GTA Aquarium Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It went down to 7.3 dKH from 9.5 dKH and stayed there for about 2 weeks. In other tanks that might not have been an issue, but with my nutrient levels being quite high, I need to keep higher alk. Im usually ok if it stays in the 8.5-9.5 dKH range.

I've noticed high nutrients and low alk cause bleaching, tissue loss and tissue necrosis in my SPS. And low nutrients with high alk causes similar issues. That's why the zeo guys all run low low alk levels.
From 9.5dkH went down to 7.3 dkH i think not to much.
my tank dropped 3 dkH per days , Morning tes at 10 and evening went down 6.5 to 7 ...all my corals still happy until now

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
From 9.5dkH went down to 7.3 dkH i think not to much.
my tank dropped 3 dkH per days , Morning tes at 10 and evening went down 6.5 to 7 ...all my corals still happy until now
That's a pretty big swing. Im assuming you don't have any SPS in there?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
That's a pretty big swing. Im assuming you don't have any SPS in there?
1 -huge piece 30"×18" montipora
1- 12x12 monti
1-10×6 monti
1-10×10 acro
1-6" acro and few more small pieces.
That why my dosing pump working like crazy, they eat 150ml Alk per day :))

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
1 -huge piece 30"×18" montipora
1- 12x12 monti
1-10×6 monti
1-10×10 acro
1-6" acro and few more small pieces.
That why my dosing pump working like crazy, they eat 150ml Alk per day :))
If that's working for you, thats great! Just goes to show how every system is different. I'd still work on stabilizing that daily swing by breaking up your dosing throughout the day. Most dosing pumps will allow you to divide your daily dose into multiple scheduled doses.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Piccy time

Just a few fun pics. Im getting some slime algae so i've started the DIY GFO/Carbon reactor up (working great). I've got a big 'manual slime removal' session planned on the next water change. That should kick it with regular GFO replacement.

·
Notorious Reefin'
638 Posts
Just a few fun pics. Im getting some slime algae so i've started the DIY GFO/Carbon reactor up (working great). I've got a big 'manual slime removal' session planned on the next water change. That should kick it with regular GFO replacement.

sweet shots

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Photo update

I haven't done an update in a while as i've been working on REEFED.ca and getting that running, thanks for all your support! Most of my corals have been growing well except my chalices which took a hit and receded a lot last month. Likely because I added too much GFO to my reactor. I've since scaled back the GFO and while I had to frag them quite significantly, they seem to be recovering. I finally got my zoa frags placed in the rockwork and off of the frag rack! Im excited to watch them grow in!
Im thinking about adding a few fast growing SPS frags to the top section of the tank, but still not sure.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Great pictures Elliot as usual is good to see an update we have a few tanks or treads have not been update in a while Im wondering if we all got too busy with life. Anyhow thanks for sharing and good to see some classic zoas..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Great pictures Elliot as usual is good to see an update we have a few tanks or treads have not been update in a while Im wondering if we all got too busy with life. Anyhow thanks for sharing and good to see some classic zoas..
Thanks Alex! :D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I have a couple strawberry conch and lots of nassarius that do a good job keeping it clean. I partially vacuum a small area each month as well. Honestly, it's the flow from my MP40's that keep it clean, I have turbulent (not necessarily strong) flow that moves the sand around a little and lifts up any detritus before it settles.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Macro Lens: Canon EF-S 60mm Macro

After reviewing Canon's EF 100mm f2.8L IS and EF-S 60mm USM macro lenses on REEFED.ca (https://reefed.ca/photography-canon-ef-s-60mm-f2-8-macro-vs-ef-100m-f2-8l-is-macro/), I decided to get the 60mm macro and absolutely love it! Best buy have a couple of open box lenses for only $363!
I've found there is some confusion around macro lenses. Even I used to think that a true macro lens had to be 100mm+ and that the 90mm or 60mm macro lenses wouldn't produce such detailed close up's as the 100mm lenses. But honestly, I found that most of the time I want a detailed closeup shot, not an actual 1:1 magnification (macro) shot. So I got an open box 60mm and it's doing a great job! The auto-focus is even fast enough to capture my wrasses!

·
Registered
13 Posts
"*ADDITIONAL NOTE ABOUT REEF SYNERGY WARRANTY* - For the warranty to apply the overflow must be used with a tank stand built by Reef Synergy, or a stand that they approve in writing before use. Contact them ahead of time and make sure to get approval BEFORE you install the overflow. "

Good to know, thank you! Awesome set up!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Nice pics! Does the potter chase the leopard ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, the potters wrasse is a little smaller than the leopard wrasse and was added to the tank after the leopard was settled. They all get on very well, no chasing or aggression. Which I expected when I put them in the 40, but they've been fine.
I expected to have to pull one of the wrasses out because of aggression, but as they're still ok Im going to remove a couple of the lyretail anthias. I have a fish trap in the tank right now hoping to catch a couple soon.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
"*ADDITIONAL NOTE ABOUT REEF SYNERGY WARRANTY* - For the warranty to apply the overflow must be used with a tank stand built by Reef Synergy, or a stand that they approve in writing before use. Contact them ahead of time and make sure to get approval BEFORE you install the overflow. "

Good to know, thank you! Awesome set up!
Thanks! and no worries. Rick at Reef Synergy is a great guy, just shoot him an email for confirmation on your setup and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
New Chalices

I picked up a couple great looking chalices at Coral Reef Shop today. Some insane colours! They're about the size of a TLF feeding ring, except for the green striped one, it's almost 5" long. I haven't been this excited about new corals in ages!

81 - 100 of 120 Posts