GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Purple or Pink Mystery Snails

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fishfur 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any Purple or Pink Mystery Snails for free or for sale? I'm looking for one of each colour to put in my aquarium with my Golden Mystery Snail and Ghost Shrimp.

There is no rush and I wouldn't even mind waiting till Spring or Summer. I just really want these colours someday.

I don't drive but, I do get around by taking the TTC.

Cheers!

#2 ·
Just so you'll know, Mystery snails do not appear in pink. You will see Purple, but not very often.

I've kept as many as 17 different snail species at one time; the critters fascinate me for some reason. But the only fresh water snails I've ever seen in fresh water aquaria which may appear to be pink or red are the small ramshorn species. They're also seen in blues and many shades of brown, even one called Leopard, which has a spotted shell.

The little ramshorn snails that are pink or red have pink or red skin which shows through some of their shells. Their red blood pigment shows too; they have red heamoglobin in their blood.

Mystery snail's blood is green, based on haemocyanin ( common to most snails), so there won't be any red or pink Mysteries due to the blood pigment showing through. Perhaps one day someone will find, or genetically engineer, a pink Mystery. Be neat if that happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.