GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow fish keepers,

I have a 25 gallon rimless cube tank that I am looking to stock up with all South American species and would love some advice/suggestion on what people think might work well.

At the moment I have:
  • Otocinclus (x2)
  • Amano Shrimp (x2)
  • Rummynose Tetra (x3)
  • Candycane Tetra (x3)

Was thinking of getting pencil fish (x6) and adding 3 more rummy nose tetra's as at the moment their pretty shy along with the candy canes. Not sure if the tank is too small for a bristlenose and would love 2 apistogrammas as the show stoppers. I have not had good success with German Blue Rams in the past unfortunately but have read they can be quite difficult to keep.

I plan on building a corral for the floating plants I currently have as well as switching to a glass cover and adding a secondary higher light (potentially an LED spotlight) for the above water plant(s) as well as for additional light for the in-water plants.
Water Plant Vertebrate Green Light

·
Eats plants too
1,365 Posts
I have not kept pencilfish before but I suspect they might eat your plants. You might want to ask around about this before you get any.

Also, a 25 gallon would probably be too small for them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not kept pencilfish before but I suspect they might eat your plants. You might want to ask around about this before you get any.

Also, a 25 gallon would probably be too small for them.
I appreciate the reply!

I have never read about them eating plants and I have read anywhere from minimum tank size being 10 gallons to 29 gallons so hoping i am in the comfort zone.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My only suggestion would be to add more of the fish you have. The otos, neons and rummys should all be in 6 of their kind... At least that's the standard recommendation. Although my tetras seem to school with my rummys

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only suggestion would be to add more of the fish you have. The otos, neons and rummys should all be in 6 of their kind... At least that's the standard recommendation. Although my tetras seem to school with my rummys
I had actually started out with 6 of both the rummy nose and candy canes but a battle of ich from a local fish store when I bought the rummy nose caused there numbers to dwindle.

Good call though I may add at least 3 more rummynose, the candy canes are fairly large so I am a bit hesitant to add more of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts