100 gallons...

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

I set-up a RSR150 a few summers ago and for what it is, I like it for a "starter set".

Only gripe is the basic layout of the sump but there is lots of space within the cabinet to add supplemental equipment BUT you have to be creative to maximize use of the space, accessibility and wire management.

Also not a fan of rimless due to ease of spill overs (algae scraping at the water line) and making a nice looking screen cover for jumpers.

Albert's RSR525 build thread should give you some ideas as if you plan on using a controller, dosing system, ATO, etc, if you have space on either side of the system to make a cabinet/shelving unit to house these extra components if you don't want to MacGuyver a "Tetris" system of shelves and brackets.

Albert also put a top EuroBrace to minimize spillovers and splashes on his RSR525. A 3" wide EB will keep most jumpers in if they follow the glass up "BONK".

HTH
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
notclear
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (89)
notclear is on a distinguished road

If you are looking at 90-100 Gallons, why not just add 8 Gallons and do the 525XL which has 108 G capacity in the display? You won't regret it
NEW: 108G Red Sea Reefer XL525 (59"x22.6"x22"), 31G Sump, Sunpole Magnus DC6000 Return Pump, 2 x Maxspect Gyre FX330, Bubble Magus Curve A8 DC Skimmer with Neck Cleaner and AutoAqua Smart Skimmer Security, Maxspect RSX 300W LED, 2 x Reef Brite XHO, 2 x Klir Filters, Apex Classic Controller, Neptune AFS, Vertex Puratek Deluxe RO/DI, 2 x Eheim Jager 150W Heaters, 2 x Phosban Reactors.

WAS: 160G (72"x22"x23.5"), 2 x 15G Sumps
notclear is offline   Reply With Quote