GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say if I was to put one dp into a 20 gal tank that has an established snail and shrimp population? I was thinking of making a self feeding tank and then incorperate it into an aquaponics setup to keep the water extra clean as my plants filter the water for the dp. I'm thinking it may work out and save on feed and should I forget to be home the do still has some nomnom.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
That would probably be quite a healthy diet if fed per day, but the issue I see is that most puffers will literally eat until they explode...really...google for pix or check the puffer forum if you must see to believe...

Carmen

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
That would probably be quite a healthy diet if fed per day, but the issue I see is that most puffers will literally eat until they explode...really...google for pix or check the puffer forum if you must see to believe...

Carmen
I googled 'dwarf puffer explode' and 'puffer fish explode' no dice. Think you can link me hte pic. I'm curious.

Well I was going to find lots of folage and hiding places for the snails to hide and the shrimp to hide and a possible divider in the tank with some slightly enlarged entries so the shirmp/snails can enter but the DP can't that way the live food source can hide away and the DP has to wait and hunt later if they come out. :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You should never keep anything on just live food. All fish that CAN be supplemented with a balanced vitaminized diet should be.
What do pea puffers eat besides live foods? I hear they usually reject flakes and pellets, that's the only reason why I deterred from buying them. I hear frozen bloodworms are their staple diet, can I feed them live white worms instead? I have a 5 gal for one, after I move the betta to a 10 gal that I may be getting sometime soon...hopefully lol. Planning to bring the 5 gal with me to university :D

·
9,085 Posts
I have mine in a shrimp and snail tank. He doesn't eat till he explodes but I can't speak for all puffers thats for sure.

I feed bloodworm and a mix of pellets for the shrimp.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
What do pea puffers eat besides live foods? I hear they usually reject flakes and pellets, that's the only reason why I deterred from buying them. I hear frozen bloodworms are their staple diet, can I feed them live white worms instead? I have a 5 gal for one, after I move the betta to a 10 gal that I may be getting sometime soon...hopefully lol. Planning to bring the 5 gal with me to university :D
That's one of the huge downsides of fish that only eat live foods. If you need to AWOL for a weekend somewhere or vacation and the IDK time/space/moon phase does not work out with your friends/family to come over and take over to check up on the fish that is what I was thinking on the long term situation there.

Now I'm thinking if I had something like a um... 30gal breeder or something very wide I can divide off 1/3 of the tank and put all the food the snails/shrimp need in that side and enlarge some divider holes so any explorers from a population explosion that travel out the DP can swim around and hunt all around the folage working up an appetite like in nature to find thier food.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My puffers don't get any prepared foods, they eat frozen supermarket seafood and live foods (earthworms, snails, clams) only. Variety is the key, and vitamins can be added if desired...
Still looking for the thread on bursting puffers, will post asap... I don't believe it was dp's but same thing...no ribs...

Carmen

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I have 2 pea puffers a BA's special (son just had to have them) I put some snails in the tank but mainly feed flake and some discus bits (similar to tetra bits) They are still motoring fine. They seem pretty hardy since I don't think my kid feeds them every day. They also get along fine with a pair of hi fin Swords and a royal farlowella. 4 months so far.

Funny but I have yet to see any sword babies but I have read the Black sword with orange fin males take a while to mature.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I haven't been able to locate the thread with pix but if you go to the puffer forum and search "Feeding questions for pea puffers", there is info on it...
I also tried the separator idea in a 65 g with shrimps and snails on one side and my Turgidus on the other. Within a month or so, the population was decimated and my puffer was obese :eek:
He now lives alone. That said, he's a lot bigger than a dp so who knows...

Carmen

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
The pea puffers My son has are the size of well peas (go figure) I have ramshorn snails 2x the size of them in the tank as well as smaller snails. I have no idea if they eat the snails but they certainly have not gorged themselves on them. They accept flake food with gusto (but like I said I make sure they have some food at least every other day)

·
Eats plants too
1,389 Posts
Whiteworms are pretty fatty and should be used as a treat only.

Probably the puffers would do fine with mostly snails and the occasional worm/flake supplement. Live snails have guts full of plant material, which provides a certain measure of vitamins for the puffers.

When I had puffers, they would eat not until they exploded or anything like that, :) but they would go around killing snails long beyond the point where they had room for them in their own stomachs. Normally puffers suck smaller snails out of their shells, but when they'd had a lot of snails, they would just bite off the snails' heads, leaving the bodies to rot. (I suspect this was because they were so full that they could not expand their bodies enough to generate sufficient suction to suck the snails out of their shells).

In short, it's probably healthier for your puffer and a more efficient use of your snails to feed the puffer a few snails per day rather than let him/her browse on snails until he/she gets full.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Snails are not a sufficient food source for a truly healthy puffer in my opinion. You can keep it alive indefinitely, but to truly thrive a more balanced diet is required. If you can get them onto a really high quality staple diet, and use things like shrimp and snails as maybe 30 or 40 percent of the diet, your puffer will be much better off IMO.

·
Back Into The Fishy Thing
1,528 Posts
My puffers will eat anything live, or frozen. They will not eat any flake, or pellets. They particularly love live shrimp and snails.

Snails are essential to most puffer's health, not only because they are full of nutrition, and Puffers are predators in nature, but also because the shells help wear down the 'beak' on a puffer.

Puffers who have been fed on a diet of mostly frozen foods will die very soon, compared to ones who have been given snails.

Most puffer web forums will caution you against feeding mostly MTS (malaysian trumpet snails). The shells are too hard. Small ramshorns are ideal puffer feeders.

But you should keep your primary snail colony somewhere OTHER than your puffer tank. First, your puffer will kill every single one, in no time. Second, over-feeding your puffer will sicken him.

[In nature your puffer would not eat ONLY snails, or only 1 thing. Variety is important. One reason to feed shrimp occasionally is that you can gut load them with spirulina, and get your puffer his veggies.]

W

·
Eats plants too
1,389 Posts
Will dwarf puffers eat freeze dried bloodworms?
Yes, if offered individually on the end of a toothpick (and wiggled, at least until the fish get used to this format of food).

·
1,528 Posts
Almost any fish will love to eat any insect it can fit into its mouth. Many lake and river species eat insects routinely. If you watch any lake in ontario, you can see the fish feeding on the insects that are on the surface skin of the water. My fish love any insects, grubs, slugs, garden snails etc. Make sure your household is doing pesticide-free gardening, and has been doing that for some years, before you feed anything out of your garden to any of your fish. And for your first go at this, I would feed some bugs from your garden to your least favorite fish. You can never be TOO careful with garden stuff.

W

·
1,528 Posts
Warning; Do not make freeze-dried foods a staple for your puffers.

Many puffer-forum people report that puffers fed on a steady supply of freeze-dried food develop lockjaw, or stop eating, and then die.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts