GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current FTS(front, back and top!) (2/1/2014)

Full Tank Shot (FTS) (12/25/2013)

(12/06/13)

Back View

Some angel shots

5.5 Gallon Spec V
Equipment:
- Fluval Spec V
- Extra Spec V pump for more flow- Changed to a Mini jet 606
- DIY LED 9w cree 3up leds and 3w ultraviolet leds in stock housing
- 50walt heater

Livestock
- Cleaner shrimp DEAD
- Yasha goby (06/04/2013) DEAD-(10/17/13)
- 4 Sexy shirmp - down to 3
- 2 Pom Pom carbs - down to 1
- porcelain crab
- Candy Cane Pistal
- Emerald carb
- 2 blue leg hermit carb

Corals to date.(12/25/2013)

Softy
- GSP
- Pulsing xenia
- 3 ric yumas
- 1 Ric florida
- 1 Mushroom coral
- Flower pot coral
- Sympodium

SPS
- Pink Montipora cap
- Green Montipora cap
- Purple montipora cap
- Rainbow encrusting Montipora (bleached)
- Green Montipora digitata

Zoa/Polyp
- Neon Pink Zoa (bleached)
- Dark Cherry people eaters (bleached)
- Magician paly
- Devil's Armpr zoa
- Sunny D zoa
- Red Cherry people eaters
- MJC sriracha
- Utter Chaos Paly
- Oj Skirt Zoa
- Hawaiian Punch zoa

LPS/NPS
- Dendros
- Hammer Coral
- Golden Tip Octospawn
- Rainbow Acan
- Mini Plate Croral

Anemone
- Rock Flower Anemone

Specs (12/06/13)

SG-1.026sg
Temp 78.5F-80F
Amm- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0-5ppm
Ph-8.1
Cal -420
dKH -8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I finally have the time and the money to start my own little saltwater before i go big.

I brought a Fluval Spec V 5.5g tank and will be doing my first saltwater tank [:D] its going to be placed on my work table so I'll get to see it daily.

Currently i have;

Equipment:
Fluval Spec V
extra Spec V pump for more flow
ordering DIY leds ( 3 ups - TV - NW? - TV - 3ups) still not sure about this arrangement yet but will be playing around with it (want a light purple blue looks) (made to fit into stock housing)
(lights will be here in April)

Plans:

beginner corals at first ( Xenia, zoas, maybe a sunflower coral, etc)
slowing work into SPS
Cleaning crew, to be stated
crabs and shirmps for sure
Not sure on fish yet

So i want to get the tank cycled asap, will be doing the mod this week and hopefully have the tank with SW and live rocks next week [:D]

lighting layout: 0.25"x1.5" aluminum as heat sink

any kind of input and what should i add would be great! feel free to share any ideas too [:D]

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Congrats on making the dip into saltwater! You're going to get addicted very fast and just remember to take your time with the setup. Nothing is worse than pushing the cycle and having stuff die on you.

The lighting should be fine but you might want to space the lights out a bit more so they can get some cooling going on.

Also, owning a nano tank is going to be alot of pain and responsibility. I use to think that smaller tanks were meant for beginners but this only applies to freshwater. In a saltwater tank there are alot of things that can go wrong with a 5g tank and when it does happen (and it will) it might set you back time and money. I now think that nano tanks are meant for experienced hobbyists due to the extreme amount of care they need. There is so much I can get away with on my 20g with a 10g sump that others can't, due to having alot of failsafes built in.

Good luck with the tank and keep taking pics!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep i know its gunna have alot of responsibility thats going to come with it. i held out for a few years getting all the information for it and it should be okay if i keep on top of it. Im hoping to finish modding the tank by tonight and see if i can get some live rocks and corals in by the weekend, i probably wont have coral or inverts in until the tank is fully cycled.

Either way im going to start with the basic corals like mushrooms, zoas, xenia, etc. before really getting into it.

but any tips you have on your 20g would be great help for me also :D

i also hope it turns out well :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good luck!

All I have to say is keep the stocking simple and watch out for chemical warfare.
Water changes are KEY!
Stay away from fragile species like starfish. A dead star will nuke your tank in a couple of hours. In a small tank like that, a dead snail can kill everything in a day.

I just upgraded from a 14g biocube to a 20L w/ 10G sump in my office :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck!

All I have to say is keep the stocking simple and watch out for chemical warfare.
Water changes are KEY!
Stay away from fragile species like starfish. A dead star will nuke your tank in a couple of hours. In a small tank like that, a dead snail can kill everything in a day.

I just upgraded from a 14g biocube to a 20L w/ 10G sump in my office :)
I will be doing water changes every week or 2 times a week if the levels are high.

Was planning to see if a goby pair would work but thats wayy in the future, really wanted this to be just a coral tank atm so it can keeps the tank a bit more stable until i get the hang of it.

what would you recommand for a 5 g as far as cleaning crew.
i was thinking a few blue legs hermits and a few snails to start.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Good luck with the nano! It is rewarding even with the work involved. One tip i would like to pass on when i use to have a 5g nano. Get yourself the biggest stainless Steele forceps/tweezers you can find. Putting half your hand in the tank will make it overflow :( if your asian oriented steel your mothers biggest chopstick available, works wonders.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck with the nano! It is rewarding even with the work involved. One tip i would like to pass on when i use to have a 5g nano. Get yourself the biggest stainless Steele forceps/tweezers you can find. Putting half your hand in the tank will make it overflow :( if your asian oriented steel your mothers biggest chopstick available, works wonders.
HAHAHAH i'll keep that in mind and go looking for some chops sticks! :D

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alsoooooo!!! The two little fishies glass cleaner is a must have for nanos!
I have one of that mag cleanings for nanos im going to see how that goes, i also have a tiny scraper i use to use for my freshwater tank.

maybe when i get everything up and balanced i can even buy some corals from you! :D

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
I have some LR and some shrooms for you when you're ready. I'm in scarb so not to far from you.

What Long said about the chopsticks is totally key!!! I totally forgot about having my 8g and doing the same thing. I would have to take out a gallon of water if I wanted to do anything with it.

I might even have some aragonite in the basement if you're looking for some. Although it's used and I can't remember who gave it to me (literally have a few buckets in the basement for this purpose) but you can have some if you want.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have some LR and some shrooms for you when you're ready. I'm in scarb so not to far from you.

What Long said about the chopsticks is totally key!!! I totally forgot about having my 8g and doing the same thing. I would have to take out a gallon of water if I wanted to do anything with it.

I might even have some aragonite in the basement if you're looking for some. Although it's used and I can't remember who gave it to me (literally have a few buckets in the basement for this purpose) but you can have some if you want.
thanks for the offer i'll keep you posted :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the tank's build in "sump" mod.
I just drilled it so i could add another stock pump and changed the sponge around to accommodate for the new pump.
Added a piece acrylic in the filter to give it a true top skimming overflow to get that lay of protein out, the acrylic is also adjustable so if i need i can flood the tank or have it filter faster.

so having rocks and water in this week looks good. Will have it cycling until my DIY stuff gets in and we'll see from there.

going to test it later to see if everything runs fine.

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Of course he's a freshwater guy!! You can tell by how clean his house is :p

Tank is looking really nice dude! Where did you get the small nozzles from? I've been looking for some that size for a long time now

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Of course he's a freshwater guy!! You can tell by how clean his house is :p

Tank is looking really nice dude! Where did you get the small nozzles from? I've been looking for some that size for a long time now
haha yah im a freshwater guy :p i have a 30g and a 10g with some mollies (parents tank)

I got the nozzle tube and pump from big als. i just called in and asked if they have them and the guy there order in some for me. they are the stock ones for the Fluval spec v, spec and i believe the chi also, i might be wrong on the chi though cant remember

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to pick up some saltwater (premixed at bigals) tomorrow and some live rock from seaUmarine or reef aquarium friday (if i get off earlier) or the weekend.

Just a quick question, should i do a quick fresh dip before i start scalping with it? or just let whatever hitchhikers come out on their own? and pick the bad ones out after (if any)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fresh water dip would kill off a lot of the beneficial bacteria, making the live rocks purpose kinda useless. Check out dry macro rock from SUM. Its dry and cheaper and forces you to do proper slow cycle, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fresh water dip would kill off a lot of the beneficial bacteria, making the live rocks purpose kinda useless. Check out dry macro rock from SUM. Its dry and cheaper and forces you to do proper slow cycle, which is a good thing.
Dry rock does seem like a good idea, but wont i need at least 1 piece of live rock in there to seed the dry ones?

I'll be heading over to SUM tonight after work and talk to ken a bit and see what he has :D

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A little update before i head out.
Things got:
-50W Heater
-16lb of Dry Rock
-10lb of Live sand

a non productive week for the tank, work has been really busy and been getting off late but i still managed to pick up some supplies before shop closed last minute :D

Got some live sand that was on sale (2 for 1) and found an awesome heater that fits in the "sump" for pretty cheap. Also got some dry rock form SUM like MadJellyCorals said :) a total of 16 lb, a bit much i think but these were the smallest pieces already, so either way i need to break them down and make smaller piece to work with, what ever i have extra i see if i should put it into the "sump" or have them seeded and give them out.

Probably going to get some live rock rubble or a small piece of live rock to seed it when i have the scape done.

Got a few piece of cured rock from Dave (altcharacter) from this forum so that will help start it cycling :) thanks Dave.

Will see if i have time to do some scalping tonight with the rocks.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts