GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Waterproof mat in place

Cleaned out the glass from the old tank - vinegar works wonders

Tank in place - decided to go with an egg crate bottom.
Got a wifi LED box from aliexpress - the DIY stand I got is just right for the light.
The light is great but the software has room for improvement. I'll try to get the source code from the seller to modify it.
The AC70 will be used to clear up the water initially but I will convert it into a fuge later for my chaeto from the 8G tank.

The requisite cloudy tank shot.

The water cleared up overnight with the AC70 filter + filter floss.
I left a space in the middle of the tank for my old rock from the 8G which I'm transferring after the tank is stable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More pics - FTS and initial corals

FTS - 10/11/2015

GSP on the rocks

Japanese leather? Don't know the actual name. I think this came originally from Alex.

Asterina - good or bad? I read somewhere that they eat zoas and I mainly have zoas. I lost my very first zoas to a nudibranch.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
tank

great start I loved my 40 breeder set up it was hob as well ..
as for the asteria start manually removing before they get out of hand
or if u have lots a harlequin shrimp will help but will not survive if u run out of them ...I pick mine manualy as I see them ...helps to keep them down in numbers I have zoas as well and most are open all the time but I can see how they will irritate them ..
good luck
tom

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks tom. I think I'll just do that - remove the asterinas as I see them. I don't want to lose my zoas again.

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
you'll never be able to take care of asterina like that. A harlequin shrimp will do wonders for a tank but will starve if it doesn't eat like 200 a day

Mine died after 6 months due to starvation.

Asternia really only eat the coraline algae and as long as you have enough they'll multiply so I wouldn't worry about them until they get out of hand.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
altcharacter

I only see a few here and there and I pick them out whenever I see them, should be no problem.

Nighttrooper

No, it's a generic Chinese LED box from aliexpress. It is almost the same as this - http://www.reefradiance.com/starfire-genesis1.html , except with no apex connection but 1/3 cheaper.
The light itself is awesome and can be controlled through wifi by an app from iPhone or Android. but I'm having some issues with the app on my devices. I already decompiled the source code and studying it to see if I can make the app work more smoothly. Anybody here into Android programming?

·
><)))>
203 Posts
Nighttrooper

No, it's a generic Chinese LED box from aliexpress. It is almost the same as this - http://www.reefradiance.com/starfire-genesis1.html , except with no apex connection but 1/3 cheaper.
The light itself is awesome and can be controlled through wifi by an app from iPhone or Android. but I'm having some issues with the app on my devices. I already decompiled the source code and studying it to see if I can make the app work more smoothly. Anybody here into Android programming?
I wouldn't mind having a look, if I ever find time is a different story... :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tank update -

New addition hard at work

I transferred my zoas rock from the nano tank to the new tank. The zoas are from Alex and Jay and started from 1-2 heads each.

FTS from right corner - 10/19/2015

Update on the wifi LED controller - I found a system which works. Thanks appak - if you want to look at app, you can get the it here - http://reefradiance.com/apps.html

The tank is basically a replica of my Evolve 8 but 5x bigger in volume. The live rocks are all established for at least one year (thanks Andy for the live rock and of course the tank and the stand). The sand is a mix of old and new sand. I have Chaeto in an AC70 (nitrates is 0 after adding the Chaeto). I have some diatoms on the glass which I wiped off. For flow, I got the Jebao RW-4 which is great.

I want to get an RBTA for the tank. Is it too soon?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Video update - 2 weeks

Rearranged my aquascape today and added a 3 heads purple torch with green tips.

Note: I forgot to rotate my cellphone to a horizontal orientation so the video is in portrait mode.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New additions -

Bicolor blenny

RBTA - finally got one!

FTS - 11/02/2015 - moved over the candy cane to the right island so the left island is just for the anemone until it is settled down. Covered my powerhead just to make sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some more inhabitants - not much, just softies and LPS

GSP -

Palys -

Zoas -

Candy cane -

Dendros -

Purple torch with green tips

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've got a 29 gallon skimmerless tank ... once 50% weekly water change.

I've got acros, lps & softies which are thriving. I've noticed Palys & Zoas loved the present environment ... they grow like weeds!! I'm hoping to switch the livestocks to my old 90 gallon if I ever get my butt to move ...

On a side note in regards to Harlequin shrimps feeding ... Asteria starfish doesn't cut it for their voracious diet. Chocolate chip starfish is the preferred meal as I've owned a pair of them before.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just doing a 15 % weekly water change right now. I'm thinking of doubling the volume next time.

All parameters are OK except for alkalinity which hovers around 8 or below. I'm dosing baking soda to increase the alkalinity.

I have chaeto in my AC70 "fuge" with 24 hour lighting. Just added 1/2 cup of charcoal this week.

Yes, palys and zoas grow like weeds. The ones you see above started from just one head each in my old 8G nano tank.

As for the asterina, I pick them off the glass when I see them. I dont see much now, so probably not a problem. Thanks.

I got an emerald crab 2 weeks ago, died the next day. Maybe I did the acclimation wrong.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Have a separate 7 gallon refugium tank by NAFB but not in use for the 29 gallon & so no chaeto at all.

I'm using an old but operating Emperor Bio Wheel to run both Rowa Phos & activated charcoal ... heck this unit was from way back in the year 2004!! :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't tried RowaPhos but I can swear by chaeto. It's very low maintenance. Just put some in your fuge + a cheap light ( I'm using a cheap 18 LED waterproof light which costs less than 8 bucks.) and forget about it.

Mine grows so much (= taking away phosphates) that I've already given out 2 balls away.

I didn't modify my AC70 as described in some forums but just added a mesh bag to contain the chaeto. The bag with the zip tie is the newly added charcoal. I also added a tube to the intake of the AC70 where I put a filter floss plug (It's the white tube to the back left in the FTS). I change the plug everyday as it is clogged with "gunk" - closest thing to the skimmate in a skimmer but just big particles.

On a side note, I still have a bio-wheel somewhere.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Where did you acquire the cheap 18 LED waterproof light unit? I'm thinking of doing a "algae scrub system" once the 90 gallon is up ....

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FTS - 11/07/2015 taken with LG G4

1 - 20 of 36 Posts