eBi-gining of a new Shrimp Tank - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Invertebrates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Invertebrates Who you calling a shrimp!?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
lemuj
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milton Ontario
Posts: 554
Feedback Score: (25)
lemuj will become famous soon enough
Default eBi-gining of a new Shrimp Tank

Just completed collecting what i needed to get back into shrimp tank. Although i bought these items as parts by parts, it's pretty much a complete Fluval Ebi tank, with the addition of the a 50w heater.

After much thought, i've decided that I will not be using the back ground and will be painting the back black.

Planning on putting this up this weekend, so question 1; i have a nano tank that's been running for almost a year now (see signature below), i had nothing in but plants. If i move all the substrate and top it off with the new and re-plant all the plants to my Ebi including the nano filter, would that make it instant cycled? I'm also moving quite a few plants from my big tank. as for co2 still debating, i'm thinking of making this as low maintenance as possible.

Question 2; I also have the 2213 that i can move to this tank from my 46G tank, my dilemma is i want to keep the top cover of the tank, but then how do u fit in the in/outtake tubes of the filter?
lemuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
splur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Downtown, Toronto
Posts: 708
Feedback Score: (6)
splur has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuj View Post
Planning on putting this up this weekend, so question 1; i have a nano tank that's been running for almost a year now (see signature below), i had nothing in but plants. If i move all the substrate and top it off with the new and re-plant all the plants to my Ebi including the nano filter, would that make it instant cycled? I'm also moving quite a few plants from my big tank. as for co2 still debating, i'm thinking of making this as low maintenance as possible.
No, although if you transfer over the filter or squeeze out the filter sponge then you speed up the process by quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuj View Post
Question 2; I also have the 2213 that i can move to this tank from my 46G tank, my dilemma is i want to keep the top cover of the tank, but then how do u fit in the in/outtake tubes of the filter?
Is it completely sealed on the top?
splur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
lemuj
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milton Ontario
Posts: 554
Feedback Score: (25)
lemuj will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splur View Post
Is it completely sealed on the top?
no its not but the space only allows a power cord or airline to pass through... Hoping someone could tell me if these tops can be drilled or maybe cut and who can do it for me...
lemuj is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
default
Devoted Member
 
default's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: scarborough
Posts: 1,814
Feedback Score: (106)
default is a splendid one to behold default is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuj View Post
no its not but the space only allows a power cord or airline to pass through... Hoping someone could tell me if these tops can be drilled or maybe cut and who can do it for me...
i believe the glass top is tempered as the same for most of fluvals products. i wouldnt drill it. if you want to use the 2213 take the lid off. plants would grow better and shrimps dont tend to jump lol.
default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
lemuj
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milton Ontario
Posts: 554
Feedback Score: (25)
lemuj will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by default View Post
i believe the glass top is tempered as the same for most of fluvals products. i wouldnt drill it. if you want to use the 2213 take the lid off. plants would grow better and shrimps dont tend to jump lol.
darn it...i'm not worried about the shrimps jumping out neither the plants growth, but i have two kids 7 and 2, and this tank will be in a living room, i had barbie scuba diving the last time i forgot to close the lid on my 46g tank...apparantly barbie was flying and decided she wants to jump in the water.
lemuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
default
Devoted Member
 
default's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: scarborough
Posts: 1,814
Feedback Score: (106)
default is a splendid one to behold default is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuj View Post
darn it...i'm not worried about the shrimps jumping out neither the plants growth, but i have two kids 7 and 2, and this tank will be in a living room, i had barbie scuba diving the last time i forgot to close the lid on my 46g tank...apparantly barbie was flying and decided she wants to jump in the water.
haha! that would make more sense, however for my ebi i have wires and co2 tubing going through the back so i lifted the cover on an angle. its higher in the back then it is in the front, however dosent seem to make it less attractive. the ehiem tubing should level the top the same as my wires, the plants grow fine and the cover still serves its purpose.
default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
lemuj
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milton Ontario
Posts: 554
Feedback Score: (25)
lemuj will become famous soon enough
Default

started this tank beginning of January. I did the dry start to let some of my HC grow a little bit... I should be flooding it on Family day long weekend. Although HC didn't seem to grow that much, but it has rooted since which is good.
lemuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.