GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greets everyone! Aquatic plant goodness up for grabs. Pics below taken today from my 75G.

1. Vallisneria am. Rubra Serpanta. Foot long $5.
2. Peacock Moss. Golf ball clump $5.
3. Rotala Rotundifolia. 10 stems for $5.
4. Ludwigia Broadleaf. 5 stems for $5.
5. Pellia (Monosolenium Tenerum) bush on flat rock. approx. 4" x 2", $8. (SOLD)

Rotala and Broadleaf, in particular, are quite colourful under good light as you'll see, and contribute a nice splash of colour to your scape. Pickup only please. Bayview & Eglinton. $10 minimum, or $25 for well portioned package.

Xen

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks, Vrodolfo! Looks pretty cool under lunar light, too. It's home to four very happy frogs—living large—and will look even better after a good trim.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loving the positive feedback! I might have to post some pics in Planted Tank Photos section sometime…

Trimming is all done by hand with a long pair of scissors. Plus I was a bit surprised with just how useful curved tweezers were when it came to bunches and plantlets.

As for controlling growth, I happened upon the method by accident. I had a monster walking catfish that was a bloody terror to everything, and a digger to boot! No chance of having much of a planted tank with him around. So I tried using flat rocks dug into the substrate, placing them vertically—kind of like a boxed garden. It worked for the most part to control the digging. The spinoff was that it also prevented plant creep, which results in the controlled (compartmentalized) growth you see.

Sameer, it is a 75 gallon tank. Some of those crazy vals you pointed out have grown to nearly 2" in width. Rotala is a nice compliment on the other side. They're both awesome background plants and easy enough to trim before populating the surface of your tank.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Loving the positive feedback! I might have to post some pics in Planted Tank Photos section sometime…

Trimming is all done by hand with a long pair of scissors. Plus I was a bit surprised with just how useful curved tweezers were when it came to bunches and plantlets.

As for controlling growth, I happened upon the method by accident. I had a monster walking catfish that was a bloody terror to everything, and a digger to boot! No chance of having much of a planted tank with him around. So I tried using flat rocks dug into the substrate, placing them vertically-kind of like a boxed garden. It worked for the most part to control the digging. The spinoff was that it also prevented plant creep, which results in the controlled (compartmentalized) growth you see.

Sameer, it is a 75 gallon tank. Some of those crazy vals you pointed out have grown to nearly 2" in width. Rotala is a nice compliment on the other side. They're both awesome background plants and easy enough to trim before populating the surface of your tank.
Great control idea!

Do U use Co2?
Ferts?
What kinda light?
Watts/gal?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back at ya, Benny.

Scotmando, to answer your questions, I was dosing but stopped a month or so ago to kill off minor hair algae issue. Light is T5 65W Coralife Lunar Aqualight. WPG 3.5. Planning on CO2 this Summer, and have been wanting to do it for months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am quite certain it is Peacock Moss. The pic you see has oxygen bubbles lifting everything up. When bubbles are gone, the moss fans out like the tail of a peacock. I have java moss in another tank, but Peacock has more character in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts