GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined this site recently. I've been keeping fish for about 8 years now, mostly planted tanks, and mostly low tech but now with bright lighting, decent media and Excel. I have one 30 gallon planted tank and a betta in a 5 gallon tank at the moment.

I used to be active on the KWAS forum while I lived there and I see at least a few of them on here.

Right now my focus is on just maintaining what I have and collecting plants (I'm up to 4 species of Hygrophilia including pinnatifida and balsamica (both recent acquisitions) and hope to start collecting Cryptocoryne species again (and flowering them when I get more space).

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Markham's getting to be fish mecca for GTA.. they have more stores, I do believe, than anywhere else now. Glad I get there every couple of weeks.. so welcome, and enjoy. Always nice to see new members, no matter where they are from.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I guess it depends how narrowly one defines Markham. When I go to Markham, I'm around Woodbine and 7. I often run up to Kim's Nature, at 48 and Major Mac, also to Shrimpfever in Unionville. I might also go to Big Als Vaughn store.. I think those are all Markham. And I must confess, I only do Freshwater, so if there are reef stores, I won't necessarily know about them at all.

Then I head down Kennedy and while I'm not sure it is technically Markham any more, there is Lucky's in the Pacific Mall, at Steeles, Frank's place, I forget what he's calling it, sorry, in the Splendid China Mall right across from Pacific Mall, and the lovely Nature aquarium store, the name also escapes me just now, shame on me, but it's just south of Steeles, east side of Kennedy. Worth seeing just for their fantastic display tanks, and they have shrimp and a ton of stuff, starfire tanks, etc., that are hard to find most places, nice guys too. I might also run down to Big Als in Scarborough, which I admit is well out of the way from the others, but it's also worth a visit now and then if you can get there.

And I am quite sure there are one or two others in the area I don't know well enough, and have not been to.. I believe another is near Steeles and Kennedy, that does Discus mainly.. someone will know what it is, or check the Marketplace listings here, most stores are listed with some commentary on them, addresses, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome and awesome to see a list of stores I need to track down. At the moment I'd say the two I visit most often are Menagerie and BAs North York so anything closer would be great. (I have been to Lucky's before and while they had some interesting plants I later found those same plants at Menagerie for almost half the price for bigger specimens. Still, not a bad store). And the BAs in Scarborough is definitely worth a visit if you're already down Kennedy. I've got quite the list of stores to visit when I'm at Pacific Mall next though.

·
Banned
714 Posts
I guess it depends how narrowly one defines Markham. When I go to Markham, I'm around Woodbine and 7. I often run up to Kim's Nature, at 48 and Major Mac, also to Shrimpfever in Unionville. I might also go to Big Als Vaughn store.. I think those are all Markham. And I must confess, I only do Freshwater, so if there are reef stores, I won't necessarily know about them at all.

Then I head down Kennedy and while I'm not sure it is technically Markham any more, there is Lucky's in the Pacific Mall, at Steeles, Frank's place, I forget what he's calling it, sorry, in the Splendid China Mall right across from Pacific Mall, and the lovely Nature aquarium store, the name also escapes me just now, shame on me, but it's just south of Steeles, east side of Kennedy. Worth seeing just for their fantastic display tanks, and they have shrimp and a ton of stuff, starfire tanks, etc., that are hard to find most places, nice guys too. I might also run down to Big Als in Scarborough, which I admit is well out of the way from the others, but it's also worth a visit now and then if you can get there.

And I am quite sure there are one or two others in the area I don't know well enough, and have not been to.. I believe another is near Steeles and Kennedy, that does Discus mainly.. someone will know what it is, or check the Marketplace listings here, most stores are listed with some commentary on them, addresses, etc.
When you remember what Frank's store is called can you PM me with the name? I really liked Frank.. Got an amazing quality angel from him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't know there were so many stores in Markham. I've only been visiting AI, Kim's Nature and Petsmart since they are so close to me in the east end of Markham.

I'll definitely take a look at the others sometime.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts