Palytoxin alert in zoanthid corals! - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > General Marine Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Marine Discussion All things Salt.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonie View Post
Thank you. I been keeping fish, both SW and FW for 40years, this is my first experience. But nothing happen to my wife, I am the only one affected. As I said, am not 100percent sure of the cause.
I think if the doctors did all those tests and concluded that it's a virus, it most likely is a virus.
solarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
characinfan
Eats plants too

Feedback Score: (8)
characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarz View Post
I think if the doctors did all those tests and concluded that it's a virus, it most likely is a virus.
The tests typically used in hospitals for the flu are either antigen-based or DNA-based, and influenza A is a reportable disease in Canada, so I'd agree with this, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't also poisoned or at risk of being poisoned.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #13
Moh
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Moh can only hope to improve

Once I was breaking a rock with Zoas on it and got squirted in one eye. Well next morning I was in the emergency room with the eye swollen shut and blood red... the doc could not understand it... I told him about zoas and their toxins... I think he was thinking I was nuts... so they flushed my eye give me drops and sent me away... well it started getting better after a few days.. and since I never owned not even one polyp of Zoa and I will never again.so yea we keep things in our reef tanks that could be very dangerous
Moh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
kafes
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (2)
kafes is on a distinguished road

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...-wife-and-dogs

another story , he boiled the live rock with zoas on it and almost killed everybody in the house ...
kafes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #15
Torx

Feedback Score: (3)
Torx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafes View Post
well after watching this news last night on CBC , my dream of having SW tank is vanished by my wife forever... i told her most likely this guy didnt know what he was doing , but nope she said never SW tank coming to this house ...
Let your wife know there are only about 10 calls a month in all of North America about palytoxin while there are over 1000 a month on laundry pod ingestion. There also isn't a documented case of someone who has died from palytoxin from a home aquarium. The only deaths have been where people injested fresh fish that had fed recently on algae containing palytoxin.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Torx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Torx

Feedback Score: (3)
Torx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarz View Post
Especially as there is no test for play toxin. If they found anything, it isn't palytoxin.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Torx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #17
loonie
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (28)
loonie is on a distinguished road

I want to thank everyone for sharing their experience and opinion. I respect everyone's point of view. All I can say, we just have to be careful when handling corals.

Maybe we have to open our windows and doors, let the air circulate when we are playing around with our tanks which is what I do now.
loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #18
CoralConnoisseur

Feedback Score: (6)
CoralConnoisseur is on a distinguished road

I think being careful is the key to this. People either don't know about the poison, or just don't take it seriously. If it were actually as dangerous as some of these news stories make it out to be, frags wouldn't be as readily available.

Think of Alex at Fragcave when it was still around, and March at frag box. During busy months I wouldn't doubt that these guys would be cutting hundreds if not thousands of 1 or 2 polyp zoa/paly frags. If it were really that deadly, how are they still alive?

Always be careful cutting zoas, gloves and eye protection are mandatory.
CoralConnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote