48 g Congo tank journal - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > PLANTED TANKS > Planted Tank Photos
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Planted Tank Photos Let's see what you got! Show off your tanks here. Tank journals are encouraged!

Old 07-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #21
characinfan
Eats plants too

Feedback Score: (8)
characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

Apologies for the least photo-heavy thread in the planted tank photo subforum!

A week and a half after the latest shipment, all the plants are doing well except for the Bolbitis ferns, two of which have green hair algae infestations that I have to pick off around twice a week. Everything else is producing new leaves. My catfish is doing fine, the butterfly fish are growing (and one that I thought was the smallest female is actually showing itself to be a male), and the ctenopoma in the main tank continues to be a jerk towards the butterfly fish.

The new little ctenopoma quickly got over its rough first day in the quarantine tank and started to eat -- and eat and eat and eat. It grew a lot in just a week and a half and appears vigorous and healthy. For various reasons I needed to move it to the main tank ASAP, so as soon as the lights went out in the main tank this afternoon, I did a 25% water change and then transferred the little one in. I also changed 50% of the water in the quarantine tank and left its filter and heater running, just in case.

Unsurprisingly but unfortunately, the bigger ctenopoma has been a jerk to the little one, following it around, feinting at it, shaking its head at it and showing it its pelvic fins. The little one also showed its pelvic fins. Within an hour of being in the new tank, the little one was hiding in a corner just over the gravel and breathing heavily.

I had to take out all the driftwood to catch it, but I did catch the bigger ctenopoma and moved it to the quarantine tank. Obviously it is not thrilled, but this should give the little one some time to find its groove in the bigger tank.

I hope it won't be a jerk.

I will be contacting the store tomorrow to see if they will take the jerk ctenopoma back.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #22
ksimdjembe
Devoted Member

ksimdjembe is on a distinguished road

So what have we learned here?

Some fish are not as good in pairs as they are as singles?
I guess some fish are too territorial to work in pairs, and that given that we don't have natural conditions in the relatively little glass boxes, it doesn't always work.

I'm still looking forward to seeing how this tank develops as all the plants grow in. I forget; did you put in a background?
ksimdjembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #23
characinfan
Eats plants too

A week and a bit on, the jerk ctenopoma is still in the quarantine tank. The store told me last week that they'd drop by when they're doing deliveries in my area at the end of this past week and pick it up, but they did not contact me in the past few days to specify/confirm when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksimdjembe View Post
So what have we learned here?

Some fish are not as good in pairs as they are as singles?
I guess some fish are too territorial to work in pairs
I'm not sure about that. It didn't fight with the other (first) ctenopoma that was the same size as it and that died. It could well be that it is not primed to be a jerk under all circumstances. I suspect that part of its jerk behaviour comes from the fact that it spent two weeks in quarantine with just the butterfly fish. It learned from them to prefer floating food and to ignore sinking food/food on the bottom. Then it fought with them for food and "dominance" (I don't think they cared), especially when it was (likely) also intimidated by the much larger and much more gluttonous catfish. It may also not have been a total jerk to the new little ctenopoma if the new one were around the same size or bigger.

Anyway, there's no way to tell what it would do under other circumstances. Under the present circumstances, it is a jerk.

Meanwhile, in the main tank, the little ctenopoma is behaving exactly like all the material I'd read beforehand suggested that a ctenopoma will behave: it is somewhat shy, but very smart. It does not bite or otherwise harass any of the other fish or steal food from them. In fact, none of the fish is behaving in an antisocial way. They are all getting along well. The only behavioural trait that the new ctenopoma shares with the jerk ctenopoma is that it also hates the camera, so I have no photo to share! It is eating well and growing, though.

Two of the three Bolbitis are suffering from green hair algae pretty badly and I may need to take them out. It is hard to remove the algae.

Everything else is growing well. The Nymphaea has now reached a size where it is visible from the front of the tank! It is really beautiful. (That's just one of them. The other one is still tiny and struggling after having been uprooted 4 or 5 times by overenthusiastic catfish behaviour).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank July 11.jpg (169.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg beautiful Nymphaea.jpg (79.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg A hastifolia, small Nymphaea behind.jpg (118.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg A congensis, Crinum behind.jpg (203.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg A angustifolia.jpg (120.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg butterfly face.jpg (105.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by characinfan; 07-11-2020 at 12:55 PM..
characinfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #24
characinfan
Eats plants too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksimdjembe View Post
I forget; did you put in a background?
Oops, forgot to reply to you before. There is no background. The tank is in a corner of a room but the corner has a funny shape so there are strange shadows.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #25
characinfan
Eats plants too

Yesterday I cleaned both fish tanks. I felt bad for the larger cteno, all alone in the quarantine tank. I also thought that I have all day in the house (weekend, intermittent rain) so I might as well do an experiment.

I put it back in the main tank.

My reasoning was that the other, newer ctenopoma has had more than a week to grow and get familiar with the main tank, whereas the bigger one had hardly been eating in the quarantine tank and was not at its best. It is still twice the size of the new one, though, so I was/am fully prepared to remove them at any time if things didnít go well.

The two ctenopomas found each other almost immediately and started displaying to each other -- and then the small one started chasing the bigger one around! A multi-hour series of displays and nonviolent skirmishes ensued. Nobody was hurt, and all other fish were left out of it. At the end of this establishment of the ctenopoma hierarchy, one was hanging out at the one side of the tank and the other at the other, roughly near each of their preferred lurking spots in the absence of the other cteno.

This morning, same deal. They did not fight over food with each other or with the butterfly fish. They also seem to be able to hang out for limited periods in the same area at the same time without conflict.

Major fingers crossed for this peaceful state to continue!

(Oh yeah, and the catfish uprooted the smaller Nymphaea again, for probably about the fifth or sixth time now. Poor plant. I need to put it back into the substrate again, possibly with rocks or something around it to secure it).
Old 07-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #26
ksimdjembe
Devoted Member

ksimdjembe is on a distinguished road

Maybe the tank will continue to provide calm as the plants continue to grow in.
ksimdjembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #27
characinfan
Eats plants too

Tank update, July 25th

Plants

The Amazon frogbit grew so much that I'm giving some of it away. I also removed about 50% of it to the quarantine tank just because it was getting so dense in the main tank.

The Nymphaea has put out several new leaves that reach the surface of the water. They are solid green, unlike the submerged leaves, which are covered in red and green splotches. Last week I tied the tuber of the little Nymphaea to a piece of wood so that it would stay upright and in the same area even if my catfish knocks it around. It has responded by putting out a tiny 4th leaf. There is hope!

All the Anubias are growing well.

The Crinum (hiding at the back) has been uprooted by the catfish once but is putting out new leaves anyway.

The Lilaeopsis mauritania (grassy-looking foreground plant) is slowly growing.

Unfortunately, there's been an outbreak of both brown algae and slime on the wood. The slime is probably coming from inside the wood as an outgrowth of fungal (?) activity in there. I expect the snails will eventually eat it. The brown algae is growing all over the place, on the wood, on the roots of the Amazon frogbit, on the L. mauritania, and, worst of all, on the Bolbitis. It was interfering with the growth of the Bolbitis and I could not scrape it off so I cut off the worst-affected leaves. I don't know if the Bolbitis will all survive.

I am wondering whether it's worth trying to get some shrimp to eat the algae or whether the ctenopomas will eat them before they accomplish anything.

Fish

The butterfly fish and catfish are thriving. The larger ctenopoma is still somewhat of a jerk, but not so much that I've had to remove it. It likes to boss the smaller one around, but it also likes to hang out in crevices. The smaller one spends most of its time next to the filter output. But the smaller one is growing well and is now half the size of the bigger one. In the past few days, the smaller one has taken to lurking in other places for hours at a time and the larger one has left it alone. Positive developments!

The last coconut I bought to use as a hide was rotten so I had to throw it out. I have yet to open the next coconut. (Rotten coconut smells gross, for the record).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank July 19th.JPG (240.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg amazon frogbit texture.jpg (136.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg catfish parking.jpg (172.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (76.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (88.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Menace 1.jpg (109.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Malé.jpg (75.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Tank July 25.jpg (117.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #28
characinfan
Eats plants too

I didn't think it would happen, but after cleaning the tank on Sunday, the brown algae problem has become noticeably worse. I have purchased some cherry shrimp. They should arrive on Wednesday. We will see whether they eat the algae or whether they'll get eaten before they have a chance. I will be starting them off in the quarantine tank with a bunch of Amazon frogbit; all of the frogbit roots are currently covered in brown algae, so they'll have plenty to eat while they're in there.
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #29
characinfan
Eats plants too

OK, so it's now a week after my last post about the brown algae (diatoms). Diatom numbers went down after I changed the water repeatedly, but to keep them in check while the vascular plants ramp up leaf production, I purchased a few cherry shrimp.

I put them in the quarantine tank with a bunch of Amazon frogbit plants that had diatoms stuck all over their roots. The shrimp ate a lot of the diatoms in three days. (These shrimp are native to Taiwan, not the Congo, but they have a lifespan of less than a year even if they don’t get eaten).

Meanwhile, the jerk ctenopoma has not quit being a jerk. It had the run of the entire tank, including plenty of crevices and two coconut hides, but kept the smaller cteno literally cornered by the filter output. The smaller one has been growing well and is now half the size of the jerk cteno, but spending all of one's time in an uncomfortable position is no fun. I got fed up with the larger cteno's bullshit so today I moved the shrimp to the main tank and moved the jerk cteno to the quarantine tank.

Since the quarantine tank is not being used for disease quarantine purposes right now, I put in a coconut hide as well as a mug for the jerk ctenopoma to lurk in, and this time there is a layer of floating plants in there as well as some other plant material that came with the shrimps. In other words, it is relatively comfortable so the jerk cteno can stay there indefinitely. I am really pissed off at it. I gave it lots of chances but it will have to go to another home where there are no smaller ctenopomas to boss around. (It is a beautiful, healthy fish who will make someone else happy).

In the hour since I changed the water in the main tank and removed the larger ctenopoma, the smaller one has been swimming all over. The shrimp are exploring, too, and eating bits of stuff off of all the surfaces. I hope this is the last major renovation I will have to do for a while. (And for those who are curious, the butterfly fish are lurking in peace and the catfish continues to do his thing undisturbed and without bothering anybody else, other than the plants. He has uprooted multiple plants in the past week in his search for worms and other tidbits. I just replanted them).