GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After several years of success, I moved house. . . and my reef has never really recovered. On top of that I have changed tanks 2-3 times in my new place over the last year and a half trying to get things to work and fit in my home office. None of it has really worked very well.

So im setting up a more permanent tank and putting some patience back into practice. Attached is a picture of my current setup, and the *new* setup!

New Setup Specs:
Display:
75 gallon 48x20x20, Eurobraced Starphire, External Beananimal overflow. (all by Miracles Aquariums).
Sump: 30x14x18 Rimless, 3 compartments. Skimmer, unassigned, return.
Stand: 48x20x40 for optimal viewing and inside tank reach. (I can touch all areas inside the tank without a step-stool).

Equipment Plan:
Lighting:
2 x 150w JBJ Halide lamps / 4 x T5s. (may replace halides with LED's later).
Return Pump: Eheim 1262
Skimmer: Reef Octopus SRO-2000 or NWB-150.

NOTE:

In my original thread, I called it a 68 gallon tank. Technically, without rocks or sand, and with the overflow operational it will hold just over 68 gallons of water. However, as its outside dimensions are 48x20x20, many generalize this as a 75 gallon, so im just going to go with it. Internally, if it didn't have an overflow cut-out, it could hold 75 gallons, soo . . . . whatever.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sump & External Overflow

Im going to hard-line a 1" beananimal overflow with 3/4" returns. The removable overflow grate is awesome! It really covers things nicely.
The external overflow box is rock solid! im really impressed with it.

I also have a BH-1000 hang-on skimmer to get things started. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starting the plumbing

I cut out the back of the stand on one side to fit the plumbing through. Im going to do the same on the right hand side for the return lines, but much smaller.
I think this will add some great ventilation too, which will help the skimmer and keep the humidity and temp down. Win win.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also just ordered 55lbs of marco rock from Incredible Aquariums ([email protected] on here). But they are waiting for a shipment, so I probably wont get it until next week. :(

Does anyone have any dry marco rock, or BRS reef saver rock they want to get rid of?

·
moved on...
6,341 Posts

·
moved on...
6,341 Posts
I would not go with the Blaster pump and Reef Octopus if you expect quiet system.
I used these and they are noisy. Octopus are best skimmer, but very sensitive to the chemistry (patty, glue, etc) and requires constant water level for good operation.
As per user guide for Octopus 2000 (which I had), the skimmer output should be above water level and it crates noise from the waterfall. I used Filter Media Bag attached to outlet for noise reduction
but this skimmer is much better than Vertex and also has unbelievable good customer service.

pumps are very powerfull

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would not go with the Blaster pump and Reef Octopus if you expect quiet system.
I used these and they are noisy. Octopus are best skimmer, but very sensitive to the chemistry (patty, glue, etc) and requires constant water level for good operation.
As per user guide for Octopus 2000 (which I had), the skimmer output should be above water level and it crates noise from the waterfall. I used Filter Media Bag attached to outlet for noise reduction
but this skimmer is much better than Vertex and also has unbelievable good customer service.

pumps are very powerfull
My overflow will be silent, so im not going to sweat a bit of noise from the skimmer. But, that is a valid point and good to know about the skimmer output. I might look at the BM Curve 7. I had an RO NWB-110 years ago and loved it.
Ive heard great things about water blasters being quiet and powerful? But maybe a more reliable Eheim 1262 would work better? hmm . . .

As always, thanks for the input Sig!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nice looking tank dude!!!::D keep it up and ill be following along to see your progression.
Thanks man. Im sure i'll be coming to you to pick up some frags once this beast has cycled!

That goes for you too Alex!

Elliot thats a very clean set up, is it going to be a mix reef?;)
Yes, mixed reef with some serious space for lots of SPS, but I want to get all my equipment in place first and let the tank mature a bit.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Corals going into the new setup

Just a few pics from my 20 gallon of corals that will be going into the new tank once it's cycled.
The green monti is growing crazy fast!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plumbing the Bean

The bulkheads finally arrived from GH, so on with the plumbing! (not the most professional plumbing mind you).

The unions will help with any future maintenance and/or cleaning. The durso line is spa-flex only because I happened to have it lying around and 1 x 10ft length of PVC just didn't quite do all 3 lines.
The return lines were kind of a pain to run. They will work, but hiding stuff under the stand requires a few 90's. Running spa-flex would have been easier for these, but im happy with the results. I definitely prefer the hard lined PVC.
The bulkheads for the return lines stick out quite a bit, so when I added the 90 onto it its about 3" out from the back of the tank. I wasn't very pleased with this at first, but it does give me some space to access the union and doesn't really make much of a difference over all. So im good with it. Trying to get all the barcode stickers off is really going to suck.

Im just debating whether or not to spray all the plumbing matt black to hide it better. . . ?

Attachments

·
Dis-membered
2,408 Posts
Looks great! I know I wished I took the time to paint my plumbing a day or 2 after I filled my tank...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks great! I know I wished I took the time to paint my plumbing a day or 2 after I filled my tank...
I got some matt black spray paint from lowes. Sprayed a test piece, so I'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also just ordered 55lbs of marco rock from Incredible Aquariums ([email protected] on here). But they are waiting for a shipment, so I probably wont get it until next week. :(

Does anyone have any dry marco rock, or BRS reef saver rock they want to get rid of?
IA still doesn't have the rock in, and there's also a heavy items shipping charge, so im just going to pick some up at SUM as its the same price, but I can hand pick it myself.
Im also considering ordering some BRS reef saver rock, but its only worth the shipping if I get the skimmer from them too. . . decisions decisions.

1 - 20 of 335 Posts