GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
46g finally filled with water

Here's my 46g bow front tank, all equiptment connected. Still undecided which flourite I'm gonna go with, any suggestions appreciated. Looking to make it low maintenance planted tank, so far I pretty much set with the dw, but the rock placements could use a little more tweaking. Critics are all welcome.

·
Aquascaping Apprentice
1,588 Posts
Looks nice. I would also like to know where you found that wood. The rock is nice too. What kind is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rocks are called boulder rocks at the landscape supply store where I got them from, picked up about 70 lbs for $7. I got more than I need so anyone who wants the rest are more than welcome to pick it up. The dw there are six branches manzanita that I got from the guy who ordered from the US. There is also one branchy one that I got from superpet. I just tied all those manzanitas to it. Just ordered my WagJag coupon, so hoping I get to pick up the rest of the things need. Black sand, or just flourite black ? Hmmm...and yet still undecided what fauna I want to go with...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
nice looking setup.. I would place the rocks again a few times with the substrate and brush the substrate to the desired effect. Then figure out what plants you want. How much light do you have? Are you going with co2? I would put at least dyi co2 if not pressurized. It will actually make your maintenance of algae even lower when you have healthy plants.

medium light: I would go with java fern. anubius, different hygros, ludwigia repens, some crypts..

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i kept my previous equipments before i moved. I sold my tank and everything that was inside as it was too hard for me to move. But Light(Coralife Pc 90watts), pressurized c02 with diy inline c02 diffuser and my canister filters are all going to be use for this one.

here's how my previous tank evolved....

Initial setup

Then grown to this...

and was taken down and sold at this point...

moving from a condo to a house means more chores. so hoping to setup the next one to be as low maintenance as possible. so Maybe i would go for variety of crypts, anubias nana petite, narrow leaf java fern, Blyxa Japonica, dwarf sag, maybe some sort of Bacopa. As for fauna, leaning toward on going for Cichlids not sure which ones would not tear that plants apart. Or maybe will go with discus, but will have to make sure the plants can handle the warmer temperature the discus needs. So your suggestions are all welcome...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
cichlids will def dig up the plants.. but ferns and crypts might be ok.. you might just have to mini put them down. If you want low maintenance.. discus is gonna kill that concept.. for sure. Good luck on the endevour ... either or .. get the co2 for the plants.. thats the only thing relatively mod maintenance I would have.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cleaned up and rearrange my equipments to make it look neat. Getting set to put my substrate by tomorrow. Hopefully this tank sees some water before new year. Upgraded one of the 2213 to 2215(WagJag baby!)

Plants I'm looking for:
Narrow leaf java fern
Crypt crispatula balansae
Cyprus helferi
Anubias nana and nana petite
Windelov fern
Crypt parva
Blyxa Japonica
Staurogyne repens

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
finally filled with water...

Finally got me some time to work on this tank. Gave three bags of flourite black three rinses and dump it on the tank. Took some of the plants from my 5.5 gallon tank. Picture below are below.

So here are the pics enjoy.
Initial planting, got anubias nana, java fern, dwarf sag, and hydrophila rosanervig.

And here it is two hours after its been filled and two filters running.

The bad news is my Coralice PC Light decided to die on me, not sure if it's just the bulb or the whole fixture, someone please help.:mad: For now I guess no point of connecting my co2, using the regular fluorescent light for now just so I have light it in.

Any advise, comments, criticisms are always welcome.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
7 days after that tank has been filled. White cottony stuff can be seen on the driftwoods, I believe this is normal and shouldn't be harmful for any fish? Although I don't have any in it yet. 2213 filter came from my 5.5g tank and was running for two months, do you guys think it be ok to add fish this weekend? I don't have a test kit and never had and used one before but I usually wait about a month before adding fish.

As for the light, Gucci had offered to test it for me this Saturday so really hoping that it's the bulb, otherwise I will need a replacement.

Also,these driftwoods used to have mosses on them on my previous setup, but over 9 months now that has been dried. There are still little bits of pieces sticking on some spots, makes me wonder if those mosses would actually come back to life.

Picture update will be posted on the weekend.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nice set up with the two canisters. I'm thinking about doing the same, however, i might try chaining the two - put the mech and blue filter pads in one and then fill the other with substrat pro and the fine pads. That said, it has to be nice having all the room to mount the diffuser and and the heater.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not much have change with the scape,,,i did some wood scrubbing to take those white cottony stuff...and did a 50% water yesterday. Went to BA today to get my water tested and was told that parameters are good and ready for fish.

Algae eating shrimp was on sale so wrote down 8, and to my surprise I got home with way more than that :D. Dwarf neon Rainbows was on sale too, so grabbed six, too bad no extras. :eek:. Comment about the BA, i asked the guy about sexing the fish and since the sale says $2.99/pr. His answer was, "can't really tell with these fish." And also asked him i like the ones with the red fins better than the yellowish one, and he tells me, "don't worry, they will all have red fins when they get older". I got home sure enough i did my research, and found out that red fins are male, and yellowish are females. So, i got me 5 males and 1 female, arghhhh....

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you should not rinse it . I never rinse mine.I thought thats where all the minerals are.ps shrimp are Amanos

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you should not rinse it . I never rinse mine.I thought thats where all the minerals are.ps shrimp are Amanos
yes you do have to rinse it(actually says that in the bag) otherwise you will end up with a cloudy water when filling up and everytime you plant or disturb your substrate.. Rinse them just enough to take the dusts away...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts