GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi all,

A few weeks ago in the effort of trying to kill off my green dust algae I added a metric tonne of excel (Glutaraldehyde). Long story short I killed off all my fish (4 cories and 3 sae's) and all of my plants (except for my aponogeton crispus which survived). I didn't think I added THAT much but I guess I did...

Last Thursday I decided to take my piece of mopani wood out of my tank as I realized my moss was dead. I cleaned off the moss and re-applyed some new moss. In the process I noticed a dead fish and a few dead snails under it when I removed it. I thought, oh crap, thats where my ammonia readings were coming from. I completely cleaned the tank (70% water change and full filter cleaning).

Fast forward to this week, I did an ammonia test of the tank and found it was still at 0.5ppm but I can't find the source. Do you think having the decaying fish/snails in the tank triggered a mini cycle? what can I do to lower the ammonia?

I currently have two algae eating shrimp in the tank that appear to be doing fine but I don't want to risk buying more if it means I will just kill them.

Any recommendations?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Yeah, i've added a bunch since, pretty much everything in this thread except the crispus has been added since.

http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49804

How long do mini-cycles usually take? Will frequent water changes speed it up?
No, frequent water changes will only slow it down. It's hard to say how long the mini-cycle will last. It depends on how badly your biofilter was affected by the excel overdose.

As it is, I think you should be fine. Amano shrimps are pretty hardy critters. If you want to be safe, you should add some duckweed or frogbit.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
seems the over dose of excel killed some of your beneficial bacteria, it will take time to get cycled again. Max overdose you should do is 3 times, I don't do anymore than about 2.5 times myself, my normal over dose is 2 times

1 - 5 of 5 Posts