Help with setting up a waterfall between two tiered ponds - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Ponds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Ponds Show off your outdoor ponds and all things swimming in them!

Old 05-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Karen00

Feedback Score: (0)
Karen00 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with setting up a waterfall between two tiered ponds

Hello all,

I'm looking for guidance on how I can do a waterfall between two plastic ponds that I plan to tier.

These ponds are meant to be sunk into the ground but I'm going to only partially sink the larger one (which is about 5' wide) and fully raise the smaller one (which is about 2-1/2' wide). These ponds were never meant to go together in this manner but there are a couple ways I can position the smaller one such that it kind of nests into the larger one.

I have attached three pics. Two of them show my proposed plan although I don't plan to have the upper pond quite so high. The third pic shows what I'm trying to achieve although the ponds in this setup are clearly designed to fit together with the spillway already built into the upper pond.

I would prefer not to cut the upper/smaller pond if at all possible in case I decide to pull them apart and sell them so I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to add a waterfall. Preferably a pre-fab one like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000681739.html.

I know these spillways are meant to be used with a pump connected directly to them to move the water but is there anything like this that will work without a pump attached? The main problem I see with what I'm trying to attempt is that I have to get the water up over the edge of the smaller pond so...
1. Is this possible without a pump? I was thinking of cutting the hole bigger (where the hose would go) to allow more water to flow in naturally.
2. Would angling the upper pond slightly help? Although I don't want water spilling out the length of the side that's angled.
3. Can I have a pump in the lower pond (like a normal setup) that feeds into the upper pond and then have another pump in the upper pond that feeds into the weir/spillway to move the water along? I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get the pumps working harmoniously such that water moves properly from the lower to the upper and then out again to the lower pond.
4. Is this not doable without cutting the upper pond in order to recess the weir/spillway so water naturally flows out?

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiered-pond1a.jpg (178.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg tiered-pond2a.jpg (151.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg tiered-pond-with-spillway1a.jpg (196.6 KB, 24 views)
Karen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
carl
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (17)
carl has a spectacular aura about

Call me, I can tell you how to do it. 4164609922
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
nanoreefwanabe

Feedback Score: (2)
nanoreefwanabe is on a distinguished road

Pretty simple really...a bunch of rock, a bunch of silicone, bunch of pond foam... silicone 4" thick rocks to the top edgeof the pond... leave an area for a spillway, silicone down a 1," piece of rock... install the upper pond slightly tilted towardthe spillway...(ie, 1/4- 1/2" out of level)

To do this properly you would have to build up the surrounding area with soil or rock or gravel to properly support the upper pond and all the rock.

Use pond foam to fill big gaps then silicone over them...I willsadd small rocks and pebbles intothe silicone..
nanoreefwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Karen00

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl View Post
Call me, I can tell you how to do it. 4164609922
Apologies for not replying to this sooner Carl. I didn't get a notification that you replied. If you're still open to a call let me know. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
Karen00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefwanabe View Post
Pretty simple really...a bunch of rock, a bunch of silicone, bunch of pond foam... silicone 4" thick rocks to the top edgeof the pond... leave an area for a spillway, silicone down a 1," piece of rock... install the upper pond slightly tilted towardthe spillway...(ie, 1/4- 1/2" out of level)

To do this properly you would have to build up the surrounding area with soil or rock or gravel to properly support the upper pond and all the rock.

Use pond foam to fill big gaps then silicone over them...I willsadd small rocks and pebbles intothe silicone..
Thanks for these tips! With the heat and humidity this summer I didn't get a chance to put the ponds in so the timing of your post is great because I'm only now getting back to the project. Hopefully I'll have them setup before the weather turns so they'll be ready to fill up next year.

Tags
pond , tiered , waterfall