GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, for all of my smaller tanks I've opted for Seachem fluorite, but now that I've got a 95 to fill... that would be close to $400.

I've been searching for things in bulk, but I can't find anything except one guy on kijiji selling questionable sand. I'm looking for something black, and smaller-grained to use. I found this thread on plantedtank.net stating blasting sand is good?

From my brief research it seems to be fine to use, but has anyone up here found some? Do you use it? Pros, cons?

Otherwise, please let me know some cheap substrate options in the GTA. I'm east end for reference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be perfect, thank you. I ended up finding someone with about 40lbs of fluorite (also mixed with driveway gravel...) so I just need the sand for a top layer now. I do have some buckets, about how much of it do you have?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I am running freshwater and I see that it's live sand, still learning here but that'll be alright to switch from saltwater? Won't mess up the levels?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i use black silica sand and is cheap and great for aquarium. i researched before and many others use it. i have it in all my aquariums, black or white. Cichlid tanks and other fish in other tanks. I just had a 50lb back extra and sold it. you can find at landscaping stores, not expensive, can't remember what i paid but probably one or two bags will fill you 90.

be sure to rinse it very well before putting in your tank

·
Registered
7 Posts
Black Sandblasting sand, I'm loving how my 90 g looks. If anyone is looking for substrate go for it! Won't regret it. I got two 50lb 20/40 from TSC from Bowmanville this is the link you can search closer stores from you

Wash it before with warm water in the bath tub until the water runs clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts