GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I know alot of people have been asking for another contest that will allow all of our members to participate and I've talked to a few sponsors and I've come up with a solid base to be able to announce that we will be doing another GTAA nano contest.

Four sponsors have signed on so far to help us with this contest so please feel free to thank them next time you are in and give them your money and a nice handshake

So far we have:
Advance Reef Aquatics
Aqua Inspiration
Shrimp Fever
MOPS.ca

To any LFS's that would like to sponsor any of the categories please PM me and we can chat. I would rather talk on the phone so please include your phone number and contact info

I will be working on more and different prizing in the next few weeks but I wanted to give everyone a heads up that this contest should start Jan 1st or around there depending on my life :p:cool::confused:

The categories (so far) will be:
Freshwater mixed
Planted/shrimp
Saltwater
Youth (under 16 years of age)

Each category will have a winner and there will also be a overall winner. I'm hoping to get prizing for each but please understand that it is the christmas season and all of our LFS's are extremely busy taking care of their customers. We are very fortunate to have stores willing to help this community in yet another contest for you guys so again...please stop in and say thanks.

More rules to come in the next few weeks but feel free to throw in your comments. Rude comments and off topic comments will be deleted and dealt with :D:D:D:cool::cool:

Thanks guys and lets get ready to show Canada what the GTAA can do with a small tank!!!!

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm thinking nano under 25g? Or should we do 20g? Anything larger and I think this wouldn't be considered a nano.

Also there will be a award for "most crafty/diy" and this will include all categories. For instance...making a SW tank out of a coffee pot (yes it's been done) or a micro shrimp tank out of a 2 gallon jug (been done as well) or even a planted tank in your car!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
This sounds like a really fun idea. :)
I just started my 20g nano FOWLR this week so it will not be very pretty for awhile tho. Maybe someday!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I thought I'd get my kids (9/10 yr olds) to try over the holidays. Never been part of a contest so please forgive any stupid questions such as:
- What exactly is a nano contest, besides a small tank (<20g)?
- Are you judging for looks, level of difficulty, creativity, ingenuity ...?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Would I be able to enter from Kingston? I'd love to participate, might even take part even if I wasn't an official entry

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone can enter when we start. Although if you win a prize it might be difficult to get it, all depends on the sponsor

·
9,104 Posts
Soooo excited to see what the kids do! :)

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a heads up!!! We have another sponsor for this contest.
Dan at MOPS.ca has come thru yet again for our community and graciously donated a nice prize!! So that makes a total of four sponsors so far!

If any other potential sponsors are out there please PM me and we can chat :)

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
contest

Reallly ??????

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry guys. Site isn't being managed the same anymore so all the contests and other things I was involved with like the BBQ is suspended until further notice

·
JAX
2,949 Posts
I knew that was the reason

I have a feeling Gtaa is not going to be the same

Thanks though for doing all that you did for the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
what do you mean not being managed the same?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
read it, why is the contest cancelled exactly?

·
The GBR Guy
1,419 Posts
So new management = no contests? i though the guy was just a technical guy (thats what i got from the thread)
The new mods or owners have nothing to do with the contest. If alt was approached then im sure he would have shown us or said something. he just stopped the contest himself. I think the new owner stated they had nothing to do with the 'postponement' of the contest.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Yes Alt has decided on his own to halt the contest. It had nothing to do with me or the new owner. I've encouraged him to reconsider because I think it would be awesome.

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most contests lately have been done thru me. I have brought on quite a few vendors and LFS's to help with the forums. Other forums charge upwards of $1800 per year for a sponsorship while we only charge $20 or a donation towards prizing. Most business's see this type of advertising as amazing since it's affordable and they can pinpoint their customers.

When the forums was owned and operated by the old owner we were allowed to run things the way we wanted...pretty much...since the owner had other interests. So the mods did it for free since the website was free anyways right?

Now that the website is owned by a company who is driven by making money off the website wouldn't it make sense to pay the mods? Since we are on here more than the owners or their employees and they are the ones making money off us right? I have asked if we would be compensated but haven't had a reply yet.

This would be like going to work and not getting paid...why do it?

I also feel that since I was the one that made these relationships with the vendors and business's it's only fair to ensure that aren't being used by a third party company that is only interested in making money. These are small business's that we all support locally and go in frequently to buy our products so we should keep supporting them without having these companies be hassled by the idea that they might have to pay more out of their pockets in the future.

I hope that the new owners don't sway towards charging the vendors like every other forum out there. This would only hurt the hobby more since that money has to come from somewhere right? The LFS pays $1000 for a sponsorship and they just hike up the prices or just go out of business.

A contest would just be counterproductive in this situation...

What the forum members were asking for was a place where they wouldn't have advertising and we came up with a solution to charge $20 per year so members would have that benefit. Now those members have been shafted...The same members we promised that there would be no advertising.

You can see I don't have too much trust in the old owner or the new one so this is why I shutdown the contest. Faith...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts