GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - just wondering... would there be a concern with rust within the internal components of a Eheim Classic canister filter if it was used in a saltwater tank?

·
Banned
714 Posts
Hi all - just wondering... would there be a concern with rust within the internal components of a Eheim Classic canister filter if it was used in a saltwater tank?
The only metal the water comes in contact with as far as I know is the impeller's magnetic base.

You sure you want to use an Eheim for SW?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would steer clear of canister filters with saltwater. Lots of info out there on the risks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only metal the water comes in contact with as far as I know is the impeller's magnetic base.

You sure you want to use an Eheim for SW?
Thank you. I'm not using it on saltwater - it's just that the person before me did, so I was just wondering what effect that may have had on the canister. I opened it up and checked the impeller and it seems ok. I tried running it and it does make a bit of noise, but that could be just wear and tear and I may need to replace the impeller in future anyways.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would steer clear of canister filters with saltwater. Lots of info out there on the risks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Thanks - am actually going to use it on a freshwater tank but the canister came from a SW tank...

·
Banned
714 Posts
As long as it still runs there's nothing wrong with it. Did you give everything a good rinse? Especially the media?

Should work for you for a long time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - yes I rinsed everything and cleaned out the impeller as well. Seems to be in good shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts