Current plants:
-2xCrypt Wendtii
-2xAponogeton Crispus
-1xAponogeton Madagascariensis
-2 bunches eleocharis parvula
-HC Cuba
-Christmas moss
-Forget the plant lining the wood

Most of it was just planted as my tank totally melted after I used waaaay too much excel. Just getting started again as I killed everything.

Any recommendations? What should I do with the right corner of the tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DIY Light blocker

Wanted to upload what I made last night with the help of my father-in-law.

Since my tank is in the main room of my 2 bedroom apt, I have been getting a lot of extra light during the day - in turn this was causing algae. I built this "sheath" to go around the tank during the day so I am better able to control the light the tank sees.

All told this cost me $12 to make.

Basically it is just one sheet of fabric, hemmed on the top and bottom and joined to wrap the tank. It is attached to the tank's lighting brackets via velcro.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Glass changes the whole spec of light.algae guaranteed. move the tank and you ll see.
Move the tank? I don't think that's very realistic.

While I get the odd algae in my tank, it's nothing more than normal algae that every tank gets. This tank gets plenty of direct afternoon sunlight:

http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36822

My shrimp tank is setup near a window as well. It has been up since Sept 23rd, and gets direct morning sunlight. So far there has been no algae issues whatsoever.

http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48676

It has been my experience that the whole "sun light causes algae" idea is a myth. It might be true for fish-only tanks, but in a planted tank, as long as your plants are growing well, you will not have algae problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't really move the tank. The whole apartment is very bright. Lots of windows. Trying to make the most of what I have. I just want to get the algae under control so that's why I made the sheath

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's going on with my water? Is this a sign that my filter isn't working properly or that my Co2 isn't diffusing properly?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Does it look oily? Its pretty normal if its oily but you have decide what to do now. Point your spray output more towards to suffice and the oil will disappear but.... It will gas off a lot of your co2 so you will have to pump way more co2. Or leave it as is and deal with the oil buildup

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Wanted: UG & Monte Carlo
507 Posts
That is protein, you have way too much organic waste. That stuff happens in ponds and streams, you need a better biofilter.

But what do I know?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 4 baskets in my fluval 406. First one has a sponge in it. Second has filter pad and then ceramic media. Last two have matrix bio media. Do I need to make changes to this? Is the order correct?

Maybe it just needs a good filter cleaning?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Does it look oily? Its pretty normal if its oily but you have decide what to do now. Point your spray output more towards to suffice and the oil will disappear but.... It will gas off a lot of your co2 so you will have to pump way more co2. Or leave it as is and deal with the oil buildup

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Agreed.

The oily surface film will show up whenever you don't have surface agitation. It's not about having too much organic waste or not enough filtration.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts