GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as most of you know from buying plants from me, I have sold all my plants to start over.

I started this scape with a core selection of local rocks. Its a modified Iwagumi scape, with the one dominate rock on the right. However, plant selection will not be limited as in a true Iwagumi style. I am currently growing HC cuba emersed, hope that goes well.

Specs

Tank size: 75 gallons
substrate: nicco aquasoil with fertilizer pellets
lights: 2x150mh at 8000k
CO2: pressurized, but not currently on, but about to make inlet to my external dyi heater.
filtration: looking for eheim pro 2... trying to sell eheim 2215
currently misting with NPK solution every day

Feedback on rock formation of advice on emerssion is def welcomed

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm sorry, but I can't quite see if you have a cover on the tank?
I don't mean to sound like I know this better than you, just wondering if you forgot.
Seran Wrap does the job.

Wes

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey

yeah the tank is def saran wrapped... I leave a few holes for it to exchange air. I open it up to mist ... only. As of right now, most of the plants are slightly submersed, and Im just taking outa bit of water at a time to get them use to being emmersed. I should have water just above the substrate by this weekend.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adfs

their called fishneed it.. price is in american, but works out to be about 150 a piece canadian ... shipping is cheap too.. great place to buy lights and u can also attached their t5s on there as well.. i might get two x 2 bulb t5 as well on the tank... so I get 10 hours of t5 with 4-5 hours of high output

http://www.fishneedit.com/metal-halide.html

·
9,103 Posts
Fantastic start Jimmy, looking forward to this :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey

Thanks cid, the the HC is starting to grow emmersed shoots now.. I'll wait a bit longer until the next set of pics. Current photoperiod is 12 hours. What do u guys think about the time period.. too much.. I hear emmersed setup can take on more photoperiod bc no water and decrease in potential algae.?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
asd

Ive added some hairgrass and hm to the scape, the hairgrass is starting to send shooters. The hc is also developing well. im lowering the water a bit everyday.. almost fully emmersed. I'll send pics of it at the end of the week after i get back from my acupuncture test.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update 3 wks post

Heres a update 3 wks post, the HC has really grew in, but I Think i might have fried it a bit yesturday when I put too much micro in the spray bottle... hot it didnt kill it too much... also check out the flies on top of the saran wrap... the flied would be attracted to the light, get burnt from the halidees then hit the saran then get cooked... and I have been too lazy to clear them off. So there are like 50 dead aphids and flies on there.. lol dirty. Who knew there were that many in the house.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs013.snc1
/4205_753332458832_28106640_48216707_518365_n.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Feedback on rock formation of advice on emerssion is def welcomed

Let me start by stating I have never created a tank of this style of my own, but I have looked a great many pictures and done much research. So my advice comes solely from observation, not personal experience.

Personally I think it has potential, but it is too vertical. The two rocks on the left with the gap in the middle seem too rigid and straight- too perfect. And the tall one on the right is too thin for how tall it is, making it seem very odd being at such a straight angle upwards. Finally, a little rock in the middle would do a world of good- it looks very balanced as it is- equal rock mass (by looks anyways) on each side. I would take some from the right and place it in the middle, leaving your left side to dominate.

Anyways, these are what popped out at me. Hopefully it helps you :) From the looks of it I would say this has huge potential to turn out amazing :D Keep working at it!! :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i like that .. i am currently cycling the tank and its blowing up with staghorn algae most likely due to the fert mist i was dosing.... i guess some of the stuff got on the rocks and dried.. and also lots lefts in the substrate from the spray... I advice all to spray with fert only once every week or two weeks... u dont realize how much ur putting in until u fill the tank. It has killed a bit of my hm, but not too bad with everything else. As soon as the tank stabilizes i will reposition the rocks a bit, I do see where ur coming from and ur right.. very vertical, but its hard to create those gaps for plants with slanted rocks.. but i will try with the big one on teh right.. thanks bud for the tips.. keep them coming

·
Aquascaping Apprentice
1,588 Posts
That looks amazing. Nice job. I have never used nicco aquasoil. Is it the same as the ADA stuff?

Where did you buy it?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts