90 Gallon Custom - Page 15 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > PLANTED TANKS > Planted Tank Photos
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Planted Tank Photos Let's see what you got! Show off your tanks here. Tank journals are encouraged!

Old 12-29-2019, 10:33 PM   #141
hendy8888

Feedback Score: (3)
hendy8888 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! @j.thomson

Finally got some time to clean the tank a bit today. I have been meaning to take some more algae photos and the plants are still recovering from the big trim so why not.
Standard BBA, Littorella uniflora handles H2O2 very well not concerned. Hopefully it fills in, the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis over ran it in the previous spot.

Now the interesting one, if anyone can ID it please do. Seems more resistant to H2O2 then BBA but does kill it. Was very isolated and just started to spread. Makes for some unique rocks. Hasn't attached to any plants yet. Has to be a favorite of mine so far, some kind of red algae.

Hygrophila Compact was shaded and green under the Macrandra, once it got trimmed the increase in light stressed it out. (don't mind the pin holes)

[url=https://postimg.cc/5QSGV3V9][/url
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #142
Sordfish

Feedback Score: (0)
Sordfish is on a distinguished road
Default Awesome tank

I just finished reading your entire journal. Bravo. Amazing tank. I learned a few things. Loved seeing all the detailed care you put into your stand, tank and plants. It has inspired me to try harder. One question. I see you have a lot of h’ra. Numerous sites recommend that nitrates be kept very low (below 5ppm) to get the red growth. See this site, for example: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...undifolia.html

Is that what you do as well? Where do you have your nitrates and how do you ensure other demanding plants do not stunt?

Look forward to more updates.

Last edited by Sordfish; 01-08-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Sordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #143
hendy8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordfish View Post
I just finished reading your entire journal. Bravo. Amazing tank. I learned a few things. Loved seeing all the detailed care you put into your stand, tank and plants. It has inspired me to try harder. One question. I see you have a lot of hra. Numerous sites recommend that nitrates be kept very low (below 5ppm) to get the red growth. See this site, for example: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...undifolia.html

Is that what you do as well? Where do you have your nitrates and how do you ensure other demanding plants do not stunt?

Look forward to more updates.
Thank you for the kind words, one of the reasons I like tank journals is for other people to see methods, ideas, and equipment they might like to try.

As for the H'ra you are exactly right, that plant will stay mostly orange unless nitrates are low. I normally have 10-20ppm nitrate and mine does stay pretty orange, it gets more red when it gets closer to the light or nitrates dip under 10. The main reason it shows more red then orange in this tank is due to the heavy use of pink/red/purple t5 bulbs that make the red plants pop a bit more. I have never grown it that blood red colour you see in ADA or nature style tanks. Those tanks get dosed very lean and anytime you see that intense red it's from the result of growing it with very little nitrates and relatively high light.

Measuring nitrates is a real pain, API tests are very unreliable 10 and 20ppm almost look the same shade of orange. I use it more of a no/okay/high nitrate guide, I only say I think its 10-20ppm since I am dosing 11ppm so with 50% weekly water changes the accumulation should come to around 22ppm minus any plant uptake.

The hardest plants to grow in this tank are Ludwigia's, I killed the Pantanal which is one of the most demanding nutrient plants. Currently I'm struggling with Glandulosa and a lot of other plants actually having a mobile nutrient issue where the newer leaves are taking nutrients from the older leaves and the older leaves die and fall off. I might get some root tabs and use them for any nutrient demanding plant, actually I should have already.

Last edited by hendy8888; 01-08-2020 at 10:11 PM..
hendy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2020, 10:38 PM   #144
Sordfish

Feedback Score: (0)
Sordfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I have been told Salifert has an easier to read No3 test for low ranges. But I do agree that hobby kits for NO3 testing are not very good. Bulk reef supply had done a video on how to lower nitrates in a reef tank. And in the end they gave up since they realized none of the home kits or even some of the more expensive color tests were reliable.

I find that some Ludwigia grow like weeds (super red, repens etc. while others are super hard. I had great difficulty with Pantanal in the past. I’d like to take another go at it though I can’t seem to find any for sale. Where did you get yours. I also want to try the h’ra which seems to be more readily available.

I have been having good luck with tropica fertilizers at 1/2 EI levels, so I want to see if I am ready for more demanding plants.

What lumen levels do you use with your lights. That is my only concern re trying more demanding plants. I have 20 lumens per liter which tropica rates as appropriate for their medium difficulty plants. Are you using brighter lights?

In any case keep up the good work.
Sordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:11 AM   #145
hendy8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordfish View Post
Thanks. I have been told Salifert has an easier to read No3 test for low ranges. But I do agree that hobby kits for NO3 testing are not very good. Bulk reef supply had done a video on how to lower nitrates in a reef tank. And in the end they gave up since they realized none of the home kits or even some of the more expensive color tests were reliable.

I find that some Ludwigia grow like weeds (super red, repens etc. while others are super hard. I had great difficulty with Pantanal in the past. Id like to take another go at it though I cant seem to find any for sale. Where did you get yours. I also want to try the hra which seems to be more readily available.

I have been having good luck with tropica fertilizers at 1/2 EI levels, so I want to see if I am ready for more demanding plants.

What lumen levels do you use with your lights. That is my only concern re trying more demanding plants. I have 20 lumens per liter which tropica rates as appropriate for their medium difficulty plants. Are you using brighter lights?

In any case keep up the good work.
I plan to try out the Salifert next time I need some more.

Any of the Repens are complete weeds, super red was tricky in alkaline water for me and Pantanal needs nutrients. H 'ra' is not very picky, good light and co2 and it will keep happy.

Light wise I don't know the PAR but probably around 100 at the substrate with the 4 bulb t5ho I use. Half the day will be lower due to the spread of the bulbs. I run 8 bulbs for 30 min right now as a burst but that's a lot of light.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 AM   #146
hendy8888

Quick update time, lots of plants have been showing poor growth, older leaves are taking the worst of it. Finally dosed a one time 5ppm K to see if that helps. At the same time I'm increasing the co2 back to where it was a year ago. I reduced it quite a while ago when the tetras started to hide. Got the old drop checker out and was a pretty obvious co2 has been low for a bit.

Potassium carbonate is hygroscopic and picked up a fair bit of moisture this summer. It seems better now in the winter but tested the best I could and might be 20% less than what I think I'm dosing.

Green neons are not as skittish recently which I'm super happy about, gaining their trust with more frequent feedings.

New bulb combo went in, trying out some red bulbs. I'm sure PAR went down but I can't test that.

Cleaned the bio media for the second time in 1 year and 3 months, really wasn't dirty at all for how long it's been.

Of course a couple pics. H'ra' is my favorite orange colour right now.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:25 AM   #147
vraev
ADA enthusiast

Feedback Score: (8)
vraev is on a distinguished road

Beautiful pics. Looks amazing.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #148
hendy8888

Thanks vraev!

Did a water change today so here are a couple photos.
FTS
New afternoon bulbs are 6400k/660/Fiji purple/aquaflora, 2 outside bulbs on front and back mainly to give rear stems some direct light. Note the purple cast on the wall is just from that one reflector pointing at the wall.

The Pinnatifida is such a dark colour right now I had to take a pic. Almost think it's not a good thing since it's been struggling (normally it's a weed).

Myaca is quite the unique growing plant.. Doesn't belong in this tank but keep it around to see what it does. I don't let it grow much but it's growth pattern seems completely random. Sends off shoots in random directions at random times.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:02 PM   #149
hendy8888

Not a big update just wanted to enter a post to log some changes I made a couple weeks ago that seem to be positive. Macros went to 2/3's of normal when everything got trimmed, monitoring TDS it stayed pretty stable all week. I planned to put it back to a full dose once the plant mass came back but recently decided against it. Gh is back to 5 and co2 is 1.4 drop. Still adding a 1 time 3ppm dose of K after water change and feeding more heavily. Will let the plants grow another week and do a big trim then.

Last edited by hendy8888; 01-20-2020 at 11:12 PM..
hendy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:22 AM   #150
vraev
ADA enthusiast

Feedback Score: (8)
vraev is on a distinguished road

Spectacular as always. Definitely one of the best dutch style setups I have seen.