GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday one of my closest and dearest friends dropped off an early birthday gift for me.

This beautiful 16 gallon Starfire tank from AquaInspiration.

Here is what i have in mind for it.

Tank:16 Gallon Starfire Tank (W50×D35×H35CM)
Stand: Ikea Hemnes Chest w/ 2 Drawers
Filter: Eheim 2213 with Lily Pipes
Light: 20" 36W T5HO Aquatic Life light fixture or 20" Odyssea 72W T5HO Light Fixture
Substrate: Netlea Shrimp Substrate

In terms of scaping... I'm leaning towards using driftwood as I've already done rock in my other 10gal starfire tank.

I will keep you guys posted as i continue to work on my new acquisition :)

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
happy birthday! :D

Happy birthday!

An empty starphire tank. It's gorgeous. I can't wait for you to fill it with beautiful plants and wood.

:)
sarah

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Happy B-day man, I think this one will be the best yet. Are you planning on doing a carpeting plant foreground?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Happy B-day man, I think this one will be the best yet. Are you planning on doing a carpeting plant foreground?
Thanks Phil! I do, i'll probably be doing DHG emersed at first, but i'm somewhat in a rush to move my fauna over from my 10gal to my 16 gal. I'm having some issues with the 10gal tank and want to just tear it down and start from scratch.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
March 6 2013

So another of my dearest and closest friends got me an amazing birthday gift :D a 9lb Netlea Shrimp substrate bag along with a few other aquarium stuff, Thanks Jaysan :D

I added my 20" Aquatic Life light fixture on it temporarily until sold that is and hooked up the Eheim 2213 that i had on my 10 gal with the Glass lily pipes. Filled the water all the way to the substrate lvl and left it sitting that way... I'm waiting to pick up the Driftwood from Bigbutt this weekend, so i'll update you guys with pics as soon as it is set up :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
So another of my dearest and closest friends got me an amazing birthday gift :D a 9lb Netlea Shrimp substrate bag along with a few other aquarium stuff, Thanks Jaysan :D

I added my 20" Aquatic Life light fixture on it temporarily until sold that is and hooked up the Eheim 2213 that i had on my 10 gal with the Glass lily pipes. Filled the water all the way to the substrate lvl and left it sitting that way... I'm waiting to pick up the Driftwood from Bigbutt this weekend, so i'll update you guys with pics as soon as it is set up :)
Cant wait to see it all finished up :)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jay~! :)

Thanks Sarah, I'm hoping to give you guys another this weekend :) That is just a pathway...I always wanted to make one :) I tried early on in my 6gal fluval edge but failed miserably :(

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
March 18 2013

I finally met up with Bigbutt to pick up a beautiful piece of Manzanita Driftwood. Unfortunately, the piece was slightly too big and i had to cut some of it's branches off. I then followed to drill a slate onto the piece of wood to make it sink. I heard you could just let it sit in water and it'll sink on its own, but i didn't have the time nor patience for it lol. I took some fissiden and attached it to the branches. I then planted Dwarf Hairgrass all over the bottom of the tank. I carefully placed a few stones and voila. Everything is hooked up except for some CO2. Now i'm on the look out for a CO2 tank.

Sorry for the cloudy picture. I dropped the 4 little bottle into the tank as i was trying to fill it up with water. You can imagine the mess it created inside the tank...I had to redo everything from scratch because of that accident. Anyways...i know it looks a bit...empty but once the carpet spreads out and the tree fills in. It'll look amazing :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Xriddler :) Bigbutt had this piece posted for quite awhile now lol You can find this type of driftwood easily but not locally. It's called Manzanita Driftwoord. I did find a guy on Kijiji selling them from Ajax or check with Bigbutt's FS thread and see if he has anymore like it.

LOL! Karl... I warn you though... I won a gold medal for best Ninja of the year 2012 and 2013...just saying :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks good so far. Can't wait to see how it looks in a few weeks. BTW The wood looks good.:) Did you have to cut it much?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts