65G slice of heaven - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > PLANTED TANKS > Planted Tank Photos
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Planted Tank Photos Let's see what you got! Show off your tanks here. Tank journals are encouraged!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
df001
Sick of moving tanks.

Feedback Score: (50)
df001 is a name known to all
Default 65G planted community

Thanks to another member(thanks CarmenH), we've got a great deal to start us off!

65gallon (36x18x24) Miracles in showroom condition with a coralife 2 bulb t5ho And eco-complete with MTS and assorted plants!

Of course now the pressure is on to build/find/remake a stand because the temp location isn't ideal!

And of course I gotta do something temporary to keep things happy happy till we come up with the plant list and scape design we want.

Last edited by df001; 06-02-2013 at 11:45 AM..
df001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
df001
Sick of moving tanks.

Default To make, or not to make, that is the question: tank stand

So far I see a few options, one of which will likely be decided on today.
Option one;
LFS - buy a somewhat mediocre(aesthetically) stand ready to go.
pro's price will be cheap, and can likely call around to BA and have one by mid day.

cons: Ugly UGGGGLY! I really cant abide crappy miter joints, or bad paint jobs/veeneer work

option two; Repurpose(after reinforcing) standard base cabinets.
pros - flatpack cabinets are available darn near every big box, easy and quick turn around. Get just about any color/style I want.

cons: need to reinforce, will need to adjust for sizing etc, will be more expensive.

option three(a) build custom cabinet out of hardwood
pros: I already have the cherry lumber, and maple veneer plywood so material cost is next to nil. Can design the aesthetic to be whatever I want

cons: time, tank stays in stasis till the stand is present

(b) make stand out of 2x4 and existing plywood
pros: - stupidly strong and steady, easy to level etc. Fast to build and assemble ie done by the end of today. not expensive

cons - uuuuuugly ugly ugly, and did i mention... ugly!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Rmwbrown
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Rmwbrown has a spectacular aura about

Take the time and build the stand you want. Once your set up and looking at your gorgeous planted tank, you will regret your impatience while looking at a crap stand. Or at least, I know i have int he past.

If you want a quick solution that also looks good, there are a few DIY plans for Amano style stands... or if the wood you have around is any indication of your wood working/cabinet building experience.. just look at one and build it. I knocked one off in a night in the shop and though i wish i took a bit more time finding a better way to mount the door, it looks good.

96L Planted Tank Journal
Rmwbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Kooka
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (164)
Kooka is just really nice

I agree with Robert, building your own stand is far more rewarding and you wont regret it in the end. The BA generic stands are terrible (I know from experience), their overall build quality is far from "top-knotch". Anytime I buy any particle-board furniture piece, something always is inevitably wrong with it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Kooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
df001
Sick of moving tanks.

Agreed, am working on stand design now, will fabricate tomorrow likely.

need to nail down a few details to ensure functionality:

size of 10lb co2 tank? (height and diameter) w/ or w/o regulator is fine, as i'm not sure what regulator I'll get yet.

Weight of 65g tank + water + substrate etc is aprox 800 lbs?

Want to make sure the cabinet is sufficiently overbuilt to handle the load.

off to sketchup, rendering to follow shortly.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
carmenh
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (48)
carmenh is a name known to all

Yay! Tagging along!
carmenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
Rmwbrown
Devoted Member

The Co2 tank is going to be around 22" high by around 8" wide. Everyone seems to go really crazy on the structure and builds some really bulky 2/4 internal frame. I'm not sure how necessary it is in most cases. As we have all concluded the big als stands suck, but they will hold a fish tank.. most of the time with 3 or 4 uprights made out of 3/4" particle board. My 25 gallon stand is supported by two 3/4" plywood uprights and its not going anywhere.

Obviously you need to build something your comfortable with, but it seems most sacrifice style for a bulky internal frame.

96L Planted Tank Journal
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
df001
Sick of moving tanks.

so in playing around with sketchup, I'm thinking a 3/4" plywood construction torsion box frame, supported at either end by a plywood panel. the whole thing topped with a peice of 3/4 ply

Obviously there are a lot of details missing in the attached drawings; doors, cabinet back for stability etc, I figure i'll grab a co2 tank tomorrow just to make sure on size etc, and see what I can come up with.

my main concerns are - a strong enough base that wont deflect so as not to put undue stress on the tank, keeping the base height reasonable and still being able to fit the co2 tank, reactor, inline heater, and other tank accessories neatly underneath.

I'm also now starting to think about plumbing for water changes, do a simple bypass off the filter so all I'll have to do is run a hose, open the valve and let'r rip. its about 10' to the kitchen sink from where the tank will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank stand.jpg (97.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg tank stand2.jpg (76.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg tank stand3.jpg (58.9 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by df001; 11-08-2011 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: added thumbnail
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
Rmwbrown
Devoted Member

How do you plan on securing the torsion box to the plywood frame... (glue and screw?). How well will this transfer the weight? I really know nothing about this, but looking at other stands i found that the top normally sits on plywood/particular board.. which i assume is for efficient weight transfer??. Like i said though, I really don't understand the physics of all this...

96L Planted Tank Journal
Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
df001
Sick of moving tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmwbrown View Post
How do you plan on securing the torsion box to the plywood frame... (glue and screw?). How well will this transfer the weight? I really know nothing about this, but looking at other stands i found that the top normally sits on plywood/particular board.. which i assume is for efficient weight transfer??. Like i said though, I really don't understand the physics of all this...
yeah, exactly glue and screw the torsion box to the side-panels, the main load transfer is via the 3/4" top which will be bearing directly on the side panels, the torsion box is just there to prevent deflection.

I'm sorta doing this by the seat of my pants, i could totally ignore all of the above and do something different... I'm even thinking about welding some steel.