GTA Aquarium Forums banner

London Frag Fest 2013

8K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  darryl_v 
#1 ·
London Frag Fest 2013
12pm-4pm on Saturday June 1st, at the London-Lambeth Legion
London, Ontario

http://londonfragfest.ca

This is our first year! Born as an idea on our local website in early 2013, and building on the success of similar meets and swaps (Toronto, Michigan). London is a very central location in Southwestern Ontario, easy distance to Toronto, Windsor, Michigan, Sarnia, Kitchener, St. Catherines, Buffalo, Chatham, Goderich, Kincardine and many more. There is an ever increasing 'reef enthusiast' population in Southwestern Ontario and Northeastern United States. This is a chance for many groups and people to meet and exchange goods and ideas.
First and foremost, this is a fun event where hopefully people can get access to many corals they otherwise may never see. Our area is blessed with an abundance of elite reefkeepers who from time to time share pieces of their fantastic colonies, and often at prices you would never otherwise see! Trade, sell or buy, that's the idea! As with many things, your trash maybe someone else's treasure! Who knows, you might even make a few bucks, make some new friends or simply learn about the wonders of reefkeeping.

All are welcome to attend, or rent a table to show off their products or wares. From retailers to simple hobbyists, you'll never know who you might meet at one of these things.

Being our first year, there may be some hiccups, but hopefully nothing too major. We're hoping this will be a fun annual event.

Tentatively it is set for 12pm-4pm on Saturday June 1st, at the London-Lambeth Legion just as the sun begins to shine! (Directions)

Proceeds from the event go to the Boy's and Girls club of London, a a non-profit recreational facility that provides activities for children, seniors and families in need.

See less See more
#37 ·
I plan on heading to the fragfest on Saturday and spending some $$$, but it'll be my first time transporting corals in the car for an extended period of time. Is there anything special I would need to do to store the bags of goodies? Now that I think about it, do people have a special way of transporting corals/fish in general? I've never put my consideration other than putting the bags in the car just so it won't get much sunlight or move around.

#39 ·
Its really not that hard. People ship corals overnight (including myself) all the time. Just keep them at room temperature or slightly better (70-80*) and you will be fine.

how much for a frag of those orange/green center zoas?
Those are Sunny D and a collector. I wont say how much the frags will be (you'll have to come see at frag fest) but I can say they will be cheaper than virtually anywhere you find on the net and all of those places are in the US. ex. http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/products/sunny-delight-paly

#46 ·
I had a great time. It was well worth the 5 hour round trip drive. I bought 11 frags and won a frag display/sale tank. Lots of people and great prices. Whoever but this together did a great job. Thanks. On a side note to the vendors I was a little disappointed in the lack of dry goods. I really thought at the least that someone would be selling plugs for making frags and glue to glue what was bought to rocks. Now when is the next one? LOL

#50 ·
The Frag fest was great, I think there was a lot of people considering the location and that not everyone could get there.
Toronto Frag Fest would really rock Im in and I would like to get involve in organizing if necessary.
Does anyone have a poster of the Frag Fest I would love to get one for my cave:D

#55 ·
Contact Glen. I think though that he kept most of it generic. I bet he plans to reuse them.

However, he got them from vista print, and could probably order another one for cheap, and have it shipped to your place.

As for the TO event. I am in. I enjoy these shows! So much fun.

Auctions... Not needed at these events!!!! If you have been to MACNA, you would see over 1k people over 3 days (most are there all weekend) the raffle is huge (easy to do with donated items, or heavy discounts to the organizers of the show if they pay for them)

London frag fest went from nothing, to a well executed show in less than 3 months (pretty sure that was what it was) Not bad for someone that has never done one before!

Hats off to Glen, and I hope to be able to assist with any show coming to TO.

#54 ·
you came towards the end and thought it was boring? You should have been there from the beginning when it was super busy!!! No auction needed in my opinion since it was a frag sale and swap. Most people didn't even want to pay $20 for a frag so I don't see them bidding on a red planet colony worth $200

#58 ·
I had such a good time! The entire day was fun, from cracking jokes with peacock, explorer and alcharacter in the car up until the end. Great seeing familiar faces and meeting new people too, not to mention the frags! Hats off to the organizers, you guys did a fantastic job.

#59 ·
Well worth the drive from Ottawa, had an excellent time meeting some of you. Thanks to:

The Organizer's
Big Show and GF for the Acans
MJC for the Candy Apple Red
Darryl for the Zoa's and SPS
Frag cave for the orange eyed chalice

To POSEIDON'S REEF who noticed me walking around and I hadn't bought anything from them, next time I'll bring more money :D

Well Done!

Kevin

#60 ·
had a great time! finally got a chance to experience an event like this. cant wait for the toronto one! It was great going with Flexin5, Alex and alcharacter. Had a blast the whole day and helped a lot with info when needed it. Cant go wrong with the food near the end, our little secret ahaha. Thanks so much alex for taking me and definitely will recommend everyone that missed out to take a chance and look into the toronto one when its being planned. It'll definitely be an event no one would want to miss.

#61 ·
Yeah I came with $5 thinking we would stop at a bank but we never did.
Somehow came home with a skimmer, got free lunch, a few frags, and some awesome chat in the Jeep.

I had meant to sleep the way there but that truck was full of energy and the event itself was amazing. Thanks alot guys and thanks to alex for helping a brother out!

Lastly, thanks to Brian with CADlights for setting me up with an amazing skimmer...now I just have to do a review of it

#64 ·
frag fest

bummed that I missed this event .............grrrrrrrrrrr sounds like it was an amazing time wish I had of made the trek.
cant wait till the Toronto show .

#65 ·
Awesome event, glad I was there :)

I'm glad I made the trip out from Ottawa for this show. Thank you for stopping by our CAD Lights booth, it was great talking to everyone. Thank you Glen for organizing the event. Can't wait until the Toronto show!

Cheers,

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.