GTA Aquarium Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just reading this tank thread! Great stuff, following! I share your love for wrasses. Where did you score the lover potters wrasse. Gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just reading this tank thread! Great stuff, following! I share your love for wrasses. Where did you score the lover potters wrasse. Gorgeous!

Thank you! Believe it or not, I found him at Big Als in one of their bottom floor tanks that was full or rubble and algae. He was rather emaciated, they must have forgotten about him. So I rescued him. It took lots of regular feedings, and added water changes to get him eating and fattened up, but it was well worth it. He's a right little piggy now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thank you! Believe it or not, I found him at Big Als in one of their bottom floor tanks that was full or rubble and algae. He was rather emaciated, they must have forgotten about him. So I rescued him. It took lots of regular feedings, and added water changes to get him eating and fattened up, but it was well worth it. He's a right little piggy now.
Was that THE potter wrasse at the Woodbridge Big Als from a few month to a year ago!!! I think I saw one there and was really considering it but I had a 30 gallon and didn't think it was right to put a big fish on there. Now that I have my reefer I am actively looking for leopard wrasses but they have eluded me so far

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Was that THE potter wrasse at the Woodbridge Big Als from a few month to a year ago!!! I think I saw one there and was really considering it but I had a 30 gallon and didn't think it was right to put a big fish on there. Now that I have my reefer I am actively looking for leopard wrasses but they have eluded me so far

No, different BA store. There have been a few posted on here in the sales forum this year, i'd keep a look out there. I'll PM you if I ever see one around.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Overflow troubles

I was tuning the beananimal overflow after some height adjustments on the open channel to quiet it down (which worked perfectly), but noticed that the outside overflow box on the Synergy Reef overflow wasn't level. After draining nearly half the tank 3 times to adjust it, it turns out the weight of the plumbing is pulling it off level. It's about a 1/4" out. It's probably not the end of the world and has been running like this for a few months now, but for some reason, im super stressed about it. I contacted Rick at Synergy to get his opinion and am waiting to hear back.

Usually I'd just screw in a PVC support bracket and clip the plumbing into it, but I don't have anywhere in the back of the stand to put one and the 45 degree angle also makes it near impossible to add a level support. Im worried im going to have to pull the sump and everything out, cut a larger section out of the back stand panel and redo the plumbing so it hangs straight. Stress.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
What triggered you to check if the tank is perfectly level? For all these years, it never occurred to me to check mine. It looked pretty level so never bothered to check. I will not check mine as I don't want to lose sleep over it if it's not level.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Hey what program and max intensity are you running the radions at? Thanks!

Im running a custom program of my own preference and max intensity is around 30% right now. Are you running radions?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
What triggered you to check if the tank is perfectly level? For all these years, it never occurred to me to check mine. It looked pretty level so never bothered to check. I will not check mine as I don't want to lose sleep over it if it's not level.
I changed a few connections on the drain lines and took the box off to measure it all up correctly. When I put it back it on I tested the system I watched to make sure it all worked properly. The water level looked a little wonky so I checked it with a level. :/

Rick at Synergy got back to me and said the weight of the plumbing will pull the overflow down if the plumbing is not supported. Apparently it's designed to be used with their sumps which have bulkheads to attached the plumbing to, so the sump supports the weight. Im going to have to re-do the plumbing so that it is 'supported' somehow. . .

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I changed a few connections on the drain lines and took the box off to measure it all up correctly. When I put it back it on I tested the system I watched to make sure it all worked properly. The water level looked a little wonky so I checked it with a level. :/

Rick at Synergy got back to me and said the weight of the plumbing will pull the overflow down if the plumbing is not supported. Apparently it's designed to be used with their sumps which have bulkheads to attached the plumbing to, so the sump supports the weight. Im going to have to re-do the plumbing so that it is 'supported' somehow. . .
This is definitely good to know. I guess I shouldn't have similar issues as my tank is drilled at the bottom, there's not much I'd call plumbing under my tank.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

·
Registered
224 Posts
Im running a custom program of my own preference and max intensity is around 30% right now. Are you running radions?
Yep have 2 radion's XR15w pros on my 55 gallon. Finding it hard to get the best light for sps; I have the 120 degree wide angle lens on; they run on Ecotech sps a/b program; max intensity at 65% with 18.5k spectrum from 10 to 4.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yep have 2 radion's XR15w pros on my 55 gallon. Finding it hard to get the best light for sps; I have the 120 degree wide angle lens on; they run on Ecotech sps a/b program; max intensity at 65% with 18.5k spectrum from 10 to 4.

Ok, thats a great setup! PM what your seeing in your SPS, pale colours, brown out, growth rates etc. Also include your feeding/dosing/water change schedules and tank parameters if possible. Typically it's best to start on lower intensity and work your way up slowly. Stability in your tank parameters is more important than light intensity IMO and can have more of an effect on colouration than light intensity alone.

The SPS A/B program from Ecotech Marine's Coral Lab was setup and run by Reef Wholesale here in Toronto. I saw the changes it made to SPS over their previous T5 system across a year, it was pretty impressive. Their colouration was incredible, but their lights sat 3+ft above their tanks. We rarely have that height on our systems, so your intensity probably needs adjusting among other things. But PM and lets take a look together.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Update - FTS

ALK SWING & LOSSES:
I got busy with work for a couple weeks last month and had an alk swing. I lost both of my jedi-mind-trick monti's, my lime ricky frag, my granulosa frag is not recovering well and my seasons greetings monti and LA Lakers scroll coral bleached out, as did my secale. Funny enough my red planet has never looked better is starting to colour up nicely. I've corrected the alk issue and dialled my lights back while everything recovers. It's getting there, but even some of my zoas are looking more pale than usual.

BIOLOAD & RECOVERY:
I have a pretty heavy bioload (3 x wrasse, 3 x anthias, 2 x clowns, 1 x pink spot goby, 1 x royal gramma = 10 in total) and feed 2-3 times a day, so with my nutrient levels and bioload I think the colours will recover fairly quickly. Phosphate hovers around 0.01-0.05 ppm with the Hanna ULR Phosphorous checker. I never check nitrates and alk is around 9 dKH with Red Sea Pro titration test kit.

I think my alk issue was because of the chalices in the tank, they're pretty large and when they start growing they use up the avialable alk/ca a little faster than usual. With a couple weeks of neglect, I didn't catch it until it was too late. But things are coming back and starting to look a bit better. I dialled my lights up a little bit this morning so hopefully I'll start to see some colour improvements soon.

Purple Hammer & Hologram Chalice (the blue LED's really makes the hammer glow)

ReefRaft Zoas

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
How big was the alk swing?

It went down to 7.3 dKH from 9.5 dKH and stayed there for about 2 weeks. In other tanks that might not have been an issue, but with my nutrient levels being quite high, I need to keep higher alk. Im usually ok if it stays in the 8.5-9.5 dKH range.

I've noticed high nutrients and low alk cause bleaching, tissue loss and tissue necrosis in my SPS. And low nutrients with high alk causes similar issues. That's why the zeo guys all run low low alk levels.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts