GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im back. Its been 5 years since my 6G Planted Tank and 11 years since my 34G Saltwater Tank

Finally moved into the new house and all situated. I sold my 6G tank to a friend who loved it. Now that things are returning to normal and my Renovations are done its time to get back into the hobby. This will be the first time I get to dictate everything I want in a tank (vs. being stuck with certain things due to tank size or space/money restrictions)

Tank is a 48 Gallon Rimless Seapora Crystal Tank - 90CM x 45CM x 45CM

The stand, i will be building myself and replicating the ADA style tanks. I'll be building it with 3/4" Plywood and painting it white. I love the look of a stand with the exact proportions of the tank so you have a sleek minimalist look like this:

It is going to be a slow build but I will post here as i progress, including uploading the blueprints to the stand.

Right now I know it will be a planted community tank with a few key features;
1) Enough rummynose tetra's to create a shoal
2) Endler guppies to create a constant supply of babies
3) Cherry Shrimp everywhere

Once the above are all situated and I am happy with stocking levels I will introduce some sort of small predator (Electric Ram maybe?) to keep baby population in check

·
Eats plants too
1,389 Posts
Welcome back!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purchased Aspen Plywood from homedepot. I now realize its not the greatest option as it isn't going to give me a very smooth finish. Just means i need to use more pore filler and alot more sanding.

Tank is 90CM x 45CM and my goal is to make it flush with the tank.. The left compartment will be for the canister filter. The right compartment will hold a pull out drawer (near the top) for fish food and then a few cubbies for whatever I choose. I drilled two holes on the left hand side (will be against a wall) and two holes in the back (for electrical outlet and one for random cords, maybe lights?)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great so far! Hope to see it filled asap
It won't be a quick build. I enjoy the setup and planning. I imagine it's going to take me a while to find the centerpiece driftwood I want (large stump in back left corner that sticks out of the water and a root system that reaches other side of the tank)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally have the stand fully puttied and all traces of plywood is gone. Applied primer/sealer and sanded it down... Very smooth
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the idea/look I am trying to accomplish.... I'm not sold on the current trunk I have with the multitude of spiky roots coming out of it... But also lots of areas for shrimp and fish to swim around
Wood Trunk Plant Bone Art

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Jesus that stand looks amazing! I love the seamlessness. What do you mean by puttied? I'd love to try to build the same stand. I gotta say, what a nice piece of furniture. I have a rimless 180G that has a stand from Miracles. I swear we're in the 1990s with design when it comes to aquariums. You see the stuff from Europe (also ADA of course) that looks sleek and contemporary. The tanks/stands we have here suck. Straight up.

Cool driftwood too. :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jesus that stand looks amazing! I love the seamlessness. What do you mean by puttied? I'd love to try to build the same stand. I gotta say, what a nice piece of furniture. I have a rimless 180G that has a stand from Miracles. I swear we're in the 1990s with design when it comes to aquariums. You see the stuff from Europe (also ADA of course) that looks sleek and contemporary. The tanks/stands we have here suck. Straight up.

Cool driftwood too. :D
You can see the before and after images. With the wood putty (Famo Wood Filler) I sealed all seams on the exterior and put it all along the open plywood (where you see the layers). After a sanding it should blend in nicely. Although I had to paint it white before I saw some areas that needed more sanding or putty.

I agree though, all the north American stands are super old fashion or just don't fit right. I wanted the Japanese style with this tank (both the style of the furniture and how the tank sits flush with the stand)

I'm waiting for the wood to water log and hoping it doesn't set me back a long time. Boiled it for 2 hours and still floats better than a boat

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got some leveling to do... A little unsure of the best and safest way to do this. I bought composite splints but it's off by the smallest amount

Also my driftwood, under water for 2 weeks now, and after being boiled, still floats really well
Rectangle Shelving Wood Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Almost ready... The wood is still not sinking. 8 hours of boiling so I screwed some slate at the bottom and now I'm starting to aquascape.

The front will mostly be sand with soil behind..

Cabinetry Wood Rectangle Natural material Lighting

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It will be low tech. I have the light you see in the picture. So far I really like it because it has a 24 hour light feature. In dusk/dawn it's more redish and at night it's blue... Full on at lunch.

On the left side I'm building a mount for the emerged plants that will come up and around the trunk (about 2 feet~ from surface of water)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. Finally have something resembling a planted tank.

Got some planted tanks during black Friday and things are looking good. Some plants are in temp locations to grow in
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass

Plant Water Vertebrate Green Pet supply

1 - 20 of 28 Posts