Sea U Marine down? - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > General Marketplace Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Marketplace Discussion Discuss your favourite stores/breeders/importers around the GTA. Post any good finds, interesting fish, deals, flyers, picts of stock, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #21
Sea MunnKey
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (11)
Sea MunnKey is on a distinguished road

.... cyanide poisoning? How can we tell if it's true? Just curious ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #22
goobafish

Feedback Score: (27)
goobafish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea MunnKey View Post
.... cyanide poisoning? How can we tell if it's true? Just curious ...
Not sure what you mean. If you're asking how you can tell, the fish ends up full rigor and scavengers refuse to touch the body. Great swimmers great eaters until they suddenly lose motor control and die suddenly, with full colour, and I've found the fish often looks shocked.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
TBemba
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
TBemba has a spectacular aura about

you guys make me laugh, many of the stores around here post that they are getting fish in on friday night and will be up for sale Saturday morning. Then all the sheep hurry over to that store and snap up everything. then post on here their great buys.

Some people in Toronto must have huge tanks that can accommodate new fish every week.

Please don't get me started on the amount of coral that is sold every week.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
Sea MunnKey
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (11)
Sea MunnKey is on a distinguished road

goobafish ... thanks for clarifying
Old 11-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #25
larrysy

Feedback Score: (9)
larrysy is on a distinguished road

Back to the OP's question - the website is up but there are no weekend specials for this week.

They are only advertising "Captive Bred Majestic Angel, Juv. ". (Does "captive bred" = cyanide free?)

Here is a read on cyanide fishing for those interested in more information - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-01/sp/index.php

Keeping it simple - enjoying the hobby without costing an arm and a leg.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #26
CrankbaitJon

Feedback Score: (6)
CrankbaitJon is on a distinguished road

Haven't been to a store that only carry healthy fish on a consistent basis so I don't know what's with all the bashing.

Coral wise, I have purchased from expensive sources only to introduce red acro bugs so I don't think any store is prefect.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #27
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobafish View Post
I think that is a very poor way to look at it, both for the health of the hobby and for your sanity.

There is obviously an extent to which the consumer is responsible for visual inspection and having the appropriate conditions/climate/acclimation process. A visual inspection and proper conditions will give you nowhere near 100% success rate, there are far too many issues that you cannot see. You aren't always at fault for the fish that aren't successful.

In this case, this is a store that imports massive quantities and offers fish at half the price of competitors. There is a reason they can offer the fish at the prices they do; both by cutting costs on the collecting/capture of the fish, and by not taking care of or feeding their livestock properly.

By buying fish there, you are both supporting and encouraging the store to continue importing cheap fish in large quantities, and continue their care practices. It can be framed in a "people can shop wherever they want" mentality, but that totally ignores the ethical implications of the issue. It supports a store to import and demand large quantities of wild-caught fish, essentially bringing the majority of them here to die. Not that this isn't an issue that comes up at many stores, but this one particular is notorious.
Or maybe the other stores simply have a higher mark-up. Really, compared to Big Al's, I don't see how SUM is any worse with their fish keeping practices.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #28
larrysy

Feedback Score: (9)
larrysy is on a distinguished road

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarz View Post
Or maybe the other stores simply have a higher mark-up. ..
A blood shrimp is a blood shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Blood shrimp are a bargain there at $15ish vs $50 at Big Als. I bought two a few years ago and got more than I paid in Big Als store credit.

Keeping it simple - enjoying the hobby without costing an arm and a leg.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #29
goobafish

Feedback Score: (27)
goobafish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarz View Post
Or maybe the other stores simply have a higher mark-up. Really, compared to Big Al's, I don't see how SUM is any worse with their fish keeping practices.
Not that I am defending Big Al's here, they certainly aren't the apex of ethical treatment.

Big Al's actually needs to feed and care for their fish, because they sit in the store for more than a couple days. SUM gets a large weekly shipment, and their tanks are almost bare by the end of the week. Big Al's also now claims to purchase their marine fish from sustainable fish farms, not sure if that is wholly the case, but it does mean that their costs would be higher. It would also mean that those fish are not caught with cyanide.

Anyways, I tend to purchase my fish from other hobbyists after having so many bad experiences with retail stores. That's not to say I have had no success with store-bought fish, but I think that citing a one-of example is not the best way to validate a store's livestock.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #30
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobafish View Post
Not that I am defending Big Al's here, they certainly aren't the apex of ethical treatment.

Big Al's actually needs to feed and care for their fish, because they sit in the store for more than a couple days. SUM gets a large weekly shipment, and their tanks are almost bare by the end of the week. Big Al's also now claims to purchase their marine fish from sustainable fish farms, not sure if that is wholly the case, but it does mean that their costs would be higher. It would also mean that those fish are not caught with cyanide.

Anyways, I tend to purchase my fish from other hobbyists after having so many bad experiences with retail stores. That's not to say I have had no success with store-bought fish, but I think that citing a one-of example is not the best way to validate a store's livestock.
Some fish can be farmed, but many others can't. I too, would prefer a fellow hobbyist over a retail store, but that's not always possible.

From what you're saying, it sounds to me that SUM simply passes the whole holding cost to the customer. Personally I'm fine with that if it means lower prices.
Closed Thread