Help growing Jungle Val ((Vallisneria americana) - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > PLANTED TANKS > Plants & Cultivation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Plants & Cultivation Discuss all topics regarding Plants, Growth, Fertilization, Water Parameters here.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
kem

Feedback Score: (0)
kem is on a distinguished road

I haven't kept Vals in while, but from what I remember, light should not be an issue. I used to have decent grow and propagation with a single T8.

However, Vals hate be buried too deep. If you cover the crown (light part at the bottom of the leaves), they'll die off. Maybe that's what happening in your tank?
kem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Karen00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kem View Post
I haven't kept Vals in while, but from what I remember, light should not be an issue. I used to have decent grow and propagation with a single T8.

However, Vals hate be buried too deep. If you cover the crown (light part at the bottom of the leaves), they'll die off. Maybe that's what happening in your tank?
Thanks for the reply Kem! I definitely think the first batch died because of this because I didn't know about keeping the crown above the substrate. Ever since then I try to make sure I don't plant them too deep. I think the trouble might not be so much with my lighting but the fact that it's about 2' away and at an angle (it's also growing plant outside my tank). I have other plants that are doing well (albeit they're stunted) under the same conditions so I don't know for sure this is the cause but I can't think of anything else. Water parameters all seem fine. The other thing is that I was trying to grow them in gravel. I'm not sure if they're not too keen on that. I just recently switched to sand so am waiting to see if this makes a difference with the new batch I just received. I am getting the typical die off as the plants adjust to new conditions so my fingers are crossed that new grow takes its place. :-)
Karen00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low tech , plants , vallisneria americana