GTA Aquarium Forums banner

581 - 588 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
If it's too good to be true, it's probably not true?

Anyway, I took only one measurement last night. Besides the readings, I can tell that the color of the water after reagent has been mixed in stayed almost clear, which is consistent with the reading.

I will take another measurement tonight, after 48hours.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
Took another reading of PO4 level today (48hrs since restarting GFO reactor) - it shows 0.055ppm. The drop is not as drastic as yesterday but it really is dropping a lot more quickly than anticipated.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #584 (Edited)
Phosphate control

I've been measuring it every 2-3 days. After hitting the bottom at 0.039ppm, it is hovering around 0.05ppm, up and down but never close to 0. I'm trying out Rowaphos now, which seems to work slightly better so far (for the amount of material, works better than BRS GFO for sure). I'm going to continuously monitor the phosphate level, probably just output from the GFO reactor only. All I can do is to ensure to replace GFO/RowaPhos when its capacity is reach by monitoring Phosphate level continuously (probably move to weekly at some point).

FTS

Left side is full of frags acquired mostly from other reefers recently. White balancing under my LED light is quite a challenge, the photo never really comes out the way it looks to my eyes. All frags are doing well, nothing has bleached/died or lost tissues yet.

I'm happy to see the growth of green slimer frag, which is known to be a fast grower but it means the tank conditions are good for SPS in general.

Right side has more mature corals than left side. Sunset millie is also growing again and gaining the red/orange body color back.

Other changes in the tank include minor rescape - removed a rock in the center, opened up large space for fishes. This means I had to tear apart orange monticap and its pieces are sitting on the sandbed now. I plan to put these up for sale along with others that are occupying sandbed space and frag racks soon.

Also added reef sand to cover mainly the right side of the tank with some sand, as all the sand got blown away over time. I had sugar size sand only.. should have never used the fine sand in the first place!

2 weeks ago I added a teddy bear conch. The following day I see this large hermit wearing the teddy bear conch shell. Does anyone recognize this guy? It's been in my tank for more than 2 years I think, hasn't killed any corals but seems getting bigger. This guy should be reef safe, anyone have any experience with it?

·
I drink my fishwater!!
285 Posts
Phosphate control

I've been measuring it every 2-3 days. After hitting the bottom at 0.039ppm, it is hovering around 0.05ppm, up and down but never close to 0. I'm trying out Rowaphos now, which seems to work slightly better so far (for the amount of material, works better than BRS GFO for sure). I'm going to continuously monitor the phosphate level, probably just output from the GFO reactor only. All I can do is to ensure to replace GFO/RowaPhos when its capacity is reach by monitoring Phosphate level continuously (probably move to weekly at some point).

FTS

Left side is full of frags acquired mostly from other reefers recently. White balancing under my LED light is quite a challenge, the photo never really comes out the way it looks to my eyes. All frags are doing well, nothing has bleached/died or lost tissues yet.

I'm happy to see the growth of green slimer frag, which is known to be a fast grower but it means the tank conditions are good for SPS in general.

Right side has more mature corals than left side. Sunset millie is also growing again and gaining the red/orange body color back.

Other changes in the tank include minor rescape - removed a rock in the center, opened up large space for fishes. This means I had to tear apart orange monticap and its pieces are sitting on the sandbed now. I plan to put these up for sale along with others that are occupying sandbed space and frag racks soon.

Also added reef sand to cover mainly the right side of the tank with some sand, as all the sand got blown away over time. I had sugar size sand only.. should have never used the fine sand in the first place!

2 weeks ago I added a teddy bear conch. The following day I see this large hermit wearing the teddy bear conch shell. Does anyone recognize this guy? It's been in my tank for more than 2 years I think, hasn't killed any corals but seems getting bigger. This guy should be reef safe, anyone have any experience with it?

Man your tank looks as awesome as ever. There is a snake in my 30 gallon now but i have a 60 setting up. Post more pics so i get more inspiration

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

·
I drink my fishwater!!
285 Posts
Thanks, man. Lol it's been over a year already.. How's your 60G coming along?
Not bad....slowly but surely. Battling bryopsis and hair algae but I think it will be under control soon. Check out my starting over thread.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Conix67's 75G reset

Recently got lights upgraded to 2 x Hydra 64HD. My LedZeal was growing things fine but I wanted better light spectrum overall along with controllability, noise reduction and power consumption. I think PAR/watt for Hydar 64HD is better than LedZeal.

Removed several large colonies (hammer, bird of paradise, huge acro, etc) and rearranged right side. Hoping to grow things out in a year or two and fill up the space...

581 - 588 of 588 Posts