AquaClear 25 takes an hour to restart - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Karen00 is on a distinguished road

Oh and for anyone that has this problem and doesn't have any chopsticks on hand the smaller bamboo skewers work as well (that's what I used) although be careful if using these because they are a lot thinner and snap far easier (as I nearly discovered). I got mine out just in time.
Karen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
brycon

Feedback Score: (1)
brycon is on a distinguished road

Instead of a chopstick, try a regular drinking straw instead. It has enough flex and it's plasticy enough that it won't damage your impeller and it won't snap.
brycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #13
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycon View Post
Instead of a chopstick, try a regular drinking straw instead. It has enough flex and it's plasticy enough that it won't damage your impeller and it won't snap.
That's even better (and safer). Thanks for that suggestion! Glad to know a straw is strong enough to kickstart the impeller. I would never have thought of that! :-)

Old 09-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
martelvis

martelvis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen00 View Post
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on this. I've had the AquaClear 25 HOB for about a year (used) and have never had trouble with it.

Today I was doing my weekly maintenance and had it unplugged for about an hour. After priming it I plugged it back in and nothing happened. There wasn't even the hint of the usual gurgling as it starts up. It sounded completely dead so I rushed out to get a replacement leaving it plugged in. I was gone for about an hour. When I got home I was just about to get the new HOB out of its box when suddenly I heard the usual gurgling of my HOB and it miraculously comes back to life.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there something that can cause this (like air in some part of it) or is this a sign that it could be dying?

Thanks.
I have used Aquaclear HOB for many years and they are the best, by far. As for your problem, pull out the intake tube, plug in the motor, insert a pencil, sharp end down, and give the impeller a quick spin, but remember, the motor is plugged, and the start will be quick. Sometimes when the power goes out, I use this method, and it works every time.
martelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #15
Jackson
JAX

Feedback Score: (54)
Jackson is a splendid one to behold Jackson is a splendid one to behold

It was mentioned already

The issue is the impeller shaft

Easy fix and it's cheap

You can buy the replacement from big als or most LFS

I personally use RC car axel rods and cut them to size
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #16
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Hi all. I thought I would give everyone an update. I had to do some stuff in my tank today which meant shutting down the filter. I figured this was as good a time as any to open it up and check out the impeller. What a surprise it was to see how much gunk had accumulated down the shaft and around the impeller. After cleaning it out and wiping off the impeller I popped it back in and it fired up right away. The bonus is that it's soooooooooooo quiet now! I keep thinking it has stopped because I can't hear it anymore.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help and suggestions. It's advice like this that makes the community and forum so great! I really appreciate it!

Tags
aquaclear , hob