GTA Aquarium Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
+1 on freeze dried not being a staple. Also, when I do treat my guys to jumbo krill, I put it in a large syringe, fill it with water, and pull the plunger back until a vacuum is created, completely waterlogging the food. Air in a puffers stomach is a bad thing...

Carmen

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Sounds fun :) In a 5 gallon, you'd only be able to have one, but that's easier anyhow, since when you get more than one, you need to pay attention to the ratio of males to females to discourage fighting. I don't remember the specifics, but again, it'll be on PF if you need it :)

·
Back Into The Fishy Thing
1,528 Posts
I'll add one thing; Having kept puffers for over 3 years now, they are the one fish that makes me smile more than any other fish. If I was a psychiatrist, I would prescribe a puffer tank, instead of prozac, because it just might make some people happier. When I lived in my apartment, I used to wake up in the morning and the three puffers in my puffer tank, which was beside my bed, would waggle their little tails and swim up to the glass, and smile their little puffer smiles. This got me out of bed in the morning on days when I would rather not have. It really is one of the great pleasures of the hobby, the puffer tank. And as they will tell you over at the puffer forum, the puffer should be the thing you build your whole tank around, or not included at all. There are species that can be kept with it. I keep bumblebee gobies with my figure-8 puffers and gsps, with no problems. But start by reading everything over at the puffer forum, and you'll do great. Personally, I love the GSP and the Figure 8. Some people here are keeping their GSPs in full marine when they reach adulthood. I am keeping my GSPs and Figure 8s at a very light brackish and they are doing very very well. If you are going to go with brackish or marine puffer, be sure to get a good salinity measurement technique. Hydrometers are cheap and innacurate. Refractometers are the way to go. Budget $50 to $70.

W

W

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Here's a FTS of Zephyr's home. It's a 90g, and he has it to himself except for a few rogue hermit crabs that harassed the corals in my other tank and a few pest hitchhiker crabs I've thrown in there from my or friends' tanks...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks! I guess it would be considered FOWLR. It's only t8's, but it's a 3 tube fixture. Mushrooms seem to do okay with it. If the xenias in my reef tank keep going crazy, I may try a few in here. Zephyr's previous owner said he ate anything in the tank with him but he hasn't hurt the mushrooms so why not?
There's a koralia and an AC 110 filled with LR rubble to keep things circulating. About 150lb LR in the tank and a hang-on skimmer take care of the filtration.

Carmen

·
Registered
2 Posts
My puffers will eat anything live, or frozen. They will not eat any flake, or pellets. They particularly love live shrimp and snails.

Snails are essential to most puffer's health, not only because they are full of nutrition, and Puffers are predators in nature, but also because the shells help wear down the 'beak' on a puffer.

Puffers who have been fed on a diet of mostly frozen foods will die very soon, compared to ones who have been given snails.

Most puffer web forums will caution you against feeding mostly MTS (malaysian trumpet snails). The shells are too hard. Small ramshorns are ideal puffer feeders.

But you should keep your primary snail colony somewhere OTHER than your puffer tank. First, your puffer will kill every single one, in no time. Second, over-feeding your puffer will sicken him.

[In nature your puffer would not eat ONLY snails, or only 1 thing. Variety is important. One reason to feed shrimp occasionally is that you can gut load them with spirulina, and get your puffer his veggies.]

W

21 - 36 of 36 Posts