GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Just thought I should introduce myself

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  <3DwarfCichlids 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm Brittany.
I'm from a small town north of Barrie.
I've kept Bettas as long as I can remember, and only 6 months ago I realized how passionate I was about fish.
I have since been doing much research on fish, cycled my aquarium and added a few mid-low light plants, I'm looking to add more in the future.
I'm always looking to learn more about freshwater fish, especially dwarf cichlids as I find them especially fascinating!
I am now a proud mama of a beautiful golden ram male and
7 cardinal tetras. :)

#3 ·
Welcome!

Just a note, the water hardness in the area around Barrie varies widely. In Barrie itself, it's very, very hard, and in the Hawkestone area, it's soft. Water hardness can put some limits on the kinds of fish you can keep well. See if you can find out how hard your water is and use this to help inform your decisions about what fish to keep.

#5 ·
Are you in the Barrie area?
Not many people I know who keep fish around where I'm from.
I'm in Penetanguishene, a little bit aways from Barrie but the water here is hard! pH sits at 8 in the aquarium GH is 12°dGH and KH is 11°dKH.
I bought a golden ram, he was so beautiful I couldn't pass him up, and I didn't do my research. I know, shame on me. :(
I brought him home started doing some research and I found out how difficult they were to keep and that they like soft water.
So since I've been trying to soften my water every natural way I can think of without using RO. I've got my second piece of driftwood soaking after boiling it for an hour. Hopefully it helps as the first piece didn't change a thing.
I've been looking for Indian almond leaves or cattapa leaves and cant seem to find any and I've read mixed reviews about peat moss so I'm unsure if I should even try it.
I already made the mistake of getting soft water fish, I wish I would have joined the forum sooner.
I love the little guy, I just wish I could give him a happier home.

#4 ·
welcome

welcome to the forum look forward to seeing pics and seeing your questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.